New smart phone: HTC HD2 or Nokia n900 or Motorola Droid?
Nov 10, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 60
I'll admit it took me a little while to work it all out.. these really are microcomputers with a phone program added in there. The good thing about the interface is it can be as sparse or as densely packed as you want, very configurable. I'm waiting for some of the homescreen replacements to catch up to Android 2.0, then I can be a bit more liberal with the icons and stuff.

Oh yeah, and i forgot to mention, the voice search is very good. Speak clearly and it's uncannily good at working out what you said.

I like that it *should* just get better as newer releases come out. Android 2.0 kicks 1.5/1.6's ass.

To be honest you can't really go wrong with any of the phones you mentioned.. and I'm SURE there'll be a better handset along sooner rather than later.. I figured i'd rather enjoy using the phone than wait for a better one.. such impulsiveness.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 60
Yeah, and it's running 1.6.. What?

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #21 of 60
The Sony X10 / X3 / Infinity is the same thing.. I just shudder to think of the price.. and it might be headed to AT&T, ugh.

I'm happy to pay just $40 for my unlimited data & texts and to share minutes on my family plan. on VZW

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #23 of 60
I wouldn't hold your breath on the SE being worth buying. Sony Ericsson have a way of screwing up phones, rather like Nokia.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 60
Got my droid today and I have to say its quite awesome, definitely requires more tinkering than the iphone but that lends to a lot more flexibility. The screen is great, its on a great network and all the apps I've tried launch lightning quick.

The only bad thing worth mentioning is that the included charger SUCKS, the micro usb cable is like 2' long.. what do they expect people to charge on the floor or something? Oh well, $3 later a 10 footer is on its way from monoprice.

Question for those that know android: Is there any way to have a tighter grid for icons? It seems like there is a bunch of wasted space in between.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #25 of 60
Zodduska, whats your opinion of the headphones out sound signature.. I'm a little less than impressed, Soundstage and seperation seem ok, but the top end seems a little rolled off to me.. Maybe it's just that I was used to using a little EQ on the Ipod Touch ?

As for grid spacing, yeah I'd like to know that too.. Perhaps that's a hold over from 1.6 and the dinky lil low res screens?

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #27 of 60
iPhone or Droid?

iphone_or_droid.png

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #28 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zodduska, whats your opinion of the headphones out sound signature.. I'm a little less than impressed, Soundstage and seperation seem ok, but the top end seems a little rolled off to me.. Maybe it's just that I was used to using a little EQ on the Ipod Touch ?

As for grid spacing, yeah I'd like to know that too.. Perhaps that's a hold over from 1.6 and the dinky lil low res screens?

I haven't really tested it yet, just a podcast through my tomahawk and pk1. All my tunes are in .flac so I'll have to do some converting or wait for flac support.

Quote:

Thats my guess too, I haven't found a way to change it yet but I have a feeling it will be addressed in upcoming android releases.

I did come across a pretty neat tweak for the web browser, the default zoom in was kind of annoying me because it seemed a little close so I was always zooming out a bit after double tapping to allow forums and blogs good formatting in portrait mode while still maintaining readability. Under browser settings I set default zoom to "far", now after restarting the browser double tap zoom is perfect.. text is small but readable with good eyes, the pixel density on this puppy is outrageous.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #29 of 60
looks like the droid isnt for me.. the interface/graphics are too ugly and harsh on my eyes,

at this rate the sony will be out by the time i decide on a phone, cause the n900 is on the vodafone network and i dont get good signal at work :/ but with 1.6 android thats out too

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #30 of 60
N900 isn't garnering great reviews so far from what I've seen. Shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back