New Site Platform Bug Reports and Feedback Thread
Apr 26, 2017 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,045

AxelCloris

Head-Fi TV Producer and Presenter
Administrator
Welcome to the new Head-Fi!

We've been working on the new version of the site for several months and today we're excited to be able to share it with everyone. Please click around and explore the new site to get a feel for the changes.

Now that it's here, we want to know what our members are experiencing. What do you like about the new design? What would you like to see changed? What isn't working? What functionality would you like to see added? We won't be able to incorporate every suggestion due to various reasons, but we're continuing to work on the site and improve the user experience and we'd love to get suggestions for ways to do just that.

We'll be visiting this thread frequently, so let us know what works for you and what doesn't.

Update 05/05: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/why-we-switched-forum-platforms.846861/

Update 05/08: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/a...-feedback-thread.845502/page-24#post-13478133

Update 08/29: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/apr...-feedback-thread.845502/page-36#post-13687726

Update 12/11: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...-feedback-thread.845502/page-39#post-13908371

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 1,045
Some feedback:

1. Minimum width of the site is wider than I like to keep my browser window. This means my notifications in the corner are gone.
  2. Of course, the most important notification, unread subbed threads, it missing so not a big deal. I'd like to see that readded. RESOLVED
  3. The browser tab icon is gone. I've got a generic tab icon now and I have so many tabs open that I can't tell what this tab is just by looking. RESOLVED
  4. No obvious way to edit my user details. EDIT - Someone linked it and there's a lot of useful crap in there, like the watch list. Need to make the user details page more prominent.
  5. Capitalization on my user name is gone. I'd love to get that fixed as improperly capitalized proper names is one of my grammar peeves. RESOLVED
  6. User post count and join date isn't prominently displayed anymore. I miss that.
  7. More user info is missing like Moderator/Sponsor tag (super important) and the custom titles (not super important). RESOLVED
  8. If possible, I'd like to get to the "Preview Post" function quicker.
  9. CTRL+ENTER no longer works for submitting post. :frowning2: This is an MS Office shortcut for sending emails and I do it reflexively on Head-fi because it used to work. Just realized it doesn't work anymore and added #9.
  10. My block list has disappeared. This really needs to be brought back. At least send me a PM with my old list so I can reblock all of those assholes. Thx!
  11. My reviews are... if not gone then lost. Any way to find my reviews?
  12. I'd love more email options in the Alert Settings. Currently there's not way to get an email when someone tags your name in a post, for instance.
  13. Links in posts are not highlighting in any way unless you happen to mouse over them. This should probably be changed. Can you find the link in the first sentence? RESOLVED
  14. Shouldn't have to scroll all the way to the bottom to post a new thread.
  15. Emojis seem to be previewing correctly in the editor now but they're not displaying correctly in the final post. I assume this is a work in progress and will come off the list shortly.
  16. A "Mark all as read" for forums, PM's, watched threads, etc would be a nice QoL update.
  17. Auto-saving drafts is a great feature! But we need a way to clear out those drafts if we decide we don't need them.
  18. There seems to be no option to delete PM's.
I'll update as I think of or find more items.

Overall, I've got mixed feelings on the new site. My biggest problem with it is the ads that bypass my adblocker but I can understand why you wouldn't give even a single **** about that. For me though, it makes the site feel super busy and distracting even though the actual forum layout is much cleaner. I definitely plan on giving it time; I know the new setup will allow you to do more cool stuff and that will totally be worth it.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 1,045
1. Will we need to go back and re-enter our linked videos in the threads? As someone said, the linked videos are now only pictures...

2. Also, it is not very intuitive to access the threads in which you are participating in...such as ones you are watching and have posted in...Maybe a user-guide?...

3. Log in attempts...multiple needed, and I cannot access on more than one device at a time apparently...Early impression is not good, but I will muddle through and try to find things...

Apr 26, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 1,045
Are there no longer any pictures in the For Sale Forum? Plus I can't seem to find a way to bump my posting or see how many people have viewed it. I agree with nearly every single thing that @stillhart mentions above by the way....The site, while looking more modern, is definitely much more difficult to navigate and less intuitive and informative. And this is coming from a 31 year old who considers himself rather technically competent . Hopefully this all gets worked out soon...Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 1,045
Don't want to double post, but there are already a couple of pages of comments here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/new-head-fi-update.845500/page-2

Good luck! I don't envy the work required on an overhaul of this magnitude even once it has gone live.

Thanks for the link Roscoe. We're following that thread as well.

Some feedback:

1. Minimum width of the site is wider than I like to keep my browser window. This means my notifications in the corner are gone.
  2. Of course, the most important notification, unread subbed threads, it missing so not a big deal. I'd like to see that readded.
  3. The browser tab icon is gone. I've got a generic tab icon now and I have so many tabs open that I can't tell what this tab is just by looking.
  4. No obvious way to edit my user details. EDIT - Someone linked it and there's a lot of useful **** in there, like the watch list. Need to make the user details page more prominent.
  5. Capitalization on my user name is gone. I'd love to get that fixed as improperly capitalized proper names is one of my grammar peeves.
  6. User post count and join date isn't prominently displayed anymore. I miss that.
  7. More user info is missing like Moderator/Sponsor tag (super important) and the custom titles (not super important).
  8. If possible, I'd like to get to the "Preview Post" function quicker.
  9. CTRL+ENTER no longer works for submitting post. This is an MS Office shortcut for sending emails and I do it reflexively on Head-fi because it used to work. Just realized it doesn't work anymore and added #9.
  10. My block list has disappeared. This really needs to be brought back. At least send me a PM with my old list so I can reblock all of those assholes. Thx!
  11. My reviews are... if not gone then lost. Any way to find my reviews?
I'll update as I think of or find more items.

Overall, I've got mixed feelings on the new site. My biggest problem with it is the ads that bypass my adblocker but I can understand why you wouldn't give even a single **** about that. For me though, it makes the site feel super busy and distracting even though the actual forum layout is much cleaner. I definitely plan on giving it time; I know the new setup will allow you to do more cool stuff and that will totally be worth it.

Thanks for the feedback. I've added these to our list.

1. Will we need to go back and re-enter our linked videos in the threads? As someone said, the linked videos are now only pictures...

2. Also, it is not very intuitive to access the threads in which you are participating in...such as ones you are watching and have posted in...Maybe a user-guide?...

3. Log in attempts...multiple needed, and I cannot access on more than one device at a time apparently...Early impression is not good, but I will muddle through and try to find things...

I don't have an answer for the linked videos just yet, but I'll look into it for you. We are working on user guides for the site and we're currently trying to squash the login timeouts and errors. Appreciate the feedback.

Are there no longer any pictures in the For Sale Forum? Plus I can't seem to find a way to bump my posting or see how many people have viewed it. I agree with nearly every single thing that @stillhart mentions above by the way....The site, while looking more modern, is definitely much more difficult to navigate and less intuitive and informative. And this is coming from a 31 year old who considers himself rather technically competent . Hopefully this all gets worked out soon...Thanks

The classifieds are a work in progress. Right now they're more like a normal thread than they were on the old platform just so everyone has the ability to buy and sell gear. As we move forward we'll be looking into making it a more robust system, similar in feel to what we had before but easier to use for everyone. There's definitely going to be an adjustment period while everyone gets used to the new navigation.

Apr 26, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 1,045
Thanks for the link Roscoe. We're following that thread as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I've added these to our list.

I don't have an answer for the linked videos just yet, but I'll look into it for you. We are working on user guides for the site and we're currently trying to squash the login timeouts and errors. Appreciate the feedback.

The classifieds are a work in progress. Right now they're more like a normal thread than they were on the old platform just so everyone has the ability to buy and sell gear. As we move forward we'll be looking into making it a more robust system, similar in feel to what we had before but easier to use for everyone. There's definitely going to be an adjustment period while everyone gets used to the new navigation.

Thanks for the quick replies...Also, I have noticed that any new thread in which I post new, such as the Cayin N3 review tour, does not show up in my "threads watched" sub menu. I'm not sure if I needed to refresh, toggle something or what. So I thought I would mention it.

keep up the great work, this is an extremely large task! And I am guilty of complaining, too...:triportsad:

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 1,045
One feature I miss is 'search this thread' which was really invaluable when looking for something specific in large threads, right now it can only search for keywords in sub-forums.

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 1,045
One feature I miss is 'search this thread' which was really invaluable when looking for something specific in large threads, right now it can only search for keywords in sub-forums.

Was just going to share the same sentiment. I assume 'search this thread' will be added soon as it's an essential tool, but worth bringing to their attention.

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 1,045
Thanks for the quick replies...Also, I have noticed that any new thread in which I post new, such as the Cayin N3 review tour, does not show up in my "threads watched" sub menu. I'm not sure if I needed to refresh, toggle something or what. So I thought I would mention it.

keep up the great work, this is an extremely large task! And I am guilty of complaining, too...:triportsad:

The new system doesn't automatically follow a thread like the old one did, so I've taken to making sure I check the box that says "watch this thread" when replying to a new one.

I miss that feature too and it's one that's on our list of planned changes, but at the moment we're working through a few other things before we can shift gears and start adding more functionality to the new forums. We want to make sure everything that we currently have is working before adding potential complications. It's definitely something we're planning, but not immediately.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 1,045
What was the motivation for changing from the previous format? Thanks.

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 1,045
The new system doesn't automatically follow a thread like the old one did, so I've taken to making sure I check the box that says "watch this thread" when replying to a new one.

Actually, I found a setting for this somewhere...

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 1,045
There don't seem to be any way to get to last read post when you enter a thread, you have to find that manually by going through the thread

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 1,045
There don't seem to be any way to get to last read post when you enter a thread, you have to find that manually by going through the thread

If you enter a specific thread from the main thread page you can click "Go to first unread" near the top next to the page numbers. If you visit the thread via your account alerts page (https://www.head-fi.org/f/account/alerts) it should take you to the first unread post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back