New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Feb 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,937

Flavio T

Member of the Trade: EarphoneSolutions.com
I thought of sharing this one since it got me smiling and wondering...

Under $100, the new SE215 with dynamic drivers is delivering a ton of bass and carries the same design as Shure's flagship SE535 and it has the same great replaceable cables:

Shure SE215 Review

I thought they were pretty awesome in this price range and it will certainly cause a lot of disruption in the $70-$150 price range.

They are launching tomorrow btw.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 1,937
Great news on this new dynamic earphone from shure, wonder how does it compete in the higher end dynamic driver iems... Definitely looking forward to more impressions in the future!

Either way aren't head-fi MOT not allowed to post reviews or such on products they sell in general discussion forum? I thought their posts are restricted to their own respective sub forum. No matter how good this earphone is, I still find that you are trying to promote and advertise the products you are selling.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 1,937
I thought the Super.fi 3 and it's re-brands were the first under $100 to have replaceable cables?

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 1,937
Just ordered a pair.  Glad they were released this soon (I was thinking late March at first).  Can't wait to get them.  I was thinking of getting the 315s or 415s (I have the Westone 2s and love them), because of the removable cable, so when I saw these I fell in love with the concept of removable cables for an iem this cheap. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 1,937

Quote:
I thought of sharing this one since it got me smiling and wondering...

Under $100, the new SE215 with dynamic drivers is delivering a ton of bass and carries the same design as Shure's flagship SE535 and it has the same great replaceable cables:

Shure SE215 Review

I thought they were pretty awesome in this price range and it will certainly cause a lot of disruption in the $70-$150 price range.

They are launching tomorrow btw.

Perhaps people considering getting this new product should be aware of the following comments written nearly 2 months ago and posted in the Westone 4 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4-appreciation-thread-and-reviews-a-k-a-westone-4/240#post_7177145 -- note that the $450 Westone 4 does NOT come with replaceable cables.

Quote:
REF: the whole fixed cable vs. replaceable cable issue.

What if I tell you all that Earphone Solutions has hard data collected since the first replaceable cable universal earphones were launched that supports, without a doubt, and by a huge margin, that earphones with replaceable cables fail much more often and at a much higher rate than earphones with fixed cables?

I completely understand the perception that with removable cables, one may feel "safer". The only products we don't have enough data yet because they are relatively too new, are the SE535, SE425, SE315, UM2-RC & UM3X-RC.

I have a set of UM2s that are completing 5 years now.

Another aspect to consider. When the cable fails on an earphone with fixed cables, they get replaced or repaired at no charge for the first 2 years (after submitting registration, etc.) under the manufacturers' warranty.

When the cable fails on an earphone with replaceable cables, the first and most common action is to buy a new set of cables.

This could be big business. We sold many thousands of cables back in the day. Customers wouldn't think twice between trying to enter a warranty claim with the manufacturer or simply buy new cables.

So my question is: is that BETTER for the consumer? I don't think so. My everyday set is a fixed cable UM3X. I also love my SE535 but the way Shure built these cables it seems these would never fail hence never replaced.

I think in Shure's and Westone's case it's the manufacturer responding to demand and desire. It's the perception of the end user that replaceable cables are better, which honestly, I don't share that view. Because I know the return rate and the sales of replaceable cables, and the calls and feedbacks we receive from our customers. Hard data collected for several years.

The problem, I think, is because once you have a replaceable cable, you have just created a "weak link": the connection.

One needs to re-think the "freedom" of being able to replace ( = buy) cables every so many months (sometimes weeks).

I have had this conversation with numerous customers and manufacturers. It's difficult not to offer replaceable cables given the perception and desire for them. I will stick with my fixed cable set. Less moving parts, less connections, to me, equals simpler, more reliable and ultimately better.

Just my 2 cents.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 1,937
I'm with this guy ^^^^, the less moving parts the better.  Give me some good cable strain relief and I'm cool.  Tho, I do kind of like the idea of using the regular Shure cables most of the time and switching to some cable with an inline mic for Xbox Live or talkin' on the phone.  So there is THAT appeal.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 1,937
Quote:

Perhaps people considering getting this new product should be aware of the following comments written nearly 2 months ago and posted in the Westone 4 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4-appreciation-thread-and-reviews-a-k-a-westone-4/240#post_7177145 -- note that the $450 Westone 4 does NOT come with replaceable cables.

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Flavio T 
REF: the whole fixed cable vs. replaceable cable issue.

What if I tell you all that Earphone Solutions has hard data collected since the first replaceable cable universal earphones were launched that supports, without a doubt, and by a huge margin, that earphones with replaceable cables fail much more often and at a much higher rate than earphones with fixed cables?

I can see the merits and validity of both sides.  But yeah---  "ZING!!!" 
blink.gif
  Good memory, music_4321.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 1,937
Very interesting, thanks for the news! I only wish the SE425s and 535s were offered in the black housing.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 1,937
im eagerly awaiting more reviews on this, as the ergonomics really interest me a great deal, fit and ergonomics of a BA but dynamic fun in sound ? reasonable price too
I have kept my eyes on sunrise xcape, fischer audio eterna, monster turbine, etc. but it appears the design of the shure 215 will be the most comfortable and isolating, fingers crossed

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 1,937

Quote:
Any comparisons with the Westone 1?

Yes. We finished that up. For bass the SE215 is an improvement over the W1. If you like the replaceable cables, the SE215 is a great product at a great price. If you like fixed cables the W1 is also a great product. But if you like thumping lows, the SE215 has the edge over the W1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back