New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #166 of 1,937

loopfreak

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Posts
1,005
Likes
104
Since they practically vanished from your memory except that they are more balanced than IE8 speaks for itself.
 
I'm not seeking for perfect IEM since I'm more into full size but need something for work environment and those shure fit into my requirements perfectly.
They are still not available in my country but it seams that they are worth the wait.
 
Thanks for the impressions
 
Mar 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #167 of 1,937

Raguvian

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Posts
1,302
Likes
37
Got my SE215's today! I decided to get the clear ones, since I was wishing I had gotten the clear version of the M6. First thought as I pulled them out of package was wow, the cable is so beefy! Compared to the Meelec stuff I've been using, the Shure cable is amazing. My only qualm with it is it's too long.
 
I just started listening to them, but they are definitely very fun! They don't have very much bass, but I am used to the M31's ridiculous amount of bass. They aren't lacking for sure, it's just my viewpoint has been skewed.
biggrin.gif

 
Still, they are pretty punchy and very fun. Definitely not an analytical phone. Also, they are very, very comfortable. I can't even tell they are there and they also isolate much better than the M6, which is at least a similar style headphone. I think it's because the SE215 has a larger body to fill your ear out more. And the first thing I did, before even playing music, was to go lie down in bed to see if they are actually good for sleeping.
 
Can't even tell they are there... :)
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #168 of 1,937

drizzt

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Posts
81
Likes
10
I am really considering getting my gf these so she leaves my UM1s alone and i was wondering has anyone gone running with them? They seem to fit everything else she likes in IEMs with the punchy bass and non fatiguing  highs but she does want to be able to work out and run with them. Thanks for the help
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #169 of 1,937

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
Joined
Jun 23, 2001
Posts
7,700
Likes
2,189


Quote:
I am really considering getting my gf these so she leaves my UM1s alone and i was wondering has anyone gone running with them? They seem to fit everything else she likes in IEMs with the punchy bass and non fatiguing  highs but she does want to be able to work out and run with them. Thanks for the help



Only thing I'd be worried about with the shures are the cables.  Don't know if they are more microphonic than the westone type.
 
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #170 of 1,937

JoeyRusso

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2010
Posts
786
Likes
22


Quote:
I am really considering getting my gf these so she leaves my UM1s alone and i was wondering has anyone gone running with them? They seem to fit everything else she likes in IEMs with the punchy bass and non fatiguing  highs but she does want to be able to work out and run with them. Thanks for the help



 


Quote:
Only thing I'd be worried about with the shures are the cables.  Don't know if they are more microphonic than the westone type.
 



The 215's cable is covered with the a different material than the 535's.  They are more rubberized and they don't suffer from any more microphonics than my Westone 4's.  I can whack the cable against my desk and not hear a thing.  When running or walking bone conduction will be more present than microphonics with either cable.  Hope that helps.
 
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #171 of 1,937

EraserXIV

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Posts
1,654
Likes
82
Just got these yesterday, satisfied with the sound. Joey pretty much nailed it so there really isn't much else to say. Only thing is I think that the treble may not be as recessed as the previous numerical ratings may have made it seem. It's pretty balanced overall with a very fun sound (but the bass definitely is slightly more prominent than the others).
 
Also, I wear glasses and the memory wire is absolutely no problem for me and they're very comfortable, I barely notice that they're in, but YMMV...
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #172 of 1,937

JoeyRusso

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2010
Posts
786
Likes
22


Quote:
Just got these yesterday, very satisfied with the sound. Joey pretty much nailed it so there really isn't much else to say. Only thing is I think that the treble may not be as recessed as the previous numerical ratings may have made it seem. It's pretty balanced overall with a very fun sound (but the bass definitely is slightly more prominent than the others).
 
Also, I wear glasses and the memory wire is absolutely no problem for me and they're very comfortable, I barely notice that they're in, but YMMV...



Thanks EraserXIV..  I may have been a little aggressive with my ratings, but I just wanted to be clear that these were not V shaped.  I'd say you're right on with your description and I'd rate them as: bass 6 - 5.5 (dependening on song/genre), mids 5, highs 5 after many hours of listening.  (again: for level prominence, not actual sound rating)  
 
The 215's have me completely reevaluating what's important to me when it comes to listening to music...  Not because they're earth shattering or the best ever..  It's just that I think my priorities have changed.. I won't discuss it here.. but stay tuned.. :)
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #173 of 1,937

nadsta

Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Posts
50
Likes
12
215's-Early thoughts-
 
Received mine yesterday from www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk, within 18 hours of placing the order.
 
As the previous post says, Joey has these nailed.
 
FYI my sound sig-so far I have been happiest with Pana HJE900, although their mids were a little recessed.  W2's were just too safe and boring, almost veiled for me at the top end and Ety HF2's enjoyable airy but ultimately too clinical.
 
I'm using grey tri flanges that probably came with my Ety HF2's-these afforded amazing isolation accompanied by unbearable levels of pain with the Ety's but with the Shure's there's nearly the same iso but NO PAIN AT ALL. I could never get comfortable with the Ety fit (or sound).  By way of reference Westone 2's and Panasonic HJE900s didn't fit me that well either, the Pana's just too painful over time even with small olives and not isolating quite as well as I'd hoped and the W2's barely isolating at all.
 
I bought the Shure's as fun IEMs for gym/everyday use and was also just about to order some 3 way customs from a UK company to overcome my previous fitting and isolation issues.  I'm now reconsidering buying the customs as I'm so happy with these, for me its unusual that a product exceeds expectation but so far these have.
 
So far I've tried electronic music and OSTs (Bourne/Dark Knight/Donnie Darko)- all reproduced positively.
 
In my short time with them, let's say after about 18 hours of play/burn in, they compare favourably with Pana HJE900s in the sound dept but are somewhat smoother, without giving up too high-end energy (def no sibilance issues).  They haven't opened up yet as much as the Pana's did after burn in and I'm adding a slope of a few db of eq above 4k but I'm hoping that may become less necessary as they burn in. They don't compete with the airy high end of the Etys but I didn't expect them too.  They seem sensitive, but with a little less hiss than I'd expect. Volume level is good and linear, low level listening is still rewarding and revealing.
 
Perhaps the bass is a little less punchy/textured than the Panas. Not massive amounts of sub bass and not as fast & articulate a low end as the W2's or HF2's I've owned, but with more impact/slam. The HF2's and to some extent Westones' just felt that they were missing an octave at the low end. Shure's seem happy with low or hi bit rate recordings. A warmish sig, slightly warmer than the Panas but not at all gooey.  BTW I never found the Panas that warm but I know most around here do due to the mild bass hump. The mids on these are more prominent than the Panas.
 
Zero microphonics, good quality if slightly long cable, good snap connectors. 
 
I planned to do a 60 minute run with mine tonight but other commitments got in the way, I'll post running impressions another time but I can't see any problems.
 
So to sum up after less than 20 hours-great value do it all IEM.  If they open up some more I'll be more than happy if they're my only IEM, if not then they'll be a stellar back up.
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #174 of 1,937

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
Joined
Jun 23, 2001
Posts
7,700
Likes
2,189


Quote:
215's-Early thoughts-
 
Received mine yesterday from www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk, within 18 hours of placing the order.
 
As the previous post says, Joey has these nailed.
 
FYI my sound sig-so far I have been happiest with Pana HJE900, although their mids were a little recessed.  W2's were just too safe and boring, almost veiled for me at the top end and Ety HF2's enjoyable airy but ultimately too clinical.
 
I'm using grey tri flanges that probably came with my Ety HF2's-these afforded amazing isolation accompanied by unbearable levels of pain with the Ety's but with the Shure's there's nearly the same iso but NO PAIN AT ALL. I could never get comfortable with the Ety fit (or sound).  By way of reference Westone 2's and Panasonic HJE900s didn't fit me that well either, the Pana's just too painful over time even with small olives and not isolating quite as well as I'd hoped and the W2's barely isolating at all.
 
I bought the Shure's as fun IEMs for gym/everyday use and was also just about to order some 3 way customs from a UK company to overcome my previous fitting and isolation issues.  I'm now reconsidering buying the customs as I'm so happy with these, for me its unusual that a product exceeds expectation but so far these have.
 
So far I've tried electronic music and OSTs (Bourne/Dark Knight/Donnie Darko)- all reproduced positively.
 
In my short time with them, let's say after about 18 hours of play/burn in, they compare favourably with Pana HJE900s in the sound dept but are somewhat smoother, without giving up too high-end energy (def no sibilance issues).  They haven't opened up yet as much as the Pana's did after burn in and I'm adding a slope of a few db of eq above 4k but I'm hoping that may become less necessary as they burn in. They don't compete with the airy high end of the Etys but I didn't expect them too.  They seem sensitive, but with a little less hiss than I'd expect. Volume level is good and linear, low level listening is still rewarding and revealing.
 
Perhaps the bass is a little less punchy/textured than the Panas. Not massive amounts of sub bass and not as fast & articulate a low end as the W2's or HF2's I've owned, but with more impact/slam. The HF2's and to some extent Westones' just felt that they were missing an octave at the low end. Shure's seem happy with low or hi bit rate recordings. A warmish sig, slightly warmer than the Panas but not at all gooey.  BTW I never found the Panas that warm but I know most around here do due to the mild bass hump. The mids on these are more prominent than the Panas.
 
Zero microphonics, good quality if slightly long cable, good snap connectors. 
 
I planned to do a 60 minute run with mine tonight but other commitments got in the way, I'll post running impressions another time but I can't see any problems.
 
So to sum up after less than 20 hours-great value do it all IEM.  If they open up some more I'll be more than happy if they're my only IEM, if not then they'll be a stellar back up.

Nice impressions.  Felt the same way about the westones both with bass and isolation (which is important for me). Isolations on the westones ok for me when music playing but no isolation when not (though to be fair I rarely have to have the volume higher than the "rewind" toggle on the touch, it's just with progressive rock theres a load of quieter moments where background noise becomes more obvious).  I also had been toying with either getting customs or a reshell done but looks like I'll try these out first.  Oh and looks like I'll be placing the order with theheadphonecompany after your experience.  Just hope they deliver to work addresses :)
 
Cheers.
 
 
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #175 of 1,937

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Posts
8,448
Likes
2,169
All these comments are driving me crazy! I sure hope I get home to a nice surprise. Have a head-fi meet this weekend and was hoping I could take them so the other 10 people coils have a listen.
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #176 of 1,937

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
10,566
Likes
206


Quote:
All these comments are driving me crazy! I sure hope I get home to a nice surprise. Have a head-fi meet this weekend and was hoping I could take them so the other 10 people coils have a listen.

 
That'll teach you to cheap out on the shipping :p At least you can make the meet. There's a NYC meeting around 15-20 minutes away from where I'll be working at tomorrow that I was looking forward to making :p
 
 
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #177 of 1,937

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Posts
8,448
Likes
2,169
Groan, no love for me when I got home :frowning2:. Well on the positive side I get to hear about 25 top of the line headphones this weekend which will be much funner than working
gs1000.gif
. hehehe As for cheaping out on shipping, I would have had to to pay just about 40% of the cost of the SE215 to have had them in my hands quickly due to stupid costs in Canada so ya I cheaped out
frown.gif
.
 
Mar 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #178 of 1,937

nadsta

Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Posts
50
Likes
12


Quote:
it's just with progressive rock theres a load of quieter moments where background noise becomes more obvious).  
 


serves you right for listening to progressive rock ha ha
 
paul at the headphone company was great and also had no questions regarding return of previous faulty iems for refund.
 
 
 
 
Mar 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #179 of 1,937

music_4321

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Posts
5,120
Likes
339


Quote:
serves you right for listening to progressive rock ha ha
 


If it's Yes or ELP, I'll have to agree with you there. If it's KC or VdGG, not quite.  :)
 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top