New Sheryl Crow CD
Apr 19, 2002 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
I am slightly dissappointed in new CD "c'mon c'mon" and actually
sold it next day at half.com (for $1 less than I paid new). Most people have heard the catchy pop tune "soaking up the sun" recently but there are really no other similar songs on CD, to me rest of CD sounded mediocre and uninspired although critics love this CD hailing it as her best yet.

I much prefer the darker more inspired CDs like 2nd release "sheryl crow" or 3rd release "globe sessions" Sheryl Crow's music is a hybrid of rock, country, blues reminds me sometimes of Lucinda Williams earlier work.

Anyone else get this yet, how do you like it?

Apr 19, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm a big Sheryl Crow fan. I think I like "The Globe Sessions" best, though her second album is also very good. First album was not bad, but not as good as the others, IMO. Haven't heard the latest album yet, I'll fix that soon enough.

Apr 22, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 9
Sheryl Crow sucks, or at least her output has sucked since "Tuesday Night Music Club". Of course, she had other people perform and write the tunes on that one. Ego can only take you so far.

Apr 22, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 9
This is Sheryl's "guest star" album, which artists do when they are artistically or financially bankrupt, or their label forces them to try to broaden commercial appeal by adding "cool guest stars". These albums usually suck. Soak up the Sun was written with Liz Phair, and I do like the song. But (ugh, why?) Lenny Kravitz and Don henley help her out too.

If you don't like her original compositions, Beagle, maybe you'd like the new one. Me, I'm not that interested in her anymore. I liked albums two and three, but you cannot recover from collaborating with Lenny Kravitz. In fact, collaborating with Lenny Kravitz casts a huge shadow on the rest of your catalog and obliterates any credibility you may have built up.

Bye Sheryl, it was fun for a while.

markl

Apr 22, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Let's say Lenny got into an accident and not even plastic surgery could fix it. Does he still have a fan base? No. Do people still want to listen to his music? No.

markl

Apr 22, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 9
In fact, I would go so far as to say that not only does working with Lenny Kravitz shatter her credibility, it infects the credibility of anyone who ever worked with Sheryl Crow. Let's see, she worked with Clapton, who worked with BB King who worked with Bono, who worked with.... It's tragic.

Suffice to say, you need at least six degrees of separation from Lenny Kravitz to avoid his taint. He's like a musical plague.

markl

Apr 22, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 9
(shrugs)

What's wrong with Lenny exactly? I didn't care much for his new cd, but his last effort '5' was excellent, IMO of course.

As for Sheryl Crow, i thought her 2nd cd was excellent as well, but i was turned off by Globe sessions, maybe i should give it another spin.

Apr 22, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Sorry DarkAngel, we now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back