Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 20, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #2,057 of 6,413
Don't hesitate to listen to the different digital filters. Some, like the brickwall have a harder highend that can sound brighter. I am using the appodizing filter at the moment and find it more relaxed sounding.

I am new to the digital filters as my A17 does not have any so I will be doing some research into it.

After a solid 8 hours of use I can say the initial brightness in the sound has calmed some using the default filter setting. So no major issues so far, the screen is perfect no under screen smudge. It came with firmware 2.0 so no need to reformat my microsd card and updated to 2.1 without a hitch. I did find a few times that the screen would be a little unresponsive to swipes. It took some trial and error but I did get the bluetooth to pair with my favorite Sony LDAC speaker. I am working alot so I haven't had time to try it with my Sony LDAC receiver. Using LDAC standard setting it sounds great and no dropouts.

I am happy to report that all of my embedded album art is showing up without issue. All of my album art is standard jpg format at 400 x 400, 450 x 450 or 500 x 500 resolution and 72 dpi. If you are having issues make sure to save album art as standard and not progressive jpg and if you stick to 72 dpi you should have no issues with most DAP's displaying artwork. On a 240 x 240 screen like the M0 going with higher resolutions is pointless as the screen is to low res to benefit and you waste storage space and risk artwork not being displayed.

As for the clip case not super impressed but it should do the trick. To help with the grip I stuck a thin strip of adhesive rubber to the inside of the clip. I find the clip doesn't slide around now and is much less likely to slide off whatever it is clipped to. To make it easier to hold in my hand and keep from dropping the M0 I cut a small velcro strap and put it around my 3rd and 4th fingers. Now I can slip the clip through the strap and I never have to worry about dropping it. I have also used the strap to attach the M0 to the extender on my headphones so when I am moving around the cable doesn't get in the way, it looks a little weird but hey whatever works! So with a little bit of modding the clip case can be improved

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #2,058 of 6,413
I have had my M0 for a while now and I keep stretching it with higher res files. So far, it just keeps impressing; there are a few file types it doesn’t want to work with, but not many!

High res files via Chord Hugo through HE560’s sound fantastic!

Way to go Shanling!

So when you use your M0 with the hugo are you bypassing the M0 amp and DAC? If you are then the M0 is just a transport device and the hugo is producing all the sound correct?

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #2,059 of 6,413
So I spent time looking into the filter options for the M0 and all it did was give me major tech speak overload. For those who are familiar with the filters and their benefits I would love some suggestions. Or I could just stick with the default setting from Shanling and call it a day. I can't see how most people buying a $100.00 DAP will want to spend time figuring out filters so is it overkill in a DAP like the M0?

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #2,060 of 6,413
So I spent time looking into the filter options for the M0 and all it did was give me major tech speak overload. For those who are familiar with the filters and their benefits I would love some suggestions. Or I could just stick with the default setting from Shanling and call it a day. I can't see how most people buying a $100.00 DAP will want to spend time figuring out filters so is it overkill in a DAP like the M0?
I don't know much, but this may help:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...amp5-fw-2-8-198.791531/page-888#post-14221804
"The short version on filters is how they reproduce the musical note edges, textures.
If you want spikier textures with more emphasis on how textured something it, use shorter and brick wall, if you want smoother textures, use slow roll-off filters"

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #2,061 of 6,413
I don't know much, but this may help:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...amp5-fw-2-8-198.791531/page-888#post-14221804
"The short version on filters is how they reproduce the musical note edges, textures.
If you want spikier textures with more emphasis on how textured something it, use shorter and brick wall, if you want smoother textures, use slow roll-off filters"

And to answer the question on wether it’s overkill on a 100 dollar dap like M0? Absolutely not, they are included hardware features of the ESS DAC/AMP so they are specifically there to subtly tweak the sound as Mike-Wi pointed out.

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,062 of 6,413
And to answer the question on wether it’s overkill on a 100 dollar dap like M0? Absolutely not, they are included hardware features of the ESS DAC/AMP so they are specifically there to subtly tweak the sound as Mike-Wi pointed out.

I am thinking of people outside this thread who see the M0 as cute a little DAP that sounds good. I know several people who would love this little DAP who would have no idea what the filters are and would never mess with them. We forum dwellers sometimes over estimate interest in technical stuff outside of this forum. I think back to my sales days and if I tried to explain audio filters to most customers their eyes would glaze over and you would lose them in a matter of seconds. From what I have read most people feel that it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between these filter settings as most affect frequencies at the edges or above or below audible frequencies.

Thanks for the link though and I will check it out for sure

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #2,063 of 6,413
I am thinking of people outside this thread who see the M0 as cute a little DAP that sounds good. I know several people who would love this little DAP who would have no idea what the filters are and would never mess with them. We forum dwellers sometimes over estimate interest in technical stuff outside of this forum. I think back to my sales days and if I tried to explain audio filters to most customers their eyes would glaze over and you would lose them in a matter of seconds. From what I have read most people feel that it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between these filter settings as most affect frequencies at the edges or above or below audible frequencies.

Thanks for the link though and I will check it out for sure

Probably quite a few of the people who’ve purchased this dap know about the filters since lots of dac makers have them even if it’s just sharp and slow- even Sony nw35 had a sharp and slow filter. The difference is very subtle but if you have resolving iems and good hearing there is a slight difference, especially on high pitched percussion stuff like cymbals.

Yes lots of people could care less or wouldn’t mess with them, but as I said they are built in and well no harm no foul if you don’t want to mess with them.

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,064 of 6,413

So I just switched to the Brickwall filter based on the post above. Not sure if I am hearing a difference from the default or is the placebo affect. Someone tells you this is what you will hear and you think you hear it. I will stick with brickwall for awhile and see if I hear a difference

Jul 20, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #2,065 of 6,413
Interested if anyone else finds the vocals sounding far away/quiet with the M0 compared to other sources. Fairly new to the audio game and cannot really tell an improvement in quality per se, using Flac files. Previous sources were ipod classic and laptop. I use mee M6 pro and samson sr850.

Thanks again for the forum advice that led me to buy this!

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,066 of 6,413
Interested if anyone else finds the vocals sounding far away/quiet with the M0 compared to other sources. Fairly new to the audio game and cannot really tell an improvement in quality per se, using Flac files. Previous sources were ipod classic and laptop. I use mee M6 pro and samson sr850.

Not my experience at all based on listening to it so far and the vocals are not anymore recessed than any other DAP's I have tried.

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #2,067 of 6,413

Nope the stage is just right to me, vocals are right there. Ipod classic has a smaller more intimate stage. Maybe that’s what you’re hearing. I can notice a ton more detail than my iPod Nano though, besides the smaller flatter stage. The stage of M0 has more depth also, could also be what you’re hearing.

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2,068 of 6,413
I listened to the Shanling M0 for a couple of hours. Using an Astell & Kern Ak70MKII as my daily driver it took me some time to get used to a fluid operation without dedicated hardware buttons for the main controls. But for this small device the touchscreen control is very well implemented. Soundwise its awesome. Its hard not to mention what you get for the little price it costs. It plays loud enough and can drive a wide range of "not-too-hard-driven" headphones. Great sounding petite dap. All frequencies are presented well and detailed. Of course you always need a good headphone to get the magic done.

Plus you always got a great caring customer support.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #2,069 of 6,413
Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll have to find someone with an ipod classic to hear difference.

Since there are a few replies regarding the touch screen: I found everything simple intuitive and flawless from my first swipe (v2. 1).

Regarding sd cards: update.bin in my exfat samsung evo 128gb was recognized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back