New set of cans < $60?
May 15, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #16 of 26
Amps don't start being worth it until you hit at least $60 for like a CMoy or Fiio E11. The E5 is cheap ((less than $20), but I only find it useful for it's bass boost if you're into that sort of thing.

peskypesky, I can almost guarantee that you will love them. If you have issues with the clip ons, give them some time. I didn't like the feeling of clip ons at first, then after a few days, the KSC75 disappeared off my head. They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, in that they just feel like nothing's there. I could do backflips and the KSC75 would stay happily in place.

May 15, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
Size doesn't matter - do you have a pair/know how they rank up against the ones I listed?

No I haven't heard the headphone you listed but I preferred the JVC RX700 to the Denon D2000 which is quite popular and expensive in comparison; the sound was not as boomy while sounding similar in the mids, it is a fairly warm, lush sound. I use them occasionally when watching a movie and don't want to bring an amp out into the living room. Great soundstage and detail without the need for an amp, you can't go wrong!

May 15, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #19 of 26
Whoa, looks like you can get a CMoy on eBay for like, $35 - I'll get one of those, too. Thanks for all of your help! :)

Quote:
Amps don't start being worth it until you hit at least $60 for like a CMoy or Fiio E11. The E5 is cheap ((less than $20), but I only find it useful for it's bass boost if you're into that sort of thing.

peskypesky, I can almost guarantee that you will love them. If you have issues with the clip ons, give them some time. I didn't like the feeling of clip ons at first, then after a few days, the KSC75 disappeared off my head. They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, in that they just feel like nothing's there. I could do backflips and the KSC75 would stay happily in place.

May 16, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #20 of 26
I think I'll get them from this guy since he does them the cheapest/most professional; what chip should I get with it? :)

Quote:

May 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 26
I never heard the CMoy, so YMMV. I know if I was i the market for a portable amp, I'd hold off for the Fiio E11.

Just don't be silly and amp your headphones through whatever player's headphone out. Get an LOD.

May 16, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #23 of 26
What do you plan on using your headphones, amp with? Ipod? You buy a Connection with a cable that goes from an Ipod to the Amp's line in. If you're thinking of hooking up your amp to a headphone jack, you REALLY need to read up on how to use amps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FiiO-L3-LOD-Line-Out-Dock-Cable-iPod-and-iPhone-NEW-/110552929924?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item19bd77d684

Stuff like that. It bypasses the Ipod's internal amp, that way you're just getting the signal, and the amp is....amping it.

If you plan on listening on a computer, a DAC is more important than an amp. Something like the Fiio E7 or UDAC2 would be what you want in that case, as they're both amp/dacvs all in one. DACs ONLY function on computers.

May 16, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #24 of 26
Nah - I was planning on playing straight from the computer. Would I still need an LOD?

Quote:
What do you plan on using your headphones, amp with? Ipod? You buy a Connection with a cable that goes from an Ipod to the Amp's line in. If you're thinking of hooking up your amp to a headphone jack, you REALLY need to read up on how to use amps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FiiO-L3-LOD-Line-Out-Dock-Cable-iPod-and-iPhone-NEW-/110552929924?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item19bd77d684

Stuff like that. It bypasses the Ipod's internal amp, that way you're just getting the signal, and the amp is....amping it.

If you plan on listening on a computer, a DAC is more important than an amp. Something like the Fiio E7 or UDAC2 would be what you want in that case, as they're both amp/dacvs all in one. DACs ONLY function on computers.

May 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #25 of 26
Unless your computer has a dedicated line out, you're doing more harm than good by attaching an amp through a headphone jack. What you need instead of an amp is something like the E7 or UDAC2 like I mentioned before. That Cmoy is best for portable use...

You should have read up on these things before buying...

May 16, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
After some research the HD668b's look amazing - definitely grabbing those. Thanks man!

yep. there are several models of Superlux cans, and they almost all get rave reviews. many say they are the equal of headphones in the $150 price range. i am definitely going to order a pair at some point in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back