NEW! SENDY AUDIO AIVA Impressions?
Apr 1, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #136 of 709

I got an Aiva in for review from Musictek. I wanted to get impressions out a couple days after getting it but it’s such a unique sound I wanted to take more time to understand it more. I’ve been hearing interesting things about this headphone, but I’ve had relatively low hopes because their driver looks similar to one driver I’ve seen from the manufacturer of a few Monoprice planar magnetic drivers, and those are, uh, horrifically bad. But I didn’t see a headphone from them that uses this driver so I went in with an open mind.

Honestly, I don’t hate it. The treble is elevated but not harsh and is surprisingly airy, which is something I rarely hear from planar magnetic headphones. The bass is kind of stuffy yet overdamped which is disappointing. There isn’t a bass hump from what I can hear but it sounds slightly congested compared to the Sundara or a good LCD-2.

Their biggest issue, however, is their midrange. I measured some ringing at 2kHz, but it’s oddly not as prominent as any of the Monoprice headphones, especially the M1060C, which has ringing in a similar area. I can’t really explain why it’s so audible in one headphone but not the other, but vocals definitely sound less hashy than in the M1060C. Overall, the upper midrange is dipped a few dB which probably makes the ringing less obvious, and this is a big part of what I think makes this headphone so interesting.

This isn’t really a headphone for a lot of vocal-heavy or string-heavy music because the timbre really isn’t good for that but this interesting combination of strangely good, yet boosted treble and dipped midrange and stuffy bass give them a kind of ethereal, dreamy sound in a way that isn’t as offensive or artificial as Stax or as veiled as Audeze. I think these are awesome for post rock or shoegaze where I don’t focus so much on technicalities, but $600 is a pretty big ask for something that I think is quite genre-limited, but it’s an interesting option for those who are looking for a more distant sound but don’t want an Audeze. I do think that they make more sense at $499 because to me there’s some sort of mental block that hits me when something costs more than $500, but it does fill some sort of niche that I didn’t realize isn’t really filled in this bracket.

Measurements:

I don't have FR because my EARS is acting up but I'll have 4128C measurements in my full review.
This post made me regret. I sold my lcd2c to purchase it yesterday after i read and watched some reviews. Now im thinking to refuse delivery on Wednesday lolz.

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #137 of 709
This post made me regret. I sold my lcd2c to purchase it yesterday after i read and watched some reviews. Now im thinking to refuse delivery on Wednesday lolz.
Brother you put too much stock in the words of strangers. At least wait to hear it for yourself before you freak out. The general consensus is that these headphones sound amazing for the money. You've got a few people in the thread with squiggly lines on paper who say it doesn't sound amazing cause look at these graphs! I get mine tomorrow, so I'll get to see for myself as well although I'm thinking it's signature will be a perfect fit for me and my music genres.

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #138 of 709
Brother you put too much stock in the words of strangers. At least wait to hear it for yourself before you freak out. The general consensus is that these headphones sound amazing for the money. You've got a few people in the thread with squiggly lines on paper who say it doesn't sound amazing cause look at these graphs! I get mine tomorrow, so I'll get to see for myself as well although I'm thinking it's signature will be a perfect fit for me and my music genres.
I think i will give it a listen before I decide to keep or return :). Im still curious about it.

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #140 of 709

I don't really care too much for frequency graphs mostly because my range of genres is wide, but classical, pop and modern vocal heavy music isn't really in it. Funky mids don't really effect me at all. The weird bass will probably bother me though.

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #141 of 709

I think it’s at least a tier up from the LCD2C which in my opinion is only about as good, if not worse than the mid-fi trio. Either way, always try something if you have the chance to.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #142 of 709
I'm from Canada and have some interest in this headphone. I'm wondering if it's better/cheaper to order from Amazon.com rather than Musicteck directly? With Amazon you know the import fees straight up, but from Musictek you wouldn't know what extra brokerage/tax fees you would have to pay until you pick them up from the post office.

Also, would a THX 789 be a good amp to pair with these? Probably also worth picking up a 4.4mm to XLR adapter?

Thanks

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #144 of 709
Seeing so many contradictory opinions on these is somewhat unsettling. It does feel like there is a QC issue here as well. Wondering whether to get these.
Better wait. Wait for impressions from familiar and objective members. Ischabible gave his. Lets wait for others. $600 is no small money to waste.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #146 of 709
I'm always a sucker for controversial headphones. The most well-received headphones on the market are the ones I've been luke-warm to, so the more I read about these, the more interested I am.

FWIW, I'm looking to maybe trade my LCD-2C for these. Just sayin'. :)

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #148 of 709
I’m glad I bought these. I think of them as a cheaper HE1000v2. Screw all the haters! I’m comparing them to more expensive cans I own and love these so much. I wish they had a website.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #149 of 709
I’m glad I bought these. I think of them as a cheaper HE1000v2. Screw all the haters! I’m comparing them to more expensive cans I own and love these so much. I wish they had a website.
That’s exactly how I felt when I tested Aiva and Hek v2 side by side. Reading this thread just always makes me wondering how different people’s tastes are. All my friends who I let them try these headphones and myself love them to death.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #150 of 709
That’s exactly how I felt when I tested Aiva and Hek v2 side by side. Reading this thread just always makes me wondering how different people’s tastes are. All my friends who I let them try these headphones and myself love them to death.
I think people don’t let their hearing adjust to new sound. For example I can’t listen to HE1000v2 and jump to Aeolus and be happy , I need to adjust to the different sound characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back