NEW! SENDY AUDIO AIVA Impressions?
Mar 20, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #64 of 709
There is at least one reviewer so far that is speaking really highly of them.
This is like his only video but apparenty he is metal571's friend and metal agreed with his impression based on his reddit comments.

According to this review video, it seems Aiva is not that good in Bass region. I mainly listen to movie soundtracks, I have added some of my favorite soundtracks which I think have really deep bass tones, you guys think Aiva is good enough for those or should I buy something like LCD-2C?

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #67 of 709
I originally posted here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sendyaudio-aiva.900444/page-2#post-14851632

Got my demo unit in yesterday.

First impressions:

Wow, very recessed upper midrange. I initially thought I would have preferred this but it's too much for me. That plus the jump in the treble, I think, makes for an uneven and fairly unnatural sounding response. Distant upper harmonics in vocals but forward cymbals and hi-hats. Bass seems to extend well though it didn't seem to seal well on my MiniDSP EARS. The mid-bass seems to be punchy but I think seems to sound a fair bit loose(?) - like some slower decay of sorts. Treble seems to be excellent. Very detailed, clear, and highly resolving - little details and decays after cymbals crashes are clear and easily heard. It's not sharp nor painful though. Maybe just a bit out of place with the highly recessed upper midrange.

As of now, I'm lukewarm about the headphones.

The measurements on the left are mine, the one on the right is not but used as a comparison. Seems like there are quite a bit of variance in the midrange and upper midrange. Everything below 100 Hz can be disregarded as it's dependent on seal, whereas everything above isn't for the most part.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #68 of 709
According to this review video, it seems Aiva is not that good in Bass region. I mainly listen to movie soundtracks, I have added some of my favorite soundtracks which I think have really deep bass tones, you guys think Aiva is good enough for those or should I buy something like LCD-2C?

How is the bass extension on this guy compared to a lcd-2 etc?

Not sure if this will help, but I've heard a LCD-2.1 Pre-Fazor. Bass on the LCD's is better IMO. Very punchy and tight bass response. The bass on the Aiva seems to be a bit loose. Rumbles are easily felt and heard on the Audeze's. Not so much on the Aiva's.

also very curious about bass comparisons. HE560/M1060C? I don't mind if the bass quantity is low as long as it can produce lows.

Currently have a HE560 on hand. Bass seems to be thicker and looser on the Aiva. The HE560 (Focus A pads) has a more tight bass response with little decay. Extension should be similar with a good seal.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #69 of 709
Not sure if this will help, but I've heard a LCD-2.1 Pre-Fazor. Bass on the LCD's is better IMO. Very punchy and tight bass response. The bass on the Aiva seems to be a bit loose. Rumbles are easily felt and heard on the Audeze's. Not so much on the Aiva's.

Currently have a HE560 on hand. Bass seems to be thicker and looser on the Aiva. The HE560 (Focus A pads) has a more tight bass response with little decay. Extension should be similar with a good seal.

Thanks. That's unfortunate, but still these are the best looking headphones I've ever seen.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #70 of 709
Ordered a unit from taobao a few days ago. Probably will be receiving it by the end of next week. Will post some impressions here later.

Had the Audeze LCD2C before. Not gonna lie, was disappointed with the bass impact (bass extension is great but it is very linear) as I liked my previously sold Focal Elear bass more (with True-Fi eq). Not to mention, they are heavy and their headband, despite using the newer Audeze headband system, creates hotspot on my head after an hour of using them.

Had a Stax L300 system recently. Definitely the best sounding pair of headphones that Ive ever listened to bar the weak bass. Despite the weak bass, I much prefer listening to L300 than LCD2C when it comes to movies and Hans Zimmer soundtracks (Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack oofff). What prompted me to sell those is their toy plastic build quality + the worst feeling in terms of overall comfort. Had to take them off from my head every 20 mins because wearing them literally pains my ears.

Hopefully the Aiva can feel in the gap left by L300 (bright, analytical and neutral) as a companion to my Fostex TH900 (best closed back ive ever owned <usd1k used once tweaked a lil bit with EQ to lessen the sharp highs). TH900 has been my go-to headphones for modern songs and gaming (soundstage considerably wider than LCD2C and better imaging). Just recently got myself a used Massdrop CTH which I hope can help to lessen the upper midrange recession on the Aiva.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #71 of 709
Had the Audeze LCD2C before. Not gonna lie, was disappointed with the bass impact (bass extension is great but it is very linear) as I liked my previously sold Focal Elear bass more (with True-Fi eq). Not to mention, they are heavy and their headband, despite using the newer Audeze headband system, creates hotspot on my head after an hour of using them.

I don't think Planars can even generate bass impact with reasonable volume levels. The appeal to me is how low they can go and usually without sacrificing much elsewhere.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #72 of 709
I don't think Planars can even generate bass impact with reasonable volume levels. The appeal to me is how low they can go and usually without sacrificing much elsewhere.
The thing is other than the linear bass, there’s nothing else that makes LCD2C stands out against their competitors. The mids r a bit uneven as with almost every other planar headphones. Hd650 do mids better with more details, for example. The soundstage is not wide, the imaging is not very accurate (i dont recommend gaming with these). The highs are not as present. Im a treble sensitivr guy and even i find them Very dark and these attributes do not make them a pair of headphones that i want to keep as part of my permanent collection. Owned them for half a year before i decided to sell them to get other headphones.

They are quite forgiving with poorly recorded songs but i’d rather take my trusty HD650 for that purpose.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #73 of 709
That is very confusing to me. you mentioned planars can't generate bass impact and again saying they can go very low frequencies. How is that possible, if they can go very low frequencies it must be able to make good impact.
You maybe talking about the amount of bass you can get from a planar is lower compared to dynamic drivers. That can be correct based on their technology and design.

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #74 of 709
That is very confusing to me. you mentioned planars can't generate bass impact and again saying they can go very low frequencies. How is that possible, if they can go very low frequencies it must be able to make good impact.
You maybe talking about the amount of bass you can get from a planar is lower compared to dynamic drivers. That can be correct based on their technology and design.
Planar bass can go very low into the subbass region without the impact and the volume. LCD2C is the perfect example of this sort of linear bass. Despite people praising the bass of the LCD2C, i wouldnt recommend the headphones for basshead because of the lack of impact. I cant really explain in proper terms since english is not my mother tongue, so I hope maybe other head-fiers can chime in on this matter.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #75 of 709
I originally posted here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sendyaudio-aiva.900444/page-2#post-14851632

Got my demo unit in yesterday.

First impressions:

Wow, very recessed upper midrange. I initially thought I would have preferred this but it's too much for me. That plus the jump in the treble, I think, makes for an uneven and fairly unnatural sounding response. Distant upper harmonics in vocals but forward cymbals and hi-hats. Bass seems to extend well though it didn't seem to seal well on my MiniDSP EARS. The mid-bass seems to be punchy but I think seems to sound a fair bit loose(?) - like some slower decay of sorts. Treble seems to be excellent. Very detailed, clear, and highly resolving - little details and decays after cymbals crashes are clear and easily heard. It's not sharp nor painful though. Maybe just a bit out of place with the highly recessed upper midrange.

As of now, I'm lukewarm about the headphones.

The measurements on the left are mine, the one on the right is not but used as a comparison. Seems like there are quite a bit of variance in the midrange and upper midrange. Everything below 100 Hz can be disregarded as it's dependent on seal, whereas everything above isn't for the most part.
This is a pattern I've been seeing for planars for a long time. Issue with mids. They easily do linear bass, but mids is where they usually have issues. Hifiman seems to know best in how to deal with this.

Only if planars can do mids like HD6 series...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back