New SCL3 thoughts and tips advice
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
My white Shure SCL3 from GuitarCenter.com arrived today. I spent a long lunch hour browsing through my music collection on my computer listening and working on tips and proper fit. I'll start with the fit/tips observations.

Fit: I have small ear canals and none of the tips that come with the SCL3 fit my ear except the smallest soft gray tips. I wanted the small olive tips to work, but they are too big and put too much pressure on my ear, even after 1-2 minutes. But, with the smallest tips I get a great seal, full sound and very good isolation.

Question: does any one else make small or smaller tips that fit the SCL3?

I also found that to really maintain a good seal and position, I have to tuck the body into the concha (depression area), up against the inner ring. Is this typical for similar shape IEMs?

Sound: Even with a good fit, I can see why some people would say these phones are light in the bass. My first reaction to the first 30 seconds of listening to them was that mids are very strong, but clear and clean, and vocals are very dominant -- I know why singers would love these! The highs are clear and smooth, and the bass is full enough for me, but definitely not dominating. I can also tell the difference between songs I've recently re-ripped at a much higher bitrate (var. 240-355 Kbps), and songs I've downloaded that are 160 Kbps or below.

Comparatively, the Yuin PK3 is warmer and more open sounding -- the SCL3 sounds more closed in, but it may just be me getting used to the difference between and IEM and earbuds.

Bottom line, I'm glad I bought these because there are times I want some isolation, and there are some music applications where I can use the clear strong midrange focus of these phones.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Sounds like the SCL3 fits about like the SCL4 and sounds about the same signature-wise as well. I imagine the detail is better with the SCL4 (not sure about any bass difference), but other than that what you've described sounds similar to my experience.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SCL4 are supposed to improve the bass response over the SCL3.

Yeah, I'm probably going to wish I had just bought the SCL4 for $20 more, and I might still return the SCL3 and buy the SCL4.

What about smaller tips? Does anyone know if there are tips that fit the SCL3 that are a little smaller than the smallest tips that come with it??

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm probably going to wish I had just bought the SCL4 for $20 more, and I might still return the SCL3 and buy the SCL4.

What about smaller tips? Does anyone know if there are tips that fit the SCL3 that are a little smaller than the smallest tips that come with it??

Did you try the yellow foam ones? The comply t100 might be a good option because the compress quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back