New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #9,451 of 9,483
HD800 works very well with Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. I don't find it bright and love how this setup sounds. It's clear and dynamic.

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #9,453 of 9,483
HD800 works very well with Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. I don't find it bright and love how this setup sounds. It's clear and dynamic.

Is there an aftermarket headphone cable for the HD800 or HD800S that you recommend? I am wondering is a headphone cable upgrade is really worth it considering the balanced cable that comes with the HD800S is pretty decent.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #9,454 of 9,483
Is there an aftermarket headphone cable for the HD800 or HD800S that you recommend? I am wondering is a headphone cable upgrade is really worth it considering the balanced cable that comes with the HD800S is pretty decent.

When I was buying the HD800 at the shop, I tried it with a Cardas balanced cable. Sounds very good but it's too long and expensive. I won't pay that much for a cable.

I got a Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 from https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36. Sounds and looks good. Light weight and I got it at the ideal length for my usage.

I didn't do any comparison with HD800 original cable and I feel the original cable is good enough but it's too long for my desk top usage.

This is how it looks.

Perfect.JPG

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #9,455 of 9,483
When I was buying the HD800 at the shop, I tried it with a Cardas balanced cable. Sounds very good but it's too long and expensive. I won't pay that much for a cable.

I got a Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 from https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36. Sounds and looks good. Light weight and I got it at the ideal length for my usage.

I didn't do any comparison with HD800 original cable and I feel the original cable is good enough but it's too long for my desk top usage.

This is how it looks.

Thank you for the feedback.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #9,456 of 9,483
Any Utopia owners with Rag Yggy combo? How is the pairing? Also, does anyone find this pairing too bright with HD800/S?

I have the Rag and Yggy combo and have heard Utopia on it. I love it a lot. There's great synergy here. Details, clarity and dynamics.

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #9,458 of 9,483
You are welcome. I see you have a Yggdrasil on order. Yggy and Rggy is a great combo for a lot of headphones. I love how Atticus sounds with the Forza Claire Hybrid HPC cable with Yggy and Rggy.

One of the reasons why I got the Ragnarok is that it has the power, neutrality, and refinement to go well with a wide variety of headphones. If I get planars or some other type of headphone to compliment my HD800S in the future the Ragnarok will bring them up to their potential. I also like that the Ragnarok has multiple inputs vs. other headphone amps. I want to be able to switch between my DAC and my Turntable. I also use the Ragnarok to drive my speakers so I can use my fine source components in both the headphone and speakers worlds without compromises such as switching cables. Ragnarok is a good speaker amp if the speakers are a good match when it comes to power.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #9,459 of 9,483
Ragnarok Connection to REL Subwoofer Compatibility Inquiry...

I do not mean to derail any current threads/topics...and am genuinely sorry if this question is off current topic, HOWEVER...

I need to know if the Ragnarok amplifier section/speaker outputs can safely be connected via the REL speakon cables to the high level/speaker level inputs of the REL subwoofers...as opposed to connecting the Ragnarok to the REL subs via the pre-amplifier/line level outputs of the Ragnarok, into the line level inputs on the REL subwoofer...?...

The reason for using the speaker level outputs/inputs is due to that being the preferred/recommended connection according to REL..(a more direct connection and therefore cleaner interface/greater signal integrity). REL lists and has amplifier-design specific videos demonstrating the way to make the connections from a variety of different amplifier designs, however, they do not have one for the Ragarok's "Circlotron" design/topology.

I am driving a pair of Audience Clairaudient 1+1 V2+ monitors with the amplifier section of my Ragnarok. Due to their relatively limited audible low frequency output limit, (circa 60Hz.-80Hz.), I am planning on augmenting the bass with a pair of REL subwoofers...quite possibly a pair of their T5i subs. I am looking forward to augmenting the 1+1's so that the system might reproduce the entire orchestral frequency range with reasonable dynamic range...

For what it is worth, the Ragnarok does appear to drive the 1+1's nicely, (sufficient power/control, etc,...), however, I am reasonably sure that there might be dedicated amps which might drive them even better, as the 1+1's greatest strengths are their clarity, imaging, (depth and breadth), and overall sonic naturalness within their inherent limitations due to design parameters.

Please feel free to weigh-in on the original inquiry, or anything else on which I have touched.

THANK YOU!
T.A.K.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #9,460 of 9,483
Ragnarok Connection to REL Subwoofer Compatibility Inquiry...

I do not mean to derail any current threads/topics...and am genuinely sorry if this question is off current topic, HOWEVER...

I need to know if the Ragnarok amplifier section/speaker outputs can safely be connected via the REL speakon cables to the high level/speaker level inputs of the REL subwoofers...as opposed to connecting the Ragnarok to the REL subs via the pre-amplifier/line level outputs of the Ragnarok, into the line level inputs on the REL subwoofer...?...

The reason for using the speaker level outputs/inputs is due to that being the preferred/recommended connection according to REL..(a more direct connection and therefore cleaner interface/greater signal integrity). REL lists and has amplifier-design specific videos demonstrating the way to make the connections from a variety of different amplifier designs, however, they do not have one for the Ragarok's "Circlotron" design/topology.

I am driving a pair of Audience Clairaudient 1+1 V2+ monitors with the amplifier section of my Ragnarok. Due to their relatively limited audible low frequency output limit, (circa 60Hz.-80Hz.), I am planning on augmenting the bass with a pair of REL subwoofers...quite possibly a pair of their T5i subs. I am looking forward to augmenting the 1+1's so that the system might reproduce the entire orchestral frequency range with reasonable dynamic range...

For what it is worth, the Ragnarok does appear to drive the 1+1's nicely, (sufficient power/control, etc,...), however, I am reasonably sure that there might be dedicated amps which might drive them even better, as the 1+1's greatest strengths are their clarity, imaging, (depth and breadth), and overall sonic naturalness within their inherent limitations due to design parameters.

Please feel free to weigh-in on the original inquiry, or anything else on which I have touched.

THANK YOU!
T.A.K.

the ragnarok is a class a/b amplifier, so i would follow those recommendations. the speakeron connector should be fine -- it's just a speaker connection that's durable (designed for pro audio).

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #9,461 of 9,483
the ragnarok is a class a/b amplifier, so i would follow those recommendations. the speakeron connector should be fine -- it's just a speaker connection that's durable (designed for pro audio).
Dear jcn3:

I very much appreciate your prompt response/input, and genuinely hope that there are no little known "quirks" to the "Circlotron" amplifier design/topology/Ranarok that would conflict with your suggestions. I am also hoping to hear from someone from Schiit Audio, be it Jason or someone else in the know, who might confirm that which you have so helpfully provided. The last thing I want to do is discover the "hard way", that something about Ragnarok's grounding scheme was different/incompatible...lol...

Does anyone know if the Schiit Audio team is exhibiting at CANJAM Singapore?...and therefor, the entire office/company has shut down during that audio event?...Generally speaking, Schiit Audio responds to e-mail inquiries relatively promptly...however, I have yet to hear back from them on this question...

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #9,462 of 9,483
Dear jcn3:

I very much appreciate your prompt response/input, and genuinely hope that there are no little known "quirks" to the "Circlotron" amplifier design/topology/Ranarok that would conflict with your suggestions. I am also hoping to hear from someone from Schiit Audio, be it Jason or someone else in the know, who might confirm that which you have so helpfully provided. The last thing I want to do is discover the "hard way", that something about Ragnarok's grounding scheme was different/incompatible...lol...

Does anyone know if the Schiit Audio team is exhibiting at CANJAM Singapore?...and therefor, the entire office/company has shut down during that audio event?...Generally speaking, Schiit Audio responds to e-mail inquiries relatively promptly...however, I have yet to hear back from them on this question...
I would try their tech support phone. They have always been very helpful to me. Also quite responsive.

I have the Ragnarok and the only concern I would have without understanding the connection topology is if they somehow ground our sum the channels for input.

The Rag output is fully balanced so the speaker outputs have no reference to ground. And I would assume it does not like having its speaker connections connected to each other.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #9,463 of 9,483
The Rag output is fully balanced so the speaker outputs have no reference to ground. And I would assume it does not like having its speaker connections connected to each other.

i don't believe that to be true -- i've never seen the "-" speaker output on an amp balanced or otherwise not connected to ground. do you have a picture of the insides of the rag to show this?

edit: the signal processing is fully balanced, but speaker connections aren't (they're just a two wire connection).

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #9,465 of 9,483
i don't believe that to be true -- i've never seen the "-" speaker output on an amp balanced or otherwise not connected to ground. do you have a picture of the insides of the rag to show this?

edit: the signal processing is fully balanced, but speaker connections aren't (they're just a two wire connection).
Yes the speaker and HP outputs are truly balanced, as in the (-) is NOT tied to ground and if you do ground them (or even connect the (-) L&R together) the protection circuits will kick in.

Look into the circlotron circuit design and topology for a better understanding.

JJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back