New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jul 31, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #9,361 of 9,484
I heard a pair of Audio Note speakers which were driven by AN amp. It belted out the bass like there's no tomorrow. And this was without a sub in place. Very impressed.

Nice. The AN-J or AN-E? Would be interesting to hear how they sound on the solid state Rag.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #9,362 of 9,484
Hello.... my Eikon and balanced headphone cables have not even arrived. Don't enticed me with good speakers so soon.

Before I know it, I would want a pair of Vidars and a Freya. :)

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #9,363 of 9,484
Haha. Now that's an idea. Think of it as early Christmas shopping. :darthsmile:

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #9,365 of 9,484
At the Australian HiFi Show on Sunday, I entered the Audio Note room..... now I am trying to forget what I heard....

So back to reality... I wonder why this thread became so quiet. I mean Yggy + Rggy + HD800 now is sounding like the Audio Note of the head-fi world. When I say, there's bite in the tone, I mean it. When I say it puts springs in your steps again, I mean literally that. This is how I want to hear my music. It's alive. It's clear, it has speed. It will show you what fast transient response is all about. It is not fatiguing. This is difficult to implement. When you get a very clear tone, you immediately associate that with strident or sibilant. Nothing could be further from the truth. This setup is as enjoyable to listen to as the Yggy + Euforia + HD800 setup but with a snap attack and immediacy that gets your pulse racing.

Ok.... back to 1812 Overtures.

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #9,366 of 9,484
I had Yggdrasil connected to Ragnarok by Schiit's Pyst xlr interconnects and it works beautifully.

However in the absence of a longer xlr cable, I use RCA interconnects between Yggy and Rggy so I can place them side by side. When I do this, I get no sound, even after selecting the correct input on Rggy, which is number 3.... that's where I connect the RCA cable to. I tried the gain switch, switch that toggles between speaker/hp, speaker and headphone but to no avail.

Anyone face a similar problem? Not that I would need to use RCA cable once my 1 metre xlr balance cable arrives.

Ps... no lights were flashing on Rggy's front panel. Everything is as per normal.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #9,367 of 9,484
Got a longer pair of xlr balance interconnects. Now Ragnarok can sit side by side with Yggdrasil.

This combo sounds so good with modified HD650 in balance mode.

20170804_065427.jpg

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #9,369 of 9,484
It is not as hot as you think. I can rest my palm on Ragnarok and I have a nice palm heater.

HD650 mod consists of cutting a coin hole in the front thin cover. Removing the spider and thick foam on the back of the drivers.

Finally, car sound deadening material on the back of each cup.

Good sound but I hate the DIY looks.

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #9,373 of 9,484
I had Yggdrasil connected to Ragnarok by Schiit's Pyst xlr interconnects and it works beautifully.

However in the absence of a longer xlr cable, I use RCA interconnects between Yggy and Rggy so I can place them side by side. When I do this, I get no sound, even after selecting the correct input on Rggy, which is number 3.... that's where I connect the RCA cable to. I tried the gain switch, switch that toggles between speaker/hp, speaker and headphone but to no avail.

Anyone face a similar problem? Not that I would need to use RCA cable once my 1 metre xlr balance cable arrives.

Ps... no lights were flashing on Rggy's front panel. Everything is as per normal.
I have a great pair of WyWires Red balanced ICs for sale in our For Sale area. I upgraded to Wywires Platinum balanced ICs.

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #9,375 of 9,484
If I had known this combo sounded so good with HD800 and HD650, I would have bought it when I started Head-Fi. Instead of going through several amps and dacs. I haven't power on my tube amp for 3 days because this combo mesmerised my ears. Now my Forza Audioworks cables for HD800 and ZMF Eikon has just shipped, it can only get better.

Soundstage is astonishingly wide and that bass. It has impact.

20170805_174716.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back