New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 3, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #8,432 of 9,483
I should say not because I don't want to or don't have the time, but because I am building an endgame system and I couldn't afford to buy all the gear at once. So essentially no amp to use it with yet, though I have a Liquid Carbon coming next month, but that won't be staying long - if I like it I might pick up a LAu.

I hope you acquire your end game amp, so you enjoy your Yggdrasil. The Yggdrasil sounds great out of the box and gets better through use.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #8,433 of 9,483
Is there any suggestion on the connection type between CD transport and Yggy? What kind of interface (coaxial, AES) is the best?

Besides, why does the Yggy not provide an I2S interface like Audio-GD Master 7? What about the performance of Yggy's build-in USB interface?

I have so far just used the Yggdrasi's coaxial and tosilink to connect to my cd transports. I have yet to order a cd transport that has a AES output. The yggy's built in usb interface works quite well. However I have a MacBook Pro, and can not vouch for ease of use with a pc based computer. The Yggy is a great dac, and I have used it with my cd player/ transports and computer, and I love the yggy/ rag combo.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #8,434 of 9,483
I have so far just used the Yggdrasi's coaxial and tosilink to connect to my cd transports. I have yet to order a cd transport that has a AES output. The yggy's built in usb interface works quite well. However I have a MacBook Pro, and can not vouch for ease of use with a pc based computer. The Yggy is a great dac, and I have used it with my cd player/ transports and computer, and I love the yggy/ rag combo.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #8,435 of 9,483
OK, so we've smoked out the Old Farts on this thread. No, I don't actually own The Power and The Majesty LP, though I do have one of MFSL's even earlier efforts, Internationally Famous Dan Gurney and His World of Racing. And, no, I did not buy it the day it came out...

Back to Yggdrasil, I just wanted to help Matthew understand that, while Ygg is not by itself "bright," there are a lot of recordings out there which are - and Ygg will do absolutely nothing to take those edges off. Just don't be too quick to blame the DAC.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #8,437 of 9,483
Can anyone tell me what's the next best thing other than Yggy, I really need remote volume control as my system is placed in a separate room from my speakers.  What' the next best DAC other than Yggy with a remote control? I'm thinking Audio-gd Master 7?

Thanks.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #8,438 of 9,483
  Can anyone tell me what's the next best thing other than Yggy, I really need remote volume control as my system is placed in a separate room from my speakers.  What' the next best DAC other than Yggy with a remote control?

Why would you want a volume control on your DAC?  That's what a preamp is for.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #8,439 of 9,483
Trying to not use preamp, cause they add their own sound signature, and that's additional cost too.  But I'm open, any preamp I should consider.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #8,440 of 9,483
  Trying to not use preamp, cause they add their own sound signature, and that's additional cost too.  But I'm open, any preamp I should consider.

A volume control in the DAC will be no better if not worse than the pre-amp.  They will operate on the same principles in any case.  Your other option would be to lower the volume on the DAC input BUT then your not bit-perfect.  

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #8,441 of 9,483
Well, NAD m51 supposedly have a good volume control scheme right?  which I guess technically is the same as lowering the volume from the source, which is what I am planning to do, using an app on the phone to do volume control while connecting to jriver/powerdvd.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #8,443 of 9,483

The idea of adding "sound signature" is foolishness.  Some preamps do this, sure, especially valve-based ones.  But any good solid state preamp will be transparent enough that you will never notice it.  And if you do, it's likely because of an impedance mis-match between it and your source or a sub-par amplifier more than it is likely to be due to the preamp.  Any good analog pre that you can afford and that has the features you need is what you want.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #8,444 of 9,483
  The idea of adding "sound signature" is foolishness.  Some preamps do this, sure, especially valve-based ones.  But any good solid state preamp will be transparent enough that you will never notice it.  And if you do, it's likely because of an impedance mis-match between it and your source or a sub-par amplifier more than it is likely to be due to the preamp.  Any good analog pre that you can afford and that has the features you need is what you want.

Ok thanks, I guess it's time for me to find "any good solid state preamp".

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #8,445 of 9,483
If your rig is in another room will you have line of sight? If not, the remote control will have to be RF or WiFi and not IR. The range might come into play also.
Ok thanks, I guess it's time for me to find "any good solid state preamp".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back