New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jul 1, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #8,236 of 9,484
I don't know I just had an image of reddog running out of his burning house with the Ygg cradled in his arms. Oddly enough there was a big smile on his face despite the fact his house was burning to the ground
smily_headphones1.gif

AND the heat from the fire will keep the Iggy warm.

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #8,237 of 9,484

I don't know I just had an image of reddog running out of his burning house with the Ygg cradled in his arms. Oddly enough there was a big smile on his face despite the fact his house was burning to the ground
smily_headphones1.gif

AND the heat from the fire will keep the Iggy warm.

Who says that men can't multitask?

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #8,238 of 9,484
I don't know I just had an image of reddog running out of his burning house with the Ygg cradled in his arms. Oddly enough there was a big smile on his face despite the fact his house was burning to the ground :)

+1 lol I would walk through fire to save my yggy/ rag combo. I am getting a battery back up for my yggy, thought it would be here. But the amount of lightning storms this year has me nervous. I am afraid god wil send a lightning bolt to shock the monkey out of my stuff. I have yet to unplug anything yet and will do it only if I I can count the bolts approaching.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #8,239 of 9,484
Lol I would be more worried about my house catching fire if struck directly by lightning- but that's just me

1-Home Owner's Ins.
2- Yggy 5yr warrantee

No worries..
Unless "Acts of God" not covered..

Hmm
Does anybody know if yggy warantee cover lightning?
:)

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #8,240 of 9,484
1-Home Owner's Ins.
2- Yggy 5yr warrantee

No worries..
Unless "Acts of God" not covered..

Hmm
Does anybody know if yggy warantee cover lightning?
:)

I had a lightning strike kill a pair of big Soundlab Electrostatics a few years ago. My homeowners paid for a new pair minus the deductible. Though USAA is a pretty exceptional insurance company.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #8,241 of 9,484
A lighting strike killed my garage door opener, phone answering machine. modem, and high end Sony TV some years ago.  The TV was 3 years old and that model was no longer top dog so USAA bought me the top model for the current year.  Amazing company.  BTW the Sony was on a power strip and it was turned off (but not unplugged).

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #8,242 of 9,484
Same here, the Soundlab A1s were no longer manufactured so they purchased a pair of 845s. Unfortunately my Ex. Wife took the speakers when she left......damn I miss those Speakers:wink:!

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #8,243 of 9,484
  Nothing at realistic price point beats Mogami cables. For xlr, get the Mogami W2549. Chances are your music was produced using it.

Interesting, I searched the web and I noticed that some are not very confident in using that Mogami cable in devices different than microphones. They say that they would be great only for recording audio, not for reproducing it (?). Anyway, I've found this:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/1Ft-Mogami-W2549-Patch-Cable-XLRM-XLRF-w-Neutrik-Nickel-Housing-Contacts-/261354103710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd9eb239e

I wonder if this 1 ft cable could be used for interconnecting Ragnarok with Yggdrasil with great results, or if Schiit PYST XLR would be even better (compared to a pair of those eBay cables, it would cost 20 $ more). Schiit products usually have an excellent quality-price ratio, so I suppose that PYST XLR could compete with cables costing more?

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #8,244 of 9,484
Hi all.
So-is anyone listening to DSD (Via conversion to 24 bit PCM) with the Ygg?

I am considering the Yggy. I have the Ragnarok now- and am satisfied that it lives up to it's hype-when listening to my HE-560's via balanced cables. It really is terrific. I am currently using my OppoBDP105D as my source-and though it has really fine capabilities to play various high quality inputs-and act as a DAC, I find myself primarily listening to CD's or SACD's (MANY of my favorite Classical recordings.). I'm not saying that I prefer DSD to 24 bit PCM-just that most of my collection is DSD. 
My OPPO can convert the DSD and output as PCM for the Yggdrasil-but then I wonder if there is a loss in conversion and if the bit perfect benefit is lost.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #8,245 of 9,484
  Hi all.
So-is anyone listening to DSD (Via conversion to 24 bit PCM) with the Ygg?

I am considering the Yggy. I have the Ragnarok now- and am satisfied that it lives up to it's hype-when listening to my HE-560's via balanced cables. It really is terrific. I am currently using my OppoBDP105D as my source-and though it has really fine capabilities to play various high quality inputs-and act as a DAC, I find myself primarily listening to CD's or SACD's (MANY of my favorite Classical recordings.). I'm not saying that I prefer DSD to 24 bit PCM-just that most of my collection is DSD. 
My OPPO can convert the DSD and output as PCM for the Yggdrasil-but then I wonder if there is a loss in conversion and if the bit perfect benefit is lost.

My player (Audirvana Plus) uses iZotope for the conversion and does a very good job of converting DSD to PCM for Yggy. Much of my library is SACD too, and sounds wonderful through Yggy (limited by source recording quality, of course).

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #8,247 of 9,484

Interesting, I searched the web and I noticed that some are not very confident in using that Mogami cable in devices different than microphones. They say that they would be great only for recording audio, not for reproducing it (?). Anyway, I've found this:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/1Ft-Mogami-W2549-Patch-Cable-XLRM-XLRF-w-Neutrik-Nickel-Housing-Contacts-/261354103710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd9eb239e

I wonder if this 1 ft cable could be used for interconnecting Ragnarok with Yggdrasil with great results, or if Schiit PYST XLR would be even better (compared to a pair of those eBay cables, it would cost 20 $ more). Schiit products usually have an excellent quality-price ratio, so I suppose that PYST XLR could compete with cables costing more?

It's cheap so try it and report back :)

I've compared a **** ton of cheap cables, Mogami are so much more natural sounding it's not funny. If you are after colored audiophile sound then look elsewhere though.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #8,249 of 9,484
I use mogamis custom made by proaudiola and I think they work great. Unfortunately they won't make me headphone cables because they think Mini-XLR is unreliable and they want to stand behind their products.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #8,250 of 9,484
Has anyone considered this UPS for the Yggy? I find it ideal for the application and quite reasonably priced. I own a Tripp Lite Isolation Transformer and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-avr550u~7TRPL1JV.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back