New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #8,086 of 9,484
HS-

Schiit clearly says… Yggy should be left on 24/7…. I think all DACs should be, perhaps unless they're tube based..

I am VERY unfamiliar w/ DACs in this price range, however a few have been brought over to compare...

Not that I'm in the market at this price range, however I'd love to know what DACs you think are "better for a lot less money" !!!!  Do tell !

David

David, Jason and others have said there will be "trickle down" technology from the Yggy to their lower priced DACs.

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #8,089 of 9,484
I have a question for the more tech-savvy Head-Fi-ers:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of how Audirvana works is that it adds zeros to the bit depth of the file, while remaining bit perfect. So, for example, when I play a 24/88.2 file, Audirvana changes the sample rate to 88.2, but the bit depth is always 32, regardless of whether the file is 16 or 24.

So, my question is, how will Audirvana's output interact with the Yggy? Would a player that doesn't add zeros be a better choice?

A related question is: If the Yggy is a 20-bit DAC, what will Audirvana do with 24-bit files?

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #8,090 of 9,484

It is important to note that the Yggy requires 10 days or so to reach it's full sonic potential, and the review you got is from someone who sold his Yggy after 4 days. I would caution you about accepting this review as the sole basis of a purchasing decision. In fact, as an Yggy owner I'd suggest you get one and run it for 12 days, then compare it to your Hugo.

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, I read that Yggy needs a long burn-in time and should be even left on afterwards. I will continue my research to see if anyone had compared the two and if I still have no luck, then I probably need to purchase the Yggy and do the homework myself. But that's such a hassle... Argh...

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #8,091 of 9,484
wink.gif
Quote:

It is important to note that the Yggy requires 10 days or so to reach it's full sonic potential, and the review you got is from someone who sold his Yggy after 4 days. I would caution you about accepting this review as the sole basis of a purchasing decision. In fact, as an Yggy owner I'd suggest you get one and run it for 12 days, then compare it to your Hugo.

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, I read that Yggy needs a long burn-in time and should be even left on afterwards. I will continue my research to see if anyone had compared the two and if I still have no luck, then I probably need to purchase the Yggy and do the homework myself. But that's such a hassle... Argh...

The hard part will be selling a used Hugo. 
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #8,093 of 9,484
  I have a question for the more tech-savvy Head-Fi-ers:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of how Audirvana works is that it adds zeros to the bit depth of the file, while remaining bit perfect. So, for example, when I play a 24/88.2 file, Audirvana changes the sample rate to 88.2, but the bit depth is always 32, regardless of whether the file is 16 or 24.

So, my question is, how will Audirvana's output interact with the Yggy? Would a player that doesn't add zeros be a better choice?

A related question is: If the Yggy is a 20-bit DAC, what will Audirvana do with 24-bit files?

You are worrying about too much ahead of time.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #8,095 of 9,484

The hard part will be selling a used Hugo. 
wink.gif

Why do you say that? I'm about to sell my Hugo (when I get my Yggy)...

Sorry friend, I thought the wink would convey the intended humor implied by assuming that the Yggy will surpass the Hugo.

Full Disclosure: I am an Yggy owner.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #8,096 of 9,484

I am now curious for those who have had theirs for a bit longer - has anyone had theirs off after more extensive burn in and if so did it still take time to get back to normal?

So far yes, still takes a week (or two) to get back to "awesome" if left off even for a while. A minute or two to move the DAC... no big deal. More than that? Need to start over or at the very least a few more days. Keep in mind that no one has had an Yggy for more than a few months at this point. Things might be different a year from now.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #8,098 of 9,484
So far yes, still takes a week (or two) to get back to "awesome" if left off even for a while. A minute or two to move the DAC... no big deal. More than that? Need to start over or at the very least a few more days. Keep in mind that no one has had an Yggy for more than a few months at this point. Things might be different a year from now.

+1 Well said sir. I have only turned of the yggy long enough to switch out different amps. The Yggy sounds awesome with my other amps, as one should expect from the dac of god lol.:)

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #8,100 of 9,484
IIRC some DAC's out there with ENOB of 21 (Vega, DAC2 HGC) as verified in Sterophile measurements.  Most people who have listened (myself included) still tend to prefer Yggy.  Interestingly Yggy does not lose out at all in terms of precision but just has more musical nuance and less grain/rasp so definitely better overall for me.  Could be other downsides I have not identified yet but that would have to wait until I get my own (I worry about low level linearity but not sure if this is a thing.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back