New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 11, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #7,246 of 9,483
  Excellent post ,DacLadder,and you still have about 60-70 hours to go-no???

Yes and further improvement is just icing on the cake.  My Yggy opened up wide yesterday after 3 days of not sounding all that great.  I was like boom here you go on day 4.  Of course I was switching amps and USB connections as well so you have to figure that in as well.  Beautiful sounding DAC if you appreciate neutral, clean, and transparent.   

May 11, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #7,247 of 9,483
  Yes and further improvement is just icing on the cake.  My Yggy opened up wide yesterday after 3 days of not sounding all that great.  I was like boom here you go on day 4.  Of course I was switching amps and USB connections as well so you have to figure that in as well.  Beautiful sounding DAC if you appreciate neutral, clean, and transparent.   

Yes,I do...
Use it in good health
Mine is coming in ,..end of June..hoping it will give me something new ,for the 009's.

Mike

May 11, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #7,248 of 9,483

Thanks for your observations. I was curious what they would be as we both used M7 with the OR5 with your HDMI board for quite a while. Your observations are exactly as mine. Just give Yggy another 50 hours...

Thanks "Hypemaster" as you are known on other cork sniffing forums. :)  Yes we went both went down the same road together on the Master 7 HDMI I2S and I highly value your impressions and comments.  You did good on this one and it is no hype.  Give yourself a big pat on the back my friend!  

So I thank you Marv, Jason Stoddard, and Mike Moffat for a product that I truly love.  I never would have purchased it if I had not known you previously as the build up was just way over the top.  I am still shell shocked on how much improvement my home sound system made in 1 day.  Don't wake me up if it's a dream!     

May 11, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #7,251 of 9,483
I've heard no word on my order. I put in on Friday well before the Sunday back order notice went up. I gave requisite 5-7 business days plus some extra. Awaiting reply. We shall see. Was hoping to get by my bday this Friday. Oh well. It'll turn up eventually.

May 11, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #7,252 of 9,483
  Do you feel ,that your recent recorded albums,are sounding better ,than some that go back 5-10 years?

I don't have my Yiggy yet,but I do have the 009's & a KGST amp,....,recently, I have found ,that about 75% of most current CD's sound a lot better then some of the older cd's

also,if you had to choose between the 009,and the Hd800,for most of your music,which one would you prefer? ,or,do you listen to certain music,with the 009's,and other music with the HD800
Reason why I ask,is,I came very close to buying a used pair of HD800,the other day...,which I,used to have ,..many years ago,and I miss that SQ.

Any input/thoughts will be appreciated

Mike

On the whole I think the newer recorded albums are better, but there is a mix, almost all of it sounds "better" now that I have the rigs tuned. I think it also depends on the "live" albums versus the "studio" albums.
I have been mostly listening to the 009, but that is partly because I just got them about a month or so ago.  I think once the "honeymoon" is over I will be splitting time between the two. The HD800 are real good with some music and the 009's are real smooth with most music. I think it will come back to what I am wanting to hear (mood) and I also like the variety. I will throw the PS500 and HE500 in the mix from time to time, also.

I like to have a wide range of presentations depending on what I am doing and what I want out of a 'session'.  That is one reason I am trying to get SS and tube amps for both dynamic and electrostatic set-ups, for the variety, and for the fun of it. Maybe I will settle down to one set-up or two later but for now the options are keeping me entertained.

May 11, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #7,253 of 9,483

Thanks "Hypemaster" as you are known on other cork sniffing forums. :)  

Hypemaster, I like that! But only if the hype is deserved.

I doubt I will be hyping much going forward. Yggy is one of those really great pieces of gear that comes out once a decade or two. Whether other audiophile communities will embrace it, we don't know yet. Supposedly an engineer or two in the studios around here have taken note. I wonder if the big-boy audiophile community will take the Yggy seriously because of Ygg's relatively low cost, Schiit's lack of big advertising spend in the major rags like Stereophile or TAS, or Schiit's roots in the headphone audiophile community.

HFers should be thankful that they got first dibs on a DAC for a $2400 that bests other DACs costing two to tens times more.

Now we wait for Yggy 2 in 2018.

May 11, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #7,254 of 9,483
Guys! 
I need to ask you something! 
Do I get better sound if I bypass my Tube Pre Amp? or Should I run the signal through it? 
I am using: NAS> Bluesound Node ( toslink only digital out) > Yggy > Rogue Audio M180 mono blocks or Yggy > Rogue Perseus Preamp > M180's? 

I want to hear the difference...my Yggy is just about 100 hours! 
What do you say??

Thanks...

May 11, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #7,255 of 9,483
  Guys! 
Do I get better sound if I bypass my Tube Pre Amp? or Should I run the signal through it? 
I am using: NAS> Bluesound Node ( toslink only digital out) > Yggy > Rogue Audio M180 mono blocks or Yggy > Rogue Perseus Preamp > M180's? 

What do you say??

Thanks...

I say try it and see.  If you like the results of one method over the other, go for it.  My preference is to always have a preamp in the system, mainly for switching, volume control and level matching to the amplifier input.  But if it works for you without a preamp and for some reason you like the results more, then go for what you like more.  :)

May 11, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #7,256 of 9,483
  Guys! 

What do you say??

Thanks...

Once the magic happens, you tell us!

JJ

May 11, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #7,257 of 9,483
To follow-up on something mentioned earlier:

Can anyone elaborate on the supposed issues with Apple computers, USB, and the Yggy mentioned by at least a few people earlier in the thread?

Thanks!

May 11, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #7,259 of 9,483

I say try it and see.  If you like the results of one method over the other, go for it.  My preference is to always have a preamp in the system, mainly for switching, volume control and level matching to the amplifier input.  But if it works for you without a preamp and for some reason you like the results more, then go for what you like more.  :)

Once the magic happens, you tell us!

JJ

I just did...
I played Enrico Rava Quintet (Echoes of Duke) 
And It was magical. Yggy directly to the monos, OMG the guys were playing inside my house! the sound was so natural. I got goosebumps. I can feel every single detail. 

May 11, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #7,260 of 9,483

Hypemaster, I like that! But only if the hype is deserved.

I doubt I will be hyping much going forward. Yggy is one of those really great pieces of gear that comes out once a decade or two. Whether other audiophile communities will embrace it, we don't know yet. Supposedly an engineer or two in the studios around here have taken note. I wonder if the big-boy audiophile community will take the Yggy seriously because of Ygg's relatively low cost, Schiit's lack of big advertising spend in the major rags like Stereophile or TAS, or Schiit's roots in the headphone audiophile community.

HFers should be thankful that they got first dibs on a DAC for a $2400 that bests other DACs costing two to tens times more.

Now we wait for Yggy 2 in 2018.

Thanks to you both, Purrin and DACLadder. Along with hans030390 -- who sold me an Audio GD NOS1704 (my first "good" R2R after a few cheaper ones) -- you two have provided such great posts on R2R DACs, which have been really helpful in my DAC journey. I've owned the Modi and Bifrost Uber before and, despite Schiit's great build quality, I just can't do the D-S sound anymore. It's so great to hear that you two both give an enthusiastic nod to the Yggy over the Master 7 (my current DAC). That gives me a lot of confidence in purchasing a Yggy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back