New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 11, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #7,201 of 9,484
Bump...  

My Yggdrasil has been up and running since Friday afternoon, 55 hours and counting...  :)  ...with balanced cables driving my Ragnarok to new "lows"...I also elected to drive my Asgard 2 and Lyr amps with the Yggdrasil's unbalanced outputs, and due to space limitations had to stack both of Rag's little sibs on top of the Yggy...and when running the Asgard 2,(bottom of stack),  noticed that the case top of the Yggy became significantly warmer than when Asgard was not powered-up,...and I am wondering if I must elevate either of the "little" amps off the top of Yggy...
  Not sure if raising the temperature of the top of Yggy will cause warm-up problems, either because it is getting too warm, or simply because the generated temperature gradient due to the Asgard 2 not uniformly warming Yggy's top, or entire case for that matter...

Any thoughts...experience...?...

May 11, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #7,203 of 9,484
I forsee a lot of audiophiles being pulled over for speeding with their Yggy's in tow, "But officer, I'm on my way to a Head-Fi meet and I've only got 30 minutes to get there or my Yggy will revert to stock!"

+1 Lol. So officer how much will it take for you to go intimidate a donut somewhere?

May 11, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #7,205 of 9,484
  Bump...  

My Yggdrasil has been up and running since Friday afternoon, 55 hours and counting...  :)  ...with balanced cables driving my Ragnarok to new "lows"...I also elected to drive my Asgard 2 and Lyr amps with the Yggdrasil's unbalanced outputs, and due to space limitations had to stack both of Rag's little sibs on top of the Yggy...and when running the Asgard 2,(bottom of stack),  noticed that the case top of the Yggy became significantly warmer than when Asgard was not powered-up,...and I am wondering if I must elevate either of the "little" amps off the top of Yggy...
  Not sure if raising the temperature of the top of Yggy will cause warm-up problems, either because it is getting too warm, or simply because the generated temperature gradient due to the Asgard 2 not uniformly warming Yggy's top, or entire case for that matter...

Any thoughts...experience...?...

It is hard to speculate at this point about temperature, warm up, and sound quality.  I don't think anyone really knows other than it takes days for it to sound its best.  Maybe you can help out and run some experiments with a sandwiched Yggy versus in free space.  A general rule in electronics is for every 10 deg C temperature increase expectant life of a product is halved.  So I give my expensive equipment as much space as possible.   My Yggy is just barely warm to the touch and not the heat radiator imagined from early descriptions.  And heat rising so cool components on the bottom and hottest on top of a stack with space in between for ventilation.

May 11, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #7,206 of 9,484
Originally Posted by RoundRound

Can someone who owns a Yggy comment on what sounds better USB or Toslink?

Originally Posted by dglow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

USB.

I'm currently stuck on toslink since I can't get the USB driver to install on my Win 7 machine.  Tried lots of things (different USB cable, pretty much alll USB ports, uninstalling all USB drivers, including ones for hidden devices, deleting the driver store file linking drivers to devices, eventually reinstalling Win 7), still doesn't install.  So I'm left with: a) getting new machine...but I want to stick with foobar2000 on Win7, since that's how my music is organized.  I did try USB off my wife's MBP, but that lead to music catalog problems (and it is her machine), so I'd need to build a server and I don't want to pay thoses costs for something that isn't an adance on what I currently have if it worked (this machine runs all the time in my office anyway, so that limited fan noise it puts out won't go away), b) getting an AES/EBU output card.  I'm going -- surprise -- with option (b), getting the Lynx E22.   I can always return it...

Yes, USB sounds better than toslink.  Is it assured that AES/EBU is at least as good as USB.  I know Baldr thinks you should try it if you have it...I've not been not been above to figure out how clocks work over AES/EBU for Yggy. 

May 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #7,208 of 9,484
Yggy travel bag:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121644782738?nav=SEARCH

Does Papa Johns,sell a backpack for the car battery..??,you'll need to take with the Yiggy???

May 11, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #7,209 of 9,484
My Yggdrasil was off for at least an hour when they cut power to the building last Thursday for maintenance stuff.  I can confirm it goes back to square 1.  It takes about 72 hours for it to get back to sounding really good which was the same as first power up. Some more days from there to get to peak though I haven't had enough power on time to decide where the peak is yet.

Don't get me wrong, it's FAR from terrible on cold start but once you know what is coming you want it there as fast as possible!

May 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #7,211 of 9,484
I would use hair dryer to speed up the process,blow hot air into Yggy...... waiting one whole week becose power was out for hour,would set up small campfire near Yggy,grill some fat bacon before I get to hear the fat bass

May 11, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #7,214 of 9,484
  I'm currently stuck on toslink since I can't get the USB driver to install on my Win 7 machine.  Tried lots of things (different USB cable, pretty much alll USB ports, uninstalling all USB drivers, including ones for hidden devices, deleting the driver store file linking drivers to devices, eventually reinstalling Win 7), still doesn't install.  So I'm left with: a) getting new machine...but I want to stick with foobar2000 on Win7, since that's how my music is organized.  I did try USB off my wife's MBP, but that lead to music catalog problems (and it is her machine), so I'd need to build a server and I don't want to pay thoses costs for something that isn't an adance on what I currently have if it worked (this machine runs all the time in my office anyway, so that limited fan noise it puts out won't go away), b) getting an AES/EBU output card.  I'm going -- surprise -- with option (b), getting the Lynx E22.   I can always return it...

Yes, USB sounds better than toslink.  Is it assured that AES/EBU is at least as good as USB.  I know Baldr thinks you should try it if you have it...I've not been not been above to figure out how clocks work over AES/EBU for Yggy. 

I wonder if Baldr meant 'use AES if you have the option directly', as in the case of a CD transport. The skepticism he expressed around USB involved the convolution of packing PCM data into the USB protocol, only to then unpack it on the other end.

But for anybody with a SFF PC or laptop, AES output is likely achieved by routing over USB first... at which point you may as well just stick with it all way, no? The shortest, simplest path usually wins.

And putting my CompSci hat on, I'd like to challenge worries over 'repacking' data into another format for transmission. Speaking frankly: this concern is misplaced. Consider a PCIe-based AES/EBU output card, which would by design completely sidestep USB. Now recall: PCIe is a serial protocol... which means the PCM bitstream is being wrapped on one end of the bus, transmitted, then unwrapped on the other... much like USB.

Or take transmission over ethernet: pulling your lossless files off a NAS. Ethernet-based IP traffic consists of frames wrapped in frames wrapped in frames. Yet the data arrives, safe and sound. If computers couldn't do this reliably, in a bit-perfect manner, all our terabytes would be garbled junk.

My $.02,
D

May 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #7,215 of 9,484
Quote:johnjen
  I see…

And I agree it isn't "hocus-pocus!"

It's math…  
atsmile.gif

q (Cue)     Total Electrification       Plank         (Requires BOTH Ψ (psi) & Φ (phi) for electricity)
Ψ (psi)      Total Dielectrification    Coulomb   (Inner Space  (inside the wire) electrostatic)
Φ (phi)      Total Magnetization      Weber       (Outer Space  (outside the wire) magnetic)

q / Φ = Ψ (Coulomb) electrostatic field - (radial lines of force pulls together)            
q / Ψ = Φ (Weber) magnetic field - (concentric lines of force pushes 2 wires apart)        
Φ x Ψ = q (Plank)  Φ = outer space - magnetic  Ψ = inner space - electrostatic

q / Area  Density of Magnetic Induction  in cm2 
Ψ / Area  Density of Dielectric Induction  in cm2 
q / A2rea  Density of Electrification   in cm4 

Derivatives
q / Time = W (Joules)
Φ / Time = E (Volt)
Ψ / Time = I (Ampere)
q / T2ime  = P (Watts)

Some may not recognize the original equations that were postulated way back then.
And this is but a portion of the notes I took when investigating this.

It’s a fascinating story over all.

JJ

And.... when + and - meet without Ω there is sparks and blown fuses. Yep, them Coulombs and Joules pack a mean punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back