New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 5, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #6,811 of 9,484
The cardboard box packaging was exquisite, I think it really contributes to the Yggdrasil's heft and feel. Their dedicated deliveryman was definitely breaking a sweat as he struggled up the steps to hand-deliver the package. The double-box approach plays a large role in the low noise floor when you give the contents a good shaking, but ultimately it's a net negative as I'll touch upon later. The tape holding everything together was a little sticky, so you can imagine my frustration as my hair got attached to the box, multiple times. I have to dock some points off because the box didn't give clear instructions on how it should be opened, and I ended up having to buy a $15 kitchen knife to cleanly saw off one face of the box. Seriously if I'm going to pay this much money there should at least be an instructional video for unboxing. 

Once I was able to force my way past the first box, you can imagine my surprise as I spotted ANOTHER box inside. Truly innovative design. After another hour I was able to finally open the second box, and I was taken aback by the sheer beauty of what lay inside. Artisan-crafted foam is a clear indicator that no expense was spared. I removed the top layer of foam and some metal box holding everything down, and tossed those aside. It was then that I saw what I've been waiting for for months, the print edition of the DAC manual. The number printed on mine is #1, indicating a first edition run. The weight of all the packaging on top carefully preserved the manual's shape. I quickly put it inside a protective cover to minimize its exposure to the elements. At this point you're probably expecting some pictures but I'm fairly certain a camera flash is the last thing I want to use on this.

In short, Schiit has really outdone themselves here. Can anyone recommend an appropriate frame so I can hang my manual on the wall?

Great package great experience would buy again A+++

May 5, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #6,812 of 9,484
Currently at 124 hrs on my yggdrasil. I haven't experienced any magical transformation. But I also won't be spending any time waxing poetic or trying to describe my auditory experience. The next period of time will be totally immersed in the listening session, which is so involving as to incur time distortion and inability to multitask - no online activity during the session. Busy rediscovering music in the library.

May 5, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #6,813 of 9,484
  Currently at 124 hrs on my yggdrasil. I haven't experienced any magical transformation. But I also won't be spending any time waxing poetic or trying to describe my auditory experience. The next period of time will be totally immersed in the listening session, which is so involving as to incur time distortion and inability to multitask - no online activity during the session. Busy rediscovering music in the library.

Is your Aurlic DAC 4 sale yet?

JJ 
wink_face.gif

May 5, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #6,815 of 9,484

It does get complicated.  Some software HDCD decoders have been known to invert polarity.  One of these days I need to confirm if the software decoder I've used (CUETools) has inverted the polarity when decoding HDCD.  I suspect that it has.  I've been reluctant to confirm because it would mean I'd need to re-process all of my HDCD titles and I'd rather not do that.  So I'd rather not know.  Ignorance is bliss.  Unless you're OCD...

No, man – there's no need to reprocess anything. Just find a player that does this and tag your files...

May 5, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #6,816 of 9,484
  The experience of the 154-160 hours Yggdrasil on speakers is completely shattering. This is where a major change in sound occurred and I have never heard anything like this in my life on speakers. I have heard more than a few 6 digits rigs.

I can summarize I have experienced before:
- delta/sigma
- R2R
- and now the Yggdrasil

I will need some time to describe exactly what this thing is doing as it is not part of the normal audiophile vocabulary. It's not about technical prowess, although there is that in spades too. This is something else completely. It's smooth, it's unitary and it's analogic sounding, but there's more too. It's bloody impressive natural and realistic, while being understated at the same time.

Unfortunately with my headphones I think I am hitting a bit of a transducers limitation. The modded HD800s can't handle what my speakers can in terms of realism and effortlessness. Although they try to push the analytic side, it's a bit of a desperate effort. They sound a bit off and a bit of a struggle. The HE-6s do a bit a better at realism, but have some flaws of their own. My hopes lie with the HE1000s now. My upstream rig is exactly the same for both headphones and speakers.

P.S.: I almost hate to think how the Yggdrasil is going to be a victim of its own success. At this price, a lot of them will be sold as I simply don't see what else can even remotely compete. Some will understand it, some will hype it further and some will thrash it. And then all the upcoming rabid fans... Enjoy a moment of peace while you can folks.

YOU HAVE ARRIVED. NO ONE ELSE BELIEVED ME. BEYOND WORDS. NOTHING ABOUT THE DAC OR HOW IT SOUNDS MATTERS ANYMORE. MY WORK IS DONE. ONLY NEEDED ONE OTHER PERSON TO EXPERIENCE THIS.

May 5, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #6,817 of 9,484
Anyone know how the Rag pairs with the Gungnir? I love my m/g stack with the LCD-3c, but it can get a little aggressive up top even with the classic drivers. I want to upgrade at some point, but not sure if it should be amp or dac first. I have no way of knowing if its the gungnir or mjolnir causing the slightly harsh highs.

I was previously running my LCD-X with the Gungnir/Mjolnir stack, but the Mjolnir was thinning out the mids more than I liked. The forward, lean, and slightly bright character is part of the Mjolnir's signature. The Rag is significantly more neutral and has a more organic sounding signature with a touch of warmth. The Rag has a complete lack of any grain, treble etch, or shouty tendencies up top. Now there are some DACs that have a slightly rounder sound than the Gungnir, but the signature you're hearing now is 90% Mjolnir/10% Gungnir. The Rag pairs very well with the Gungnir and I think it'll move you in the direction you want.

May 5, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #6,818 of 9,484
this +1000. audio memory and the natural way our brains focus on different aspects on the music with every time we hit replay makes double checking first impressions critical for accurate impressions (imo).

edit: clarification, it is entirely possible to hear something significantly/emotionally different even when using the exact same equipment. there are times you notice details that you never noticed in the music previously while using the same components. sometimes a specific portion of the song moves us more one particular day. the point of going back and double checking or going back and comparing is to see how reproducible that specific effect is and whether it is due to a difference in equipment or just a difference caused by some other random factor.

Absolutely! When I am A/Bing I pick short passages that I am Very familiar with and don't trust my memory for more than a minute- with multiple repeats.
Sometimes there are clear differences- sometimes not. It is very easy when comparing speakers. Sometimes more challenging with amps- at least when they are above a certain level.
I've never compared DACs. For most I assume it's the analog part of the D/A making the most difference. The Yggy uses a scheme much different than the vast majority of DACs in the "D" part.
Does that translate to better reproduction?
I' don't know! I hope to have a chance

May 5, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #6,819 of 9,484
Purrin needs a new title for leading the audiophile masses to the " gods dac'. The title should be "saint purin the enlightener". :D. Thanks Purrin for the heads up on such a great dac.

May 6, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #6,821 of 9,484
Might I suggest a term or 2 or 3, that may apply here?

Imperative, as in the acoustic presence comands your attention?
Along with Compelling, as in the acoustic presence forces your attention to the music?

Together this combination describes a situation where the music sorta takes over and you aren't going anywhere, except be inside the music.

I have termed this as CNST (Central Nervous System Tap).
And yeah that may sound 'out there' to many, but I know of no other way to desrcibe what it's like to be 'in the music'.
It's not out there, it's all around you, as in, you are immersed within the music, or the music is within you, (thus the CNST label).

Be aware that when this happens it is HIGHLY 'addictive', as has already been mentioned.

Just be aware that you WILL find yourself looking at the clock and realizing it's 5am and you may have to go to work later that morning.

I have been waiting a long time to get back to this.
I never imagined that it would be so readily available to so many as well…!

This is gunna be so KEWL!

JJ 
atsmile.gif

ps. what happens when the music 'takes over' is a whole nuther topic…

May 6, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #6,822 of 9,484
Oh, snap, Bonnie Raitt never sounded so good....right in the middle of "thing called love" I realized I was hearing more layers than ever before.
basshead.gif

Might I suggest a term or 2 or 3, that may apply here?

Imperative, as in the acoustic presence comands your attention?
Along with Compelling, as in the acoustic presence forces your attention to the music?

Together this combination describes a situation where the music sorta takes over and you aren't going anywhere, except be inside the music.

I have termed this as CNST (Central Nervous System Tap).
And yeah that may sound 'out there' to many, but I know of no other way to desrcibe what it's like to be 'in the music'.
It's not out there, it's all around you, as in, you are immersed within the music, or the music is within you, (thus the CNST lable).

Be aware that when this happens it is HIGHLY 'addictive', as has already been mentioned.

Just be aware that you WILL find yourself looking at the clock and realizing it's 5am and you may have to go to work later that morning.

I have been waiting a long time to get back to this.
I never imagined that it would be so readily available to so many as well…!

This is gunna be so KEWL!

JJ 
atsmile.gif

ps. what happens when the music 'takes over' is a whole nuther topic…

May 6, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #6,823 of 9,484
  I agree with dglow.

@freddy1201 are you using an AU (such as an EQ) with Audirvana?  That can easily push the signal into clipping; especially if you add bass.

The solution is to reduce the output post filter by a few dB.  You can do this with another AU or some EQs such as Fabfilter have configurable post filter pan/gain.

my Gungnir+Lyr2 and Audirvana have the same clipping (bass hits only?) but only with some tracks such as Mogwai "Young Team" remastered.
the same settings and Audirvana do NOT clip/distort when using iFi micro iDSD DAC to iCan.
so it's certainly some matching (software to DAC) + volume issue?

the option of Software volume control (instead of DAC only) and drop by about -10dB did stop the clipping during big bass moments.
again tho- kills the bit perfect-ness.

so not sure what to do here except attempt some AU tweaks, or just leave it alone until more lossless tracks exhibit the clipping problem.
with Yggy on the way tho, would be good to hear other Audirvana users/settings.

May 6, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #6,824 of 9,484
my Gungnir+Lyr2 and Audirvana have the same clipping (bass hits only?) but only with some tracks such as Mogwai "Young Team" remastered.
the same settings and Audirvana do NOT clip/distort when using iFi micro iDSD DAC to iCan.
so it's certainly some matching (software to DAC) + volume issue?

the option of Software volume control (instead of DAC only) and drop by about -10dB did stop the clipping during big bass moments.
again tho- kills the bit perfect-ness.

so not sure what to do here except attempt some AU tweaks, or just leave it alone until more lossless tracks exhibit the clipping problem.
with Yggy on the way tho, would be good to hear other Audirvana users/settings.

I never ran into that problem when I was using my Gungnir with various versions of Audirvana and OSX.

Now using Audirvana Plus 2.09 with Mavericks with my Yggy, still with no problems.

FYI: I am running in iTunes Integrated Mode with Exclusive Access and Direct Modes engaged. Integer Mode is off. With no upsampling. Volume Control set to DAC only, Max level 100%. Use AU effects off.

May 6, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #6,825 of 9,484
  Oh, snap, Bonnie Raitt never sounded so good....right in the middle of "thing called love" I realized I was hearing more layers than ever before.
basshead.gif

I just listened to that very album earlier today.
I love her earthy expressive voice.

When those layers turn into distinct locations for each 'voice' (in 3d space), as in hearing a 'voice' just behind and to the right of a different voice, then you know you're REALLY close to being inside the music.

JJ  
atsmile.gif
  :thumb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back