New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 26, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #6,001 of 9,484

The mp3/cd comparison mastering was the same, i'm not sure for the cd/24/88 comparison.

Thanks. Most of my songs are redbook, but I do have some 256k iTunes that I'm sure the Yggy would slaughter.  Bifrost doesn't really reveal any difference to my ears.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #6,003 of 9,484
This schiit is getting ridiculous. The imaging is ******* ridiculous. I don't even know how to describe what i'm hearing. Holy schiit guys.

Edit: Want to add that the greatest thing about the Yggy is how let down I felt when I first heard it cold. It was terribly unexciting and nothing stood out as particularly excellent, especially considering the hype. But now that it has about 33ish hours on it, just wow. It's much easier to appreciate how excellent this is with the context of how blah that music can sound, which it provides at first listen when "cold". Really sucks that it takes time to get to this state and you have to keep it there, but if this was it's limit and it can't evolve any further I'm never turning it off. I am completely content with what I'm hearing as of this moment.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #6,004 of 9,484
  This schiit is getting ridiculous. The imaging is ******* ridiculous. I don't even know how to describe what i'm hearing. Holy schiit guys.

How long has it been on?
How are you feeding it?
What's your amplification device?
What cans are you using?
More info please.
I mean Schiit, details.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #6,005 of 9,484

How long has it been on?
How are you feeding it?
What's your amplification device?
What cans are you using?
More info please.
I mean Schiit, details.

Rag + Kef LS50's + HSU VTF-2 MK4, using usb. Also just turned off the sub for a moment thinking it was largely responsible for changes i'm hearing, as i've been adjusting it's levels since introducing the yggy. Nope. The ls50's suddenly hit very hard and sound extraordinary. 

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #6,007 of 9,484
Uh oh

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #6,008 of 9,484
Just checked optical, which sounds fine. Guess something broke for the usb gen 3? I try messing with some other stuff.

Edit: Restarting my computer did the trick. Guess the gen 3 driver is still a little rough. I'm really happy I won't be crying myself to sleep right now. 

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #6,009 of 9,484
Really looking forward to reading some impressions from some avid tube rollers who've tried some holy grail tubes... eg. how does the imaging/spatial detailing stack up to a pair of Siemens CCa tubes? 

Gah, may just need to spend the very large chunk of change myself... everything is so subjective with music (to a point, I suppose).

popcorn.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #6,010 of 9,484
Just checked optical, which sounds fine. Guess something broke for the usb gen 3? I try messing with some other stuff.

Edit: Restarting my computer did the trick. Guess the gen 3 driver is still a little rough. I'm really happy I won't be crying myself to sleep right now. 

Windoze...
:p

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #6,011 of 9,484
The Yggdrasil has arrived. Time for intense warm-up + burn-in!

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #6,012 of 9,484
  Hey,

Anyone here have an ECP L2, Ragnarok and HD800?

Im looking for a quick comparison, im currently looking for an amp to drive the HD800 exclusively. An L2, came up and im likely to purchase that. However im also curious about the ragnarok for driving the HD800, but its impossible for me to demo that.. 

Jon

Here is a good comparison between the ECP Black Diamond, GSX MK2 and Rag. Not sure how much the Black Diamond differs from the L2 though..

Rag comes out on top for the reviewer.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740568/top-shelf-solid-state-with-hd800s

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #6,013 of 9,484
Anyone here have an ECP L2, Ragnarok and HD800?

Im looking for a quick comparison, im currently looking for an amp to drive the HD800 exclusively. An L2, came up and im likely to purchase that. However im also curious about the ragnarok for driving the HD800, but its impossible for me to demo that.. 

Jon

That L2 is a total steal!  I don't know anyone who had/has both L2 and Rag, but misterrogers had both a Mainline and Rag, and Mainline is a very similar highly regulated, single gain stage, constant current loaded 6c45pi parafeed tube amp.  You might shoot him a PM.  Both were based on a statement amp the guys at bottlehead put together 10 or so years back.  Mainline is sublime with hd800's, and I would expect nothing less from the L2. 

Here is a good comparison between and ECP black diamond, GSX MK2 and Rag. Not sure how much the black diamond differs from the L2.

Black diamond is a very cool amp in its own right but couldn't be more different in design.  It is a step-up transformer design, where as L2 is a parafeed tube amp.

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #6,014 of 9,484
  The Yggdrasil has arrived. Time for intense warm-up + burn-in!

Nothing special on turn up - but doesn't sound like schiit as the previous versions reportedly were.

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #6,015 of 9,484
I dont really care that BNC is technically superior to RCA coax as neither of my Redbook CD sources has a BNC output, and I dont care about the whole 'genuine 75-ohm connector' debate, but I am impressed that Schiit have given Yggdrasil owners the option of using BNC on a DAC costing a fraction of the asking price of most who currently have this input option. 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/digital-analogue-converter-w-bnc-inputs-9231/

Of course, if I owned either of the current BDP offerings from Bryston I would care very much, as would owners of PCs equipped with Musiland's Digital Times soundcard. It's probably nth degree obsessive stuff, but its ironic that my last encounter with BNC connectors was hooking dumb terminals to servers way back in the 80s - you can imagine my surprise when I found out how highly prized this connector is in the $$$ world of high-end audio. 

Oooooh no!! I only have lowly XLR and RCA outputs on my Oppo BDP-105D!!
But I'm in line for Ragnarok when they get all the parts. I went a bit overboard on equipment this year. Oppo, Rane DEQ60L, HiFIMan HE-560, Lyr and several sets of various Holy Grail tubes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back