New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 26, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,876 of 9,483

I'm conflicted - really want to use Rag to replace a decade-old Musical Fidelity int to drive my speakers. But that would put it way out of reach when I'm headphoning. Currently the Mjolnir is right by the couch where the volume knob is within reach, but of course that's so far from right between the speakers. A remote volume control would solve the placement dilemma, but Jason won't oblige me on that (or a balance control, grumble grumble.) So maybe longer speaker wires? I forsee a lot of equipment reshuffling in my future. 

As for the tubed version of Rag, that's on-again-off-again. Maybe someone can corral Jason at THEShow Newport Beach this weekend and get the latest. But don't hold your breath.

May 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,878 of 9,483
Longer speaker cable or this (FCC approved):

MVC-017S1.JPG

May 26, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #1,879 of 9,483
Or something like this...
http://www.amazon.com/The-Nifty-Nabber-Claw-Grabber/dp/B000LDF50Q
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEasy-Grabber-and-Retriever-PF0401/202505170

biggrin.gif

May 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,880 of 9,483
May 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #1,882 of 9,483
May 26, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,883 of 9,483
Since we're on the subject, what about using a source with volume control like the Oppo 105? Does this negatively effect SQ that much, as say, changing the volume on a computer?

May 27, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #1,886 of 9,483
  I think the Ragnarok's volume control will probably be better, so you should put max volume on the 105 and adjust on the Rag for optimal SQ.

Depends.

I don't know how the oppo works internally but all the sabre dacs have extremely good volume control built into the chip, that's how nearly all the sabre dacs are able to also be preamps in high-end rigs without using a pre-amp.

May 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,887 of 9,483

eugenius, Armaegis, TwoEars - you guys are awesome! Thanks for the tips, and the grins.

I actually have one of those little flexible claw thingies - saved me grief more than once when I dropped a nut down a carburetor or suchlike - but too short and anyway the claws would scratch up that nice chrome volume knob.

But you've got me thinking - what would Rube Goldberg do? Or Dr. Emmett Brown? Or Jesse James? Or Adam and Jamie? Scratch them, they'd just blow up the house...

Maybe by the time Jason actually unleashes the Rag, I'll have a solution.

May 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,888 of 9,483
  I actually have one of those little flexible claw thingies - saved me grief more than once when I dropped a nut down a carburetor or suchlike - but too short and anyway the claws would scratch up that nice chrome volume knob.

Just wrap some thick elastic bands (and/or painter's tape?) around the knob...
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,889 of 9,483

M7 uses end of production PCM1704UK chips, I doubt any other manufacturer would start a new design with these chips given the unreliable supply and ever increasing price.

In terms of performance level, I don't think it's worth comparing as Master 7 will have a different sound to most modern DAC's, save for a few using R2R vintage DAC chips.

I personally feel the R2R chips have limited niche appeal, they are not hifi sound like Sabre or other sigma delta.

Considering that Jason has said that the Ygg will be an R2R ladder DAC, I think that the Ygg will compare better sonically with the M7 than with the Sabre or other SDM chip 'modern' DAC.  What I think will be the main discriminator between the Ygg and the M7, ± power conditioning, is the 18K+ filter taps the Ygg will employ.  That is some liquid analog output, if you've ever had the occasion to hear a Chord DAC product.  I just wisht the Ygg would offer I2S input to eliminate any clocking jitter considerations from the equation.  And on that score I'm actually hopeful, considering how much Mike ostensively hates USB and other forms of potential digital input signal degradation. Altho the Ygg's design and capability has probably been frozen for over a year now...

May 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,890 of 9,483
I have recently been in touch concerning my hum-afflicted Lyr. In an exchange of e-mails, during which I enquired about the rumours concerning a Lyr 2, I received a message beginning "We don’t discuss upcoming products, I’m afraid." I suppose that means that the Rag and Ygg are, in some way, not upcoming, then?
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back