New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 11, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #7,231 of 9,484
  And.... when + and - meet without Ω there is sparks and blown fuses. Yep, them Coulombs and Joules pack a mean punch.

You wanna see sparks and electrical mahem?

Try a phase to phase short.
Or better yet in the 'old days' when they would open a breaker and the resulting arcs would blow up the entire substation.

WAY TOO MUCH FUN!  
atsmile.gif

JJ

May 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #7,232 of 9,484
So have you A/B-ed the M7 and the Yggy? And the step up to the Yggy is that dramatic?

Even with 110 hrs the improvement in sound over the Master 7 driven by Off Ramp 5 HDMI I2S is no contest.   In comparison the Master 7 sounds bloated in the lower mid-range down while the Yggy is neutral top to bottom.  The Master 7 has the illusion of a wide sound field but very flat and not really all that much in the middle.  The Yggy imaging with speakers is unreal as it paints a 3D sound picture in front of your speakers where you can pick out anything in the mix.  I haven't heard anything like that since I spinning vinyl in the 1970s.  Plus the Master 7 has a little grain in the vocals and touch hissy on sibilance.  The Yggy is clear as driven snow in comparison and handles source sibilance much better.

The Master 7 has its own "sound" and reminds me I am listening to a DAC while the Yggy disappears.  It is not fully broken in but the Yggy is already the best audio upgrade I have ever made going back 40 years.   It sounds like a have a totally new sound system with better components everywhere.  Remarkable achievement for the price. 

May 11, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #7,233 of 9,484

As to getting cables off the floor, I always understood it was static electricity generated by artificial fiber carpets that caused issues. Since I have wood floors and wool carpets, I let the cables fall where they may.

With 200+ hours, Ygg does sound better than ever - with some recordings. Others don't deliver the shivers I was hoping for. I blame this not on Ygg, but on the sources. Even more than Gungnir, this is a WikiLeaks DAC - it reveals everything even when that's not such a good idea. Subpar recordings are ruthlessly exposed. I'm thinking that the true cost of Ygg isn't $2300, but the tariffs for high-res downloads, improved cabling, a UPS.... 

May 11, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #7,234 of 9,484

Even with 110 hrs the improvement in sound over the Master 7 driven by Off Ramp 5 HDMI I2S is no contest.   In comparison the Master 7 sounds bloated in the lower mid-range down while the Yggy is neutral top to bottom.  The Master 7 has the illusion of a wide sound field but very flat and not really all that much in the middle.  The Yggy imaging with speakers is unreal as it paints a 3D sound picture in front of your speakers where you can pick out anything in the mix.  I haven't heard anything like that since I spinning vinyl in the 1970s.  Plus the Master 7 has a little grain in the vocals and touch hissy on sibilance.  The Yggy is clear as driven snow in comparison and handles source sibilance much better.

The Master 7 has its own "sound" and reminds me I am listening to a DAC while the Yggy disappears.  It is not fully broken in but the Yggy is already the best audio upgrade I have ever made going back 40 years.   It sounds like a have a totally new sound system with better components everywhere.  Remarkable achievement for the price. 

Excellent post ,DacLadder,and you still have about 60-70 hours to go-no???

May 11, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #7,235 of 9,484

Wow. I may need to order one if that's the case!

May 11, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #7,236 of 9,484

As to getting cables off the floor, I always understood it was static electricity generated by artificial fiber carpets that caused issues. Since I have wood floors and wool carpets, I let the cables fall where they may.

With 200+ hours, Ygg does sound better than ever - with some recordings. Others don't deliver the shivers I was hoping for. I blame this not on Ygg, but on the sources. Even more than Gungnir, this is a WikiLeaks DAC - it reveals everything even when that's not such a good idea. Subpar recordings are ruthlessly exposed. I'm thinking that the true cost of Ygg isn't $2300, but the tariffs for high-res downloads, improved cabling, a UPS.... 

I have had the same experience, I sit and wonder What the producers and engineers were doing in the studio! At the same time, some recordings I have that are less-than-stellar have become very listenable despite their limitations. It takes a special DAC to create these kinds of listening results, and Yggy is special indeed.

On well-recorded material Yggy goes away and leaves pure music in it's wake.

May 11, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #7,237 of 9,484
Regarding the dearth of detailed interviews:

It is very hard to put what you experience with the Yggy into words. You stop thinking about the different arbitrary characteristics we have made up to describe sound. It just sounds like music. When you go to a concert, you never think to yourself "this violin is too detailed" or "this piano is too warm". It just sounds like music. This is what people are talking about when they say the DAC just disappears. It's very hard to explain unless you experience it yourself.

May 11, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #7,238 of 9,484
Hi folks - thanks for all the great reviews and updates. I am very much looking forward to getting mine. I have a couple of questions -

1. Any updates on the latest order numbers to ship? I am in the "late June" group - having just missed the "in stock group" as I had to move money to PayPal to hide from the wife :). My order number is in the 312XX range. Also the site has said late June for quite some time. I would think by now the delays would be longer. Hoping late June turns into early June for me!!

2. Has anyone messed with different power cords and heard a difference? 

3. Same question for USB cables?

Thanks in advance!!

May 11, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #7,239 of 9,484
I find myself re-listening to every album I have to see if it was recorded well or not and to re-experience them. have found a few that blew me away and a few that were very disappointing (TMI).  I am really liking comparing the HD800 to the Stax009...
biggrin.gif
 Really looking forward to getting the BHSE in to compare SS to tube on the 009's and the liquid carbon to compare SS to tube on the HD800.

oh and about 280 power on hours and 90 music playing hours on so far.

May 11, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #7,240 of 9,484
  Regarding the dearth of detailed interviews:

It is very hard to put what you experience with the Yggy into words. You stop thinking about the different arbitrary characteristics we have made up to describe sound. It just sounds like music. When you go to a concert, you never think to yourself "this violin is too detailed" or "this piano is too warm". It just sounds like music. This is what people are talking about when they say the DAC just disappears. It's very hard to explain unless you experience it yourself.

I know what you mean about concerts, but still in many concerts I wonder "what the heck is the mixer thinking?" or "these acoustics suck"

May 11, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #7,241 of 9,484

I know what you mean about concerts, but still in many concerts I wonder "what the heck is the mixer thinking?" or "these acoustics suck"

Uh oh, I have a few albums that I can pick out poor mixing on with my Magni/Modi, so long as the room is quiet. I may have to start looking for different versions of some of em, since I like a lot of older rock which is kinda tossed about in the original CDs rips I have of them. Just 'cause of Yggdrasil, there'll be a resurgence of good sound engineers, yes? :p

May 11, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #7,243 of 9,484

Just 'cause of Yggdrasil, there'll be a resurgence of good sound engineers, yes? :p

I won't be holding my breath. The vast majority of them seem to be tuning their mixes to Ipods and Beats.

May 11, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #7,244 of 9,484
  I find myself re-listening to every album I have to see if it was recorded well or not and to re-experience them. have found a few that blew me away and a few that were very disappointing (TMI).  I am really liking comparing the HD800 to the Stax009...
biggrin.gif
 Really looking forward to getting the BHSE in to compare SS to tube on the 009's and the liquid carbon to compare SS to tube on the HD800.

oh and about 280 power on hours and 90 music playing hours on so far.

Do you feel ,that your recent recorded albums,are sounding better ,than some that go back 5-10 years?

I don't have my Yiggy yet,but I do have the 009's & a KGST amp,....,recently, I have found ,that about 75% of most current CD's sound a lot better then some of the older cd's

also,if you had to choose between the 009,and the Hd800,for most of your music,which one would you prefer? ,or,do you listen to certain music,with the 009's,and other music with the HD800
Reason why I ask,is,I came very close to buying a used pair of HD800,the other day...,which I,used to have ,..many years ago,and I miss that SQ.

Any input/thoughts will be appreciated

Mike

May 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #7,245 of 9,484

Even with 110 hrs the improvement in sound over the Master 7 driven by Off Ramp 5 HDMI I2S is no contest...

Thanks for your observations. I was curious what they would be as we both used M7 with the OR5 with your HDMI board for quite a while. Your observations are exactly as mine. Just give Yggy another 50 hours...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back