NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Mar 17, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #1,621 of 2,168
Hey guys, I've recently bought Lyr2 with stock Canadian tubes. They're pretty nice and balanced but I'm looking for some tubes that have smooth treble and powerful bass. Can anyone recommend me either some cheap and expensive tubes that have this kind of signature? Thanks!

There is a tube rolling thread for the Lyr/Lyr2 that you might want to check out.

For me, 74-75 Reflectors, Amperex PQ or Orange Globe, Telefunken CCa, Vokshods

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #1,623 of 2,168
Or the regular Ether?  I have a Lyr 2 incoming, looking for suggestions on tubes

The best I have heard my Lyr2 run my ETHER, is using my NOS Telefunken E88CC Platinum tubes. These tubes are very musical as well as very revealing. I also liked how the Lyr2 sounded with current production tubes Genalex Gold Lions. The Gold Lions really have good bass that do not leak into the midds. Good luck, I hope your Lyr2 puts a big old smile on your face.

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #1,624 of 2,168
The best I have heard my Lyr2 run my ETHER, is using my NOS Telefunken E88CC Platinum tubes. These tubes are very musical as well as very revealing. I also liked how the Lyr2 sounded with current production tubes Genalex Gold Lions. The Gold Lions really have good bass that do not leak into the midds. Good luck, I hope your Lyr2 puts a big old smile on your face.

How would you compare Lyr2 with your best tubes to Cavalli amps?

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,625 of 2,168
How would you compare Lyr2 with your best tubes to Cavalli amps?

That is a tough question, I only use balanced headphones with Cavalli amps. I would say the Lyr2, with the best tubes could compete with the Liquid Carbon.. But to my ears Cavalli house sound is different than the Schiit Audio's house sound.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #1,626 of 2,168
  Or the regular Ether?  I have a Lyr 2 incoming, looking for suggestions on tubes

I was looking for some E188CC Dario Miniwatts, but lucked into a good deal for '75 Reflektor silver shields (HGs), so that's what I'm using with my Ether C at the moment. Some say the HGs are too revealing. I don't think so at all, at least my pair. Sounds good to me. Still burning in my C.

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,627 of 2,168
Delete, wrong thread.

May 7, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #1,629 of 2,168
Hey guys, I've recently bought Lyr2 with stock Canadian tubes. They're pretty nice and balanced but I'm looking for some tubes that have smooth treble and powerful bass. Can anyone recommend me either some cheap and expensive tubes that have this kind of signature? Thanks!

The Telefunken Um 60s do that but I think it may depend on your headphones! I think they make my HD650's bass too bloomy but otherwise, it's pleasent!

May 10, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #1,630 of 2,168
So I have a Lyr 2 and Bifrost Uber combo, but thinking about trying out balanced connections with the Mjolnir. Would the Bifrost be a good companion for the Schiit Mjolnir. I'd rather not upgrade the DAC yet. Granted a concern is the difference sizes--they wont stack up very well. 

May 13, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #1,632 of 2,168
Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these Lyr 2's... however I'm worried that a 3 is around the corner? Should I hold off? I haven't really seen any information regarding any of the upcoming Schiit lineups.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #1,633 of 2,168
  Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these Lyr 2's... however I'm worried that a 3 is around the corner? Should I hold off? I haven't really seen any information regarding any of the upcoming Schiit lineups.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

You can check the link for new products being introduced this year, but concerning the current models, Jason has this to say:
"None of the new products will have a “3” on them, however.  Just in case you’re thinking of one of our “2” series products. Like I said before, it is very hard to improve on the “2” series products without radical changes—in effect, making them different products."

Full post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/10455#post_12520714

May 14, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #1,635 of 2,168

You can check the link for new products being introduced this year, but concerning the current models, Jason has this to say:
"None of the new products will have a “3” on them, however.  Just in case you’re thinking of one of our “2” series products. Like I said before, it is very hard to improve on the “2” series products without radical changes—in effect, making them different products."

Full post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/10455#post_12520714

I appreciate the rather quick response. I've been looking through that thread and didn't come across that portion... but unfortunately didn't make my decision any easier.
tongue.gif
 Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back