NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Apr 3, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #961 of 2,168
Hah ha! Well I do have a few portable CD players from previous decades that might make good skeet shooting items...
Now I'm curious to hear how the built in DACs sound. I'm guessing "strident with grainy treble." On the other hand my first CD player the Kyocera DA-1 sounded smooth and silky. It was Many years before I found a good replacement!
quote name="rb2013" url="/t/721542/new-schiit-lyr-2-impressions/945#post_11473793"]

Reminds me of that scene from 'Blackhawk Down'
[/quote]

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #962 of 2,168

Howdy,

I've been burning in tubes for the last few weeks, solid, and I'm looking to elevate my Lyr 2 to allow at least an inch of cooling clearance underneath it. 

Can anyone recommend some decent isolating feet that don't cost a mint? Because buying my tube collection has hit my coin purse plenty hard. 

Any help is appreciated!

You could use these Vibrapod cones - they're $8 each.  I use them on some of my equipment.  The Lyr may side around a little on the metal tops, but a little blue tack could solve that.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VBCONE&gclid=CjwKEAjw9PioBRDdpqy0-ofG3DgSJAACe5NEgfIqN2gVB62g3xIh44kWk7KH0W3gd4HeHvSUN7VKDhoCe4Hw_wcB

These too:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGPICO

Thanks, Bob! I'll look into these.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #963 of 2,168

D'oh! I went back a couple of pages and realized that you guys had been discussing feet options. My apologies for rehashing the question.

In the meantime, I've looked around quite a bit for feet alternatives and the two options Bob has recommended, the Vibrapod cones and the Pico Sorbothane feet, both seem like good ones.

But regarding anything made of Sorbothane, can this material take the substantial heat that the Lyr 2 case puts out? As we know, that sucker gets downright toasty! I was just wondering if Sorbothane is heat-resistant or if it might off-gas after extended contact with the hot box.

The Vibrapod cone design would pretty much avoid this issue altogether, considering that its steel ball bearing would be in contact with the case. However, the potential (inevitability?) of the amp's slipping around would be annoying. So, would Blue Stick be able to take the heat and keep the amp situated on the ball bearings? I've never used the stuff, myself.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #964 of 2,168

Spec sheet for Sorbothane shows an optimal temperature maximum of 150F and fair performance up to 200F. Should be no problem with even the hottest Lyr 2 which I can hold my hand on making it around 150F at the most.

The adhesive may not do as well. Non adhesive pads and a drop of RTV silicone would be the best bet to attach them if you're concerned about any off gassing or slippage from heating the adhesive.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #965 of 2,168

D'oh! I went back a couple of pages and realized that you guys had been discussing feet options. My apologies for rehashing the question.

In the meantime, I've looked around quite a bit for feet alternatives and the two options Bob has recommended, the Vibrapod cones and the Pico Sorbothane feet, both seem like good ones.

But regarding anything made of Sorbothane, can this material take the substantial heat that the Lyr 2 case puts out? As we know, that sucker gets downright toasty! I was just wondering if Sorbothane is heat-resistant or if it might off-gas after extended contact with the hot box.

The Vibrapod cone design would pretty much avoid this issue altogether, considering that its steel ball bearing would be in contact with the case. However, the potential (inevitability?) of the amp's slipping around would be annoying. So, would Blue Stick be able to take the heat and keep the amp situated on the ball bearings? I've never used the stuff, myself.

Another option and what I did with my Stillpoint raisers - I took the Lyr rubber pads off and glued them on top of the risers (just a tiny bit of glue).  They don't budge and the Lyr doesn't slip.  You could do the same for the Vibra's

Also found the dealer on the Symbio P-1 -they are $87 for a set of three - I sent him a message to see if he will ship to the US and how much shipping would be.  These have a nice flat top like the Stillpoints, so with the Lyr pads on top perfect and stable.
http://hificable.dk/produkter/6-diverse-tilbehoer/145-wm-audio-symbio-p-1/

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #966 of 2,168
Sorbothane - I have had inexpensive Sorbothane feet on my Lyr mk. 1 for a few months without problems.

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #967 of 2,168
  Another option and what I did with my Stillpoint raisers - I took the Lyr rubber pads off and glued them on top of the risers (just a tiny bit of glue).  They don't budge and the Lyr doesn't slip.  You could do the same for the Vibra's

Also found the dealer on the Symbio P-1 -they are $87 for a set of three - I sent him a message to see if he will ship to the US and how much shipping would be.  These have a nice flat top like the Stillpoints, so with the Lyr pads on top perfect and stable.
http://hificable.dk/produkter/6-diverse-tilbehoer/145-wm-audio-symbio-p-1/

Thanks, Bob. I like the Vibras and gluing the Lyr feet to the ball bearing sounds like a good solution.

Quote:
Sorbothane - I have had inexpensive Sorbothane feet on my Lyr mk. 1 for a few months without problems.

That's good to know. Sorbothane feet are simple, inexpensive fixes. Thanks for the info!

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #968 of 2,168
Hi Forum

I currently own the NFB11 & NFB15, and the Q701 & K712 Pro.

I would like to try out tube amping and am looking at either the Lyr 2 or the Project Ember to pair with the above equipment.

From going through the forums it would appear that both the Lyr 2 and the Project Ember are really good hybrids that work wonders for both the Q701s and the K712s.

On first glance, the Project Ember seems a very attractive option:

– The Project Ember (including UK shipping) works out about £100 cheaper than the Lyr 2
– The Project Ember only needs 1 tube as opposed to 2 tubes, and the tube is really easy to change 
– The Project Ember is said to match wonderfully with Qs and the Ks, with the appropriate tube

However, I am not just interested in functionality or the price; I am interested in sound quality. One thing I noticed was that the Project Ember is not an A Class amp, whereas the Schiit Lyr 2 is one – I was therefore wondering whether the Lyr 2's A Class status makes it better somehow than the Project Ember's non- A Class status, and if so, then how exactly?

There is also the point that the Lyr 2 uses two tubes, whereas Project Ember only uses one. I was wondering therefore what were the pros and cons of one tube hybrids vs two tube hybrids?

Clearly, I can see that the Project Ember would be the cheaper option down the line once I start tube rolling, since only a single tube would be required. However, would only having one tube as opposed to two affect the sound in some way? If it does, would someone please be able to explain to me how?

Thanks for reading my ramblings and I hope someone can help!

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #970 of 2,168
Hi Boogirl
As I understand it the single tube units use the tube as a "buffer" to give a "tube sound" whereas the dual tube amps like the Lyr are real tube preamps. The Lyr is class A and sounds great. Not sure about the Project Ember.
Also I could get no one to say that the Lyr2 sounded better than the Lyr. So I ended up with a B stock Lyr for $100 USD less than Lyr2. Lyr2 has selectable gain which makes it good for ear buds, whereas the Lyr does not. For me that was not interesting so I kept the Lyr. The Lyr and Lyr2 put out 6 watts RMS that can drive nearly any headphone to its fullest potential. Hope that helps.
If anyone wants to chime in on single vs double tubes and correct me if I'm wrong I am willing to be educated! :)
quote name="Boogirl" url="/t/721542/new-schiit-lyr-2-impressions/960#post_11479737"]Hi Forum

I would like to try out tube amping and am looking at either the Lyr 2 or the Project Ember to pair with the above equipment.

From going through the forums it would appear that both the Lyr 2 and the Project Ember are really good hybrids that work wonders for both the Q701s and the K712s.

– The Project Ember (including UK shipping) works out about £100 cheaper than the Lyr 2
– The Project Ember only needs 1 tube as opposed to 2 tubes, and the tube is really easy to change 
– The Project Ember is said to match wonderfully with Qs and the Ks, with the appropriate tube

However, I am not just interested in functionality or the price; I am interested in sound quality. One thing I noticed was that the Project Ember is not an A Class amp, whereas the Schiit Lyr 2 is one – I was therefore wondering whether the Lyr 2's A Class status makes it better somehow than the Project Ember's non- A Class status, and if so, then how exactly?

There is also the point that the Lyr 2 uses two tubes, whereas Project Ember only uses one. I was wondering therefore what were the pros and cons of one tube hybrids vs two tube hybrids?

Clearly, I can see that the Project Ember would be the cheaper option down the line once I start tube rolling, since only a single tube would be required. However, would only having one tube as opposed to two affect the sound in some way? If it does, would someone please be able to explain to me how?

[/quote]
I am belatedly editing my post!:) I am deeply embarrassed, As I sat in that restaurant typing away-I thought about explaining that it is Class A for most Headphones-but transitions to Class A/B on dynamic peaks. Then I got distracted and failed to edit my post. I think it was my hamburger arriving. Thanks to Money4me! I assume that with my HiFiMan HE-560 it is transitioning to A/B but I can't hear it.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #971 of 2,168
I forgot to add that I find the tubes very easy to change
quote name="Exacoustatowner" url="/t/721542/new-schiit-lyr-2-impressions/960#post_11479791"]Hi Boogirl
As I understand it the single tube units use the tube as a "buffer" to give a "tube sound" whereas the dual tube amps like the Lyr are real tube preamps. The Lyr is class A and sounds great. Not sure about the Project Ember.
Also I could get no one to say that the Lyr2 sounded better than the Lyr. So I ended up with a B stock Lyr for $100 USD less than Lyr2. Lyr2 has selectable gain which makes it good for ear buds, whereas the Lyr does not. For me that was not interesting so I kept the Lyr. The Lyr and Lyr2 put out 6 watts RMS that can drive nearly any headphone to its fullest potential. Hope that helps.
If anyone wants to chime in on single vs double tubes and correct me if I'm wrong I am willing to be educated! :)
quote name="Boogirl" url="/t/721542/new-schiit-lyr-2-impressions/960#post_11479737"]Hi Forum

[/quote][/quote]

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #972 of 2,168
  Hi Forum

Probably not a surprise, but most folks on this thread will probably vote for the Lyr 2 as the better choice for a tube amp. It sounds fantastic, the price is amazing given its sound and tube-altering versatility. It's just a great amp.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #973 of 2,168
Probably not a surprise, but most folks on this thread will probably vote for the Lyr 2 as the better choice for a tube amp. It sounds fantastic, the price is amazing given its sound and tube-altering versatility. It's just a great amp.
It really sounds great! Had it for less than a month and I'm already rolling

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #974 of 2,168
Yeah, as I said elsewhere, AKG K7xx basically fornicates with the Lyr. The pairing is ridiculously good. I have actually shed a tear or two with this pairing. I do not know about Ember though as it also sounds like a great amp. I personally do not like the Lyr that much with my Senns; it's not bad but nothing special. Still looking into an OTL for those high Z cans. Lyr is also excellent for planars.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #975 of 2,168
Yeah, as I said elsewhere, AKG K7xx basically fornicates with the Lyr. The pairing is ridiculously good. I have actually shed a tear or two with this pairing. I do not know about Ember though as it also sounds like a great amp. I personally do not like the Lyr that much with my Senns; it's not bad but nothing special. Still looking into an OTL for those high Z cans. Lyr is also excellent for planars.

It is fantastic with my 42 Ohm HiFIMan HE-560 (planar) and my old hybrid dynamic electrostatic AKG 340's- although the HiFIMan is the better of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back