NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Mar 29, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #946 of 2,168
  my Schiity equipment uses BrightStar Isonode anti vibration feet.
or the larger Pangea feet if not stacking.

I just checked them out, they look interesting. Did you get the basic one (30 lbs) or the middle one (60 lbs)? What is it that you like the most about these rubber feet?

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #947 of 2,168
Igot the basic Pangea, certainly are large enough for BiFrost sized chassis.

the material of these (and isoNode) have some "give" to them, a tad more soft.
and the rubber material "sticks" well to a warmed up unit, without resorting to glue/tape material on them also.
yes easily removable with no residue.

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #948 of 2,168
Rb
I knew I'd read that. I warmed up my Lyr for about an hour-put on Rachmaninoff Symphony # 2 Telarc- Andre Previn-Not at ALL impressed with the sound. Assumed it was a bad mastering job. Read reviews saying it sounds great. After a few more hours I went back and played it again. Much smoother violins (had been a bit edgy).
Quote:

I run mine 24/7 - have been for yrs - unless I'm out of town.  I feel it sounds best with a day's warm up.  It has to do with the class A Mosfet outputs - that need to be at max temperature to sound optimal.  That's the way they are designed (I have some other class A amps that are the same).  Schiit designed the Lyr/Lyr2 to use the case as a heat sink - unique as far I'm aware for a class A amp.  That's why the case and vol knob get warm.  Best to use some kind of footer underneath to raise the Lyr a bit higher for good airflow.  I use Stillpoint mini risers - that also act to damping ambient vibrations from reaching the amp.

You are right in that the run time will effect the life of the tubes - I look at it as just the cost of ownership.  I suppose you could run a cheap backup pair (stock) and swap before a long listening session.  The tubes themselves heat up pretty quick - 10 mins.

PS These Symbio P-1s look pretty 'cool' - I have

not tried them

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #949 of 2,168

Well, just got the Bifrost Uber and Lyr2 for my Grado RS2i. I had a beautiful Ernestolone Carot 1 before, running optical into the DAC section.  The Schiit gear is widely superior. The solid dimensionality, tonal accuracy as well as beauty, the sense of space, groove, pace, all show how each recording is a completely unique experience.  The bass manages to be both fat and toned, if that makes any sense - great depth and control for "a tube amp", if any such distinction means anything anymore.  The guys at Grado told me personally that Schiit gear is what they all use and test their equipment on, personally and in manufacturing, so that tells you something. But I have been unable to pay attention to much else since I hooked the system up, it is so pleasurable. Sounds a little excessive, huh? Its just that this is pretty much the ideal sound I've aimed for in all my years in hi-end audio - nothing has come closer.  This must also be taken as an endorsement of the Bifrost Uber - if anyone out there still believes that bits are just bits, well, this suggests that nothing I ever heard before got the bits right until now.  Now, I can't wait to step up to the Grado Statements or Professional series cans.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #950 of 2,168
Is switching out headphones while the Lyr is on a bad idea?

I'm doing a lot of comparisons with several of the Audeze cans atm and I find it difficult to wait a minute after turning it off to turn it back on (Schiit advised me to give it a minute after turning it off before switching it back on again). It's rather difficult to work "from memory" when comparing cans that all have fairly close sound signatures.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #951 of 2,168

I'm doing a lot of comparisons with several of the Audeze cans atm and I find it difficult to wait a minute after turning it off to turn it back on (Schiit advised me to give it a minute after turning it off before switching it back on again). It's rather difficult to work "from memory" when comparing cans that all have fairly close sound signatures.

No, I do it all the time. I would recommend turning the volume down a little each time so you don't blow your eardrums out if the new headphone is more sensitive.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #953 of 2,168

As mentioned above, no problem. But, what you really need is a second LYR. 
L3000.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #954 of 2,168
You should never have any headphone in/on your ears when you are plugging them in or turning on anything. The volume could be cranked and playing or something be wrong with the amp connections at that moment. You can replace the headphones if there's an issue and they get blown up. This is not true for your ears.

I learned this when a friend who was wearing some crappy inefficient on-ears wanted to share something with me on his iPod. I was already listening to something, so unplugged and plugged in my sensitive Shure SE530's to his ipod and did the funky chicken for a bit there.

He laughed his ass off, but I was pretty pissed off because I could have lost my hearing. I still have those three seconds on my list of the loudest things I have ever heard.  That being possibly #1, save for some gun shots.

Along these lines... just a word to the wise... never fire off a shotgun indoors. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #957 of 2,168
Howdy,

I've been burning in tubes for the last few weeks, solid, and I'm looking to elevate my Lyr 2 to allow at least an inch of cooling clearance underneath it. 

Can anyone recommend some decent isolating feet that don't cost a mint? Because buying my tube collection has hit my coin purse plenty hard. 

Any help is appreciated!

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #958 of 2,168
Wise words. I always unplug my phones before turning the power on or off. Old habit! I also turn the volume off before swapping phones.
I grew up in the Sierra's of California. Lots of guns around when I was young. Lost some hearing in right ear to ex brother in laws 44 Magnum. He fired when I was not looking and was not prepared. Ear plugs? Not then.

Quote:
  You should never have any headphone in/on your ears when you are plugging them in or turning on anything. The volume could be cranked and playing or something be wrong with the amp connections at that moment. You can replace the headphones if there's an issue and they get blown up. This is not true for your ears.

I learned this when a friend who was wearing some crappy inefficient on-ears wanted to share something with me on his iPod. I was already listening to something, so unplugged and plugged in my sensitive Shure SE530's to his ipod and did the funky chicken for a bit there.

He laughed his ass off, but I was pretty pissed off because I could have lost my hearing. I still have those three seconds on my list of the loudest things I have ever heard.  That being possibly #1, save for some gun shots.

Along these lines... just a word to the wise... never fire off a shotgun indoors. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #959 of 2,168
  Howdy,

I've been burning in tubes for the last few weeks, solid, and I'm looking to elevate my Lyr 2 to allow at least an inch of cooling clearance underneath it. 

Can anyone recommend some decent isolating feet that don't cost a mint? Because buying my tube collection has hit my coin purse plenty hard. 

Any help is appreciated!

You could use these Vibrapod cones - they're $8 each.  I use them on some of my equipment.  The Lyr may side around a little on the metal tops, but a little blue tack could solve that.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VBCONE&gclid=CjwKEAjw9PioBRDdpqy0-ofG3DgSJAACe5NEgfIqN2gVB62g3xIh44kWk7KH0W3gd4HeHvSUN7VKDhoCe4Hw_wcB

These too:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGPICO

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #960 of 2,168
Good tip Rb! Thanks. I could not find the little rubber feet (just did) so mine has been sitting metal to metal on the top vented grill of my old Yamaha A/V (off). Hoping it uses as extra heat sink. These look like a better idea!
You could use these Vibrapod cones - they're $8 each.  I use them on some of my equipment.  The Lyr may side around a little on the metal tops, but a little blue tack could solve that.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VBCONE&gclid=CjwKEAjw9PioBRDdpqy0-ofG3DgSJAACe5NEgfIqN2gVB62g3xIh44kWk7KH0W3gd4HeHvSUN7VKDhoCe4Hw_wcB

These too:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGPICO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back