NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Nov 11, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,116 of 2,168
The stock tubes and the LISST were my least liked in the Lyr2 and I'd agree the Jot is better if that is what you are using to compare the two but using some decent tubes the Lyr2 is better match with more headphones than the Jot.
That definitely makes sense. I'm in the fortunate position where I can pick headphone and amp at the same time, so I can tailor the combination however I like. Though I certainly am on a path to owning several headphones that are amazing in their own right, for now it's all about upgrading. When that changes, I can still get a Mjolnir 3 or something :wink:

Nov 11, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,117 of 2,168
Both are great for spot temp measurements. I prefer to see how the heat is distributed and what is hot. img_thermal_1444700235250.jpg img_thermal_1444700295527.jpg img_thermal_1444700313137.jpg

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2,119 of 2,168
These pictures are older, the setup had changed but still shows the devices in general. I really need to put my tubes back in the freya and take another picture with everything on. It is interesting because on the lyr2 the tubes are running at around 180°-190°f the top left of the case where the transformer is runs around 115°-120°f and yes the volume knob is at 104°f.

While I find things like this interesting what the thermal camera has been used for the most is finding our cats.

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #2,120 of 2,168
These pictures are older, the setup had changed but still shows the devices in general. I really need to put my tubes back in the freya and take another picture with everything on. It is interesting because on the lyr2 the tubes are running at around 180°-190°f the top left of the case where the transformer is runs around 115°-120°f and yes the volume knob is at 104°f.

While I find things like this interesting what the thermal camera has been used for the most is finding our cats.
Good thing mine doesn't have a ton of hiding spots :) Do yours get to go outside?
What kind thermal camera are you using?

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #2,121 of 2,168
Good thing mine doesn't have a ton of hiding spots :) Do yours get to go outside?
What kind thermal camera are you using?

They are usually pretty easy to find. We now know most of the hiding spots but every now and then they find a new one. They don't really go outside much, just out on the deck (second floor apartment). The camera is from seek thermal and is just the regular compact one. Been happy with it for the small amount of use it sees. For the price $250; there really isn't much comparable out there.

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #2,122 of 2,168

Using the Raytek the highest temp I've seen on the tubes is 146F (on the filament that is glowing), granted I have socket savers which raise the tubes about 9/16" up and a small 12v fan run with a 5v power source so its very quiet and provides just a very slight air flow over the top of the Lyr2.

Dec 1, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2,123 of 2,168
Let's revive this thread again with probably a silly question. Silly answers are welcomed right back at me.

Using a Lyr 2 with a Loki. Yes? No?

I'm thinking out loud here wondering if I was to slide the Loki into my chain while rolling tubes, doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of said rolling?
I'm always looking for the best sound with each set of HP's I own by rolling the different tubes I have. But isn't rolling supposed to take care of that? Am I on the straight with this before introducing it into the chain? I've read so many good things about this component and for the price, which is pretty inexpensive, I'm thinking on pulling the trigger but wanted some of your guys input/thoughts and "opinions"

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,124 of 2,168
No one says you can only use 1 set of tubes for all headphones! You certainly roll to no end, up hill or down or all around. And the Loki can be handy for fine tuning on top of the tubes rolled in. Just remember that a change in tubes can change detail or extension that the Loki can not do. That can also looked at in a recorded piece of music that lacks bass or treble depth and extension that the Loki can help boost where it is needed.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #2,125 of 2,168
Let's revive this thread again with probably a silly question. Silly answers are welcomed right back at me.

Using a Lyr 2 with a Loki. Yes? No?

I'm thinking out loud here wondering if I was to slide the Loki into my chain while rolling tubes, doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of said rolling?
I'm always looking for the best sound with each set of HP's I own by rolling the different tubes I have. But isn't rolling supposed to take care of that? Am I on the straight with this before introducing it into the chain? I've read so many good things about this component and for the price, which is pretty inexpensive, I'm thinking on pulling the trigger but wanted some of your guys input/thoughts and "opinions"
Go for it, just do it:heavy_check_mark:
I really don't see any negatives but it might add some distortion which may or may not be noticeable.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,126 of 2,168
Hello,
Have a question as I'm VERY frustrated.
Every single tube I use I'm getting distortion/static type noise with every single track I play. It's "p!$$ me off noticeable" in quite passages. Like at the end of a piano note, guitar strum, etc. This obviously is when it's must noticeable. I listen to a lot of hard stuff so obviously it blends in with the distorted guitars. I still hear it all the time though. It's every single HP too.
I'm using the tubemonger socket saver and an 6N3 to ECC88 adapter, of course only when using 5679/2C51 or 6N3P variants.
Can a socket saver or an adapter cause this? I need to find out whats making this happen as I won't be able to take this much longer.
Any suggestions guys?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #2,127 of 2,168
I'm going to assume you used Deoxit on the pins of the tubes and socket savers. If you remove the socket saver an plug the tubes directly in to the Lyr2 do you still have the distortion/static? If you do then I think your issue is a connection from source to DAC or from DAC to Lyr2 and could be a USB issue or just a bad connection.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #2,128 of 2,168
Hey David, never saw this. The same thing happens on the Jot. I'm clueless at this point without ripping the entire system and PC apart.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,129 of 2,168
Hey David, never saw this. The same thing happens on the Jot. I'm clueless at this point without ripping the entire system and PC apart.
If the same thing happens on the Jot then its not with either amp and I'd try a headphone connected to the headphone jack of the PC to see if the problem is the PC or the DAC.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #2,130 of 2,168
I have a Lyr 2 on the way with an assortment of tubes. Anyone have experience with any of the following from my stable of headphones with the Lyr 2?

Oppo PM-3
Focal Elear
HiFiMan HE-400S
AKG K550 and 7XX
Sennheiser HD600 and HD6XX
Beyerdynamic DT660 and DT880 (600 ohm)
Sony 7506

Man, I need to edit these down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back