NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jul 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #781 of 2,741
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-stqXyUKuGpP/p_580TXS608B/Onkyo-TX-SR608.html

Here is my receiver.  

If anyone can tell me how to use an Asgard 2 headphone amp (even if this means having to buy a Bifrost DAC) with this receiver I will paypal you $20. 

Alternatively:  Would the Onkyo drive these HD600's (300 ohmz) at least adequately?

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #782 of 2,741
Are my posts invisible? Seems like I am completely ignored in many threads...
confused.gif

It's getting kinda funny...

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #786 of 2,741
Quote:
Any source you want to hear on zone 2 output needs to be hooked up analog.  This will not solve your issue (listening to the AVR's DAC) but will give you functionality as the AVR will switch sources for you.  A Bifrost really wont do much for you unless you have a coaxial or toslink output that will feed your HDMI(?) sources off the AVR.  What sources do you have?

This is absolutely correct.  You'll actually bypass the receivers dac and will be using the dac in whatever source you use.  I don't think there's a way to use the receiver dac.  I run a line from my Yamaha receiver pre out into my Lyr when I want multiple sources.  This only works if the source has a redundant analog connection to the receiver.

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #787 of 2,741
It's sounding like I can't use an external amp with the TX-SR608.......  I remember one of the things they kept saying about this receiver was how future-proof it was......... dot dot dot

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #788 of 2,741
Quote:
2 HDMI in/1 out (directv/ps3).  I don't even use speakers -- headphones only.  

So you can run a dig out of the DirecTV at the same time as the HDMI and doesn't a PS3 have an optical out? If this is the case then the Bifrost option would work. If not then you are hosed...Headphone out of receiver ONLY.  Just curious, why'd you buy the AVR if you aren't using speakers with it?

Hell, I'd sell the AVR and get a Bifrost, hook the sources up HDMI to the TV directly and run the audio through the Bifrost

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #791 of 2,741
Quote:

From my limited experience with audio/headphone splitters, it will divy up your power/volume (my poor knowledge of correct terms, sorry).  It would be better to find a 'switch' of some type that lets you switch from one audio source to another.  There are a few that exist, but are surprisingly unpopular.

And honestly, to start out with, go to a local store and find a decent looking cable that's put together.  I got a 6' RCA cable (made by GE) that looks really nice, and is constructed very well for about $13. Looks about 2-3 times thicker than that cable, too.

A simple switch, like this ... should do the job
But... one comment states that there will be a signal loss if you have more than 1 input ... which sounds a bit strange since it can have up to 5

For the moment i am waiting for the A2 (from schiit.com) and the necessary cables (from amazon.com)... and i will try the front audio jack.

If my ears will sence some distorsions... i will try alternative audio routes

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #792 of 2,741
Now that you found that, I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SVS-14-Input-Manual-Selector/dp/B00005NCWK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2OL5DXORPTL4C&coliid=I1YU337INMX1RX

I actually need something like this, though I just need mine for one input and two different outputs. The couple of reviews I've read so far seem to be good, but I'll have to look at the bad ones later.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #795 of 2,741
If I was going to pay $352 for a simple switch, I'd rather do the research and attempt it myself.  That or go all out on a renowned receiver (modern or vintage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back