NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
May 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #406 of 2,741
May 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #407 of 2,741
Both here and in the Schiit owners site I'm enjoying discussions about their amps. A lot of it seems to fall into a sort of "good-better-best" discussion. Since I'm bored today, and nobody asked, here's my 2 cents:

I think they are making different amps for different uses and tastes. In my case, in 2012 when I began putting together a desktop headphone system, I already knew that I had enjoyed all-tube amplification (meaning tube input & output) for speakers and headphones since the early 90s. So, after reading reviews and comments, I decided to take a chance on the "not ideal" (but not forbidden) match of Valhalla with the 32 ohm RS1i. I am delighted with the result.

So I strongly suggest that anyone shopping amps look closely at 1) amps that would/would not be suitable for specific cans; and 2) what reviewers describe the sonic characteristics of those amps to be. A great example is the Six Moons review(s) for Asgard, Valhalla, and Lyr. Great writing, informative about the SOUND of the three amps (having them at the same time), and fun! This stuff is really helpful for all of us who can't audition multiple products before purchase.

OK, time for me to "Crawl Back (Under My Stone)", open an Avery White Rascal, and do some listening to RT.

May 6, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #408 of 2,741
Does anyone have both the Asgard 2 and the original Asgard to do a quick comparison? I'm curious if the change Shiit made really alter the sound all that much, even when they say the THD is 10x better.

Thanks

Consider this: with the A2 they have added an ability to switch between two gains, pre-amp etc. So, if the sound has not changed you still might need to have one of those things. For example, to use your super expensive IEMs. By the way, the Schiit staff does not hide what has changed in the description to the A2. If those things matter - wait for the A2.

May 6, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #409 of 2,741
Quote:

Blech. The one with the Bifrost was sold, the others only shipped within the U.S.
frown.gif

I'll probably be going for the A2 and Bifrost Über later this summer.

May 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #413 of 2,741
Now; Schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost stack, or a Woo Audio WA6 with the Cambridge DacMagic Plus I already own?

May 7, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #414 of 2,741
So I am in the bidness for a pair of open back headphones. I am between Beyerdynamic Dt990 premium and Sennheiser HD650. Now I know Vahalla or Lyr would be an overall better amp for those two cans but i have the A2 and love it. Which would you guys suggest to pair well with A2?

May 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #415 of 2,741
Consider this: with the A2 they have added an ability to switch between two gains, pre-amp etc. So, if the sound has not changed you still might need to have one of those things. For example, to use your super expensive IEMs. By the way, the Schiit staff does not hide what has changed in the description to the A2. If those things matter - wait for the A2.

Well the gain switch is not super interesting really since I've been using my IEMs with the Asgard just fine, I'm more interested in the sonic difference, if there's any, and if it's better.

May 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #416 of 2,741
Quote:
He-500.. A2 or Lyr? 

I'm upgrading from a Fiio E9.

Anybody tested both? Ta. 

Guess I am in the minority, but I feel the asgard sounds better than the lyr, as long as you do not need the extra power.

May 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #418 of 2,741
Curious if anyone else is running Beyers with their A2. I have DT990 250ohm version.

Scott

May 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #419 of 2,741
Yes, it would be nice to hear if anyone has tried the Asgard 2 with beyers. I have the t70s running on a little dot MK IV Se and im scared to hear how beyers would sound like on a SS amp. With that being said, I'll probably still get the asgard 2 anyways in 2 weeks to try out.

May 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #420 of 2,741
Hi Scott,

I use either my Beyer DT250 80 ohm or DT880 250 ohm with the A2, depending on how much noise isolation I need.  I prefer the DT880 headphones with the A2, unless I want serious bass for electronica or dubstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back