NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
May 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #392 of 2,741
Just got my Asgard 2 and couldn't be happier.  This is my first real headphone amp so I'm in no rush to jump in with grandiose claims about its sound.  I will however, say that I can't imagine better build quality for its class.  It really is quite beautiful and solid as a rock.  No transformer hum of any kind and a very quiet noise floor on low gain with my fairly low impedance Sony MDR-7506.  Also doing a great job as a preamp in my desktop rig.  In a perfect world there would be a frontside switch so I don't have to keep unplugging my cans, but the fact that they included pre outs at all is a huge win in my book.  Looking forward to lots of listening ahead.  On a side note, I ordered a pair of pyst rca interconnects as well and, being an idiot, didn't fully take to heart the ample warnings Schiit has stating that these guys are quite short.  Used to thinking in meter and half meter lengths, 6 inch cables are really designed only to connect two components directly stacked.  I ended up making it work, but it was a bit hairy.  If you aren't stacking Schiit gear I'd heed the warnings.

May 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #393 of 2,741
I just ordered my Asgard 2 on the 30th. From hearing all the ecstatic reviews sounds like I finally found my "giant-killer" at a price of $250 it has blown all the competition out of the water under $1000. Can't wait to drive my DT880 250 ohms and my modified t50rps. Now just hurry up and clear those backorders
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #395 of 2,741
Quote:
I just ordered my Asgard 2 on the 30th. From hearing all the ecstatic reviews sounds like I finally found my "giant-killer" at a price of $250 it has blown all the competition out of the water under $1000. Can't wait to drive my DT880 250 ohms and my modified t50rps. Now just hurry up and clear those backorders
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ordered mine on the 23rd, so me first! 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 (and all the other folks before us too)

Scott

May 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #396 of 2,741
wow the 23rd and also the guy who ordered his a month ago :xf_eek: I thought they were clearing orders quickly... they really need to get their Schiit together ;]

May 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #398 of 2,741
Mine shipped on the 26th. I'd ordered it more than a month before. I've been using it primarily as a preamp for a new pair of Airmotiv 4s at my desk, with which I'm too enamored to put on my HD-650s for long, and even then haven't had much time for critical listening, so no listening report to speak of.

Dandy preamp though, and I do love the A4s. The bass is so much more "present" than with the headphones, and that with the speakers on stands and a decent distance from the wall, although the positioning may still be boosting the bass a bit. A2 volume goes up to about 12:00 before distorting the A4s with their volume turned up to max, so a good bit of adjustment room.

Now I just need to get my first-generation Meridian Explorer replaced, which I ordered a month before the A2, and for which I received the return slip a day before the A2 shipped. So after waiting more than a month for my new A2, I get to go without my new DAC for two weeks. I guess I'm just lucky.

May 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #399 of 2,741
Good to hear positive things about its use as a preamp. I have a pair of powered monitors from Monoprice (for $167 I had to try them) waiting for this amp. On the headphone front I have some 250ohm Beyer DT990s. I am stoked to try all of these out together.

May 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #401 of 2,741
 Audio Advisor web site shows in stock now... my A2 is on it's way!!!!

Not to rain on your parade but I have had one on backorder from AA since 2/18 and it is still showing "Backordered". Did you actually get a ship notification? AA has stated they were in stock before when they were not only anticipated.

May 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #402 of 2,741
Does anyone have both the Asgard 2 and the original Asgard to do a quick comparison? I'm curious if the change Shiit made really alter the sound all that much, even when they say the THD is 10x better.

Thanks

May 5, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #403 of 2,741
Something must be going on, a whole bunch of Asgard 1's recently showed up on ebay. I was wondering myself if the 2 was significantly better than the 1. Can pick up a used 1 right now and I am not all that picky that I have to have a new one, if I can get a 1 that is almost as good as the 2.

May 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #404 of 2,741
Actually no, but the "salesman" stated mine would ship around the 2nd week of May. I too just might purchase a A1 off eBay if I'm looking at waiting "months " for an A2.

May 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #405 of 2,741
Don't know where you find them or what I'm doing wrong, but I couldn't find a single Asgard on either ebay.com or ebay.co.uk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back