NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Feb 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,741

mab1376

1000+ Head-Fier
didn't see this anywhere else on the forums by doing a quick search, sorry if it's a double post.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=16

As of 2/7/13:

STATUS: In production. Orders placed now are expected to ship in 5-7 business days.
Asgard 2 is the next generation of one of the most popular headphone amps in the world, boasting higher performance and convenience features such as switchable gain and preamp outputs. It’s a versatile control center for your desktop system, ideal for most headphones from IEMs to orthos, and with pre outs for powered desktop speakers.
Significantly Improved Performance
We used what we learned in Mjolnir to significantly improve Asgard 2’s performance. A high-voltage, cascoded JFET gain stage feeds a high-current Class A MOSFET output section. The 80V rails on the gain stage allow us to reduce distortion, while retaining Asgard’s no-overall-feedback design in high-gain mode.
Additional Versatility: From IEMs to Orthos to Active Monitors
Asgard 2 offers two gain settings. The low-gain mode is perfect for high-sensitivity IEMs, while the high-gain mode is ideal for most other headphones, up to and including many orthodynamics. In addition, the preamp outputs can easily be connected to powered speakers, for a complete desktop system.
Made in USA
By “made in USA,” we mean made in USA. The vast majority of the total production cost of Asgard 2—chassis, boards, transformers, assembly, etc—goes to US companies manufacturing in the US. Our board house is 20 minutes away from our office in Newhall. Our chassis guys are just over the hill in the Valley.
5-Year Warranty
Asgard 2 is covered by a limited warranty that covers parts and labor for five years. That’s 5 years. Yes. FIVE. Which is up to 5X that of our competition, if you weren’t so hot at math. Note the marketing weasel-wording “up to.”
15-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
Try Asgard 2 in your own house for 15 days. If you don’t like it, simply send it back for a refund, minus a 5% transaction fee. Try spending 15 days in an audio store. They’ll kick you out. Unless you buy them donuts. Maybe.
Want more info? Check out the Asgard 2 FAQ.
Specifications*
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW
THD: Less than 0.008%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, high gain mode (worst case)
IMD: Less than 0.010%, CCIR at 1V RMS, high gain mode (worst case)
SNR: More than 102db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS, in low gain mode
Crosstalk: Less than -72dB, 20Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: Less than 2 ohms
Gain: High = 6 (15.6db) or Low = 1.5 (3.5db), via rear switch
Topology: Fully discrete, single-ended Class A with single voltage gain stage, no overall feedback in high gain mode, 12dB feedback in low gain mode
Protection: standard muting relay for delayed turn-on and fast turn-off
Power Supply: Internal power transformer with 4 separate power supply rails and over 20,000uf of filter capacitance
Power Consumption: 30W
Size: 9 x 6 x 2.25”
Weight: 5 lbs
*All measurements made on a Stanford Research SR1+ Audio Analyzer

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 2,741
Question:

Could you plug a receiver/amp line out into the Asgard 2, then plug the Asgard 2 into your sound card (Titanium HD) to have 1 device to control your speakers and headphones?  And if so how do you switch between the two?  Plug the headphones in and it goes to headphone mode, unplug them and it goes back to speaker mode?  Curious.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 2,741
With the RCA output it looks doable, just turn off your receiver when not using the speakers and unplug the headphones when not using them.

you can also ask Jason from schiit directly in the thread posted above.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 2,741
Quote:
With the RCA output it looks doable, just turn off your receiver when not using the speakers and unplug the headphones when not using them.

you can also ask Jason from schiit directly in the thread posted above.

Yeah from the looks of it, seems do-able.  I sent them an email to confirm anyway.  SUPER GIDDY about it.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 2,741
It seems like more headphone amp manufacturers are using gain switches. Interesting. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 2,741
I'm not at all surprised, especially when I heard how good the Magni sounded. I thought at $250 they were going to have raise their game with the Asgard. This is definitely tempting and making me rethink the Magni. Very tricky! 

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 2,741
do you guys think Asgard 2 will be good match with sennheiser hd800, hifiman he6, and audeze lcd 2?

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 2,741
Quote:
do you guys think Asgard 2 will be good match with sennheiser hd800, hifiman he6, and audeze lcd 2?

Sure, NO, and yes. Although there's plenty better suited for the HD800 most notably tube amps.
The LCD-2 will be fine and most likely pair very nicely, while the HE-6 is a NO-chance. Period.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 2,741
I have happy to see the upgrade. However I have mixed feeling as my asgard is only a few month old.

I am wondering whether the new asgard will drive K701 better.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 2,741
Quote:
I have happy to see the upgrade. However I have mixed feeling as my asgard is only a few month old.

I am wondering whether the new asgard will drive K701 better.

That's pretty much always the situation when a product is upgraded.
Except (most) cars, which people know will be receiving an "upgrade" every year.

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 2,741
I'm planning on using it primarily with my Ultrasone Pro900's.

I'm definitely going to try out my Beyer T70's and Sennheiser HD650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back