NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Oct 14, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,476 of 2,741
  any owners experience clicking or popping sounds during power on or off?
i know this issue has been addressed from the asgard1, however during my in-store demo yesterday, after about a 20minute session i turned off the unit and felt a pressure-like sensation in my ears along with a faint "fuzz' sound.

i remember this sensation when i tried the Bose QC35 for the first time - if anyone can relate.

i tried to replicate it afterwards. it didn't happen again but there were click/pops instead, mostly during power-off
i was using my K712 Pro. it was enough to turn me off buying it

Mine does, but it's at a low volume; it's the muting relay turning on/off, and should be completely harmless.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #2,479 of 2,741
I think I have a defective Asgard 2.

My setup:

Lenovo laptop, Windown Media Player, FLAC files > PYST USB cable > Bifrost 4490 > PYST RCA cables > Asgard 2 > AKG K712 Pro

Through this setup, the headphones sounded a bit bright, harsh and there was no bass. As I know, the Asgard 2 is not supposed to sound like that with these phones.

Earlier I fed the Asgard 2 with a Fireye DA -dac/amp, using this only as a DAC with AKG K712 and the sound was unlistenable, bright without bass. Bifrost 4490 was a change to better, but still no good.

Then I left the Bifrost 4490 and Asgard 2 combo aside and connected only the Fireye DA to the lap using the same AKG K712 headphones and...

...the sound is different, darker side of neutral, like it is said and I can hear the bass. Earlier I thought it was the headphones, but now I think it's the headphone amp.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #2,480 of 2,741
I have different AKGs,but I have never heard a combination with any of my components or headphones that made me feel as you describe.

I'd start with. A different set of headphones first, just to be sure it isn't a "bad combo" between the two. (It reads like the only permutations left from what you've tried...)

I can DAC my audio chain with anything and have never gotten the results you have, even with HD800s or T1s through my ASGARD 2.

For sure it doesn't THUMP bass like my portable amps are designed to, but if the source has bass, my ASGARD 2 lets it shine authentically without over-emphasis.

If you got yours new, talk to the guys at SCHITT if all else fails. I'm told that they are friendly-enough. They were very helpful to me when I was selecting my ASGARD 2, and answered all my questions quickly.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,481 of 2,741
I also tried Bifrost 4490 + Asgard 2 combo with Beyerdynamic DT 860 headphones and the results were same. No bass, bright, mechanical...
Beyerdynamic DT 860 are bright sounding hp's with bass. And I also tried them with Fireye DA + Asgard 2 combo with even worse results.

There's not many choices left. I think my Asgard 2 is a defective/bad unit and I bought it new.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,482 of 2,741
  I also tried Bifrost 4490 + Asgard 2 combo with Beyerdynamic DT 860 headphones and the results were same. No bass, bright, mechanical...
Beyerdynamic DT 860 are bright sounding hp's with bass. And I also tried them with Fireye DA + Asgard 2 combo with even worse results.

There's not many choices left. I think my Asgard 2 is a defective/bad unit and I bought it new.

Sounds like it's time to ring-up Schiit and let them take a look at it.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #2,483 of 2,741
I'm in the process of sending mine back.  Arcam rDac-kw + Asgard 2 + HE-400i

Worked great for almost a week and then died.  Get's really warm/hot.  Low gain most of the time when I realized HG was just over kill.

Tested all cables, wires, headphones, different AMP with Arcam rdac, NAD D 1050, differet power cable.

The only thing that works at ALL if you can call it that is your turn HG on and with the volume barely up you can hear some cratchy sounds and if you do windows sound test you can BARELY hear it.

Decided to go for a replacement to get Schiit another chance.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #2,484 of 2,741
Since the Asgard and Asgard 2 are true "Class A" amps they do run very warm to hot but that's not an issue for the amp itself. It sounds like something may have gone bad in your amp but Schiit has great customer service and I'm sure that you'll be pleased with the replacement. I use the Asgard 2 in my office setup and it's been left on 24/7 for going on two years now and it always works perfectly. 
Good luck! 

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,485 of 2,741
  Since the Asgard and Asgard 2 are true "Class A" amps they do run very warm to hot but that's not an issue for the amp itself. It sounds like something may have gone bad in your amp but Schiit has great customer service and I'm sure that you'll be pleased with the replacement. I use the Asgard 2 in my office setup and it's been left on 24/7 for going on two years now and it always works perfectly. 
Good luck! 

That's really good to hear.  I believe you.  A friend wanted me to just send it back and replace it with Creek but I've seen too many good things about this little bad boy to give up.

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #2,488 of 2,741
Hello i have buyed Sennheiser hd 650 that i pairing with Asgard 2 and modi 2 Uber.And i wonder if i should change out to a Valhalla 2 or Schiit modi 2 multibit or Bifrost to get
lower Treble at high volumes?

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #2,489 of 2,741
  Hello i have buyed Sennheiser hd 650 that i pairing with Asgard 2 and modi 2 Uber.And i wonder if i should change out to a Valhalla 2 or Schiit modi 2 multibit or Bifrost to get
lower Treble at high volumes?

Use EQ.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #2,490 of 2,741
  Thanks!

Have you tried any of Schiit's tube amps?  Since I am practically convinced of going with Magni 2 Uber I am considering getting a taste of their tubes. Even the vali 2 seems solid for both hd6x0 with 270mW into 300ohms. 

I dont think I would get the Bitfrost or a higher end DAC for while. Ive had some experience with DACs and after certain threshold they just seem the same to my ears. 

I owned both the Magni 2 Uber and Lyr 2 simultaneously for a little while before switching to the lyr exclusively.  I have listened to both with a pair of hd600s for a while and I think that both do a very good job of driving the Aennheisers.  That said, for me there were several improvements from moving to the lyr.  One that I liked most for the he600s was a bit less treble and more low end bass.  Also, I found a very immediate and noticeable widening of the soundstage even with the stock tubes.  The other thing that I liked (and really hated about the Magni Uber) was the volume control.  By the time you turn the volume knob up to where you get past the channel imbalance, it was on the edge of too loud for sustained listening.  I found this to be true with mine even using power-hungry planars with the Magni on low gain setting.  My lyr (and I suspect this is also true of the Asgard) though it puts out more power, has far better control over it.  I can listen to my lyr with balanced armature IEM's at pretty low volume levels and no channel imbalance.  So, if you can swing the funds, I think the Asgard would be a worthy upgrade for that alone, unless you find yourself tending to blast your music more.  For me, I like the ability to use a wider variety of phones at a wider variety of volumes and could never go back to the Magni now for that reason alone.  Aaand, back to answering your other question, tubes are pretty cool, but you can drop some pretty scary amounts of cash on them fairly quick-like if you're not too careful.  I have yet to try out Schiit's LIIST solidstate tubes, but if you want a best of both worlds amp combo, that might be something to consider.  I found the both the Modi Uber and multibit to be very good value with either amp. I'm very content with it as my DAC, and don't see myself upgrading to a bifrost anytime in the near future.  I know that was a bit rambling, but hope it helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back