NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Apr 16, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #1,546 of 2,741
I meant the lyr's 8 watts into my 32 ohm, 102 db/mW Oppo PM-1's would likely be less than optimal. I think the A2 with less overall power and 2 gain settings should pair well with my Oppos and ciems, and well enough with my Alphas. The Lyr is quite good with the Alphas as I recall. I dang near bought a Lyr this week. I just decided it might not be the best choice with the Oppos. If I only had the alphas, I probably would have gone for the Lyr.

I see, that makes sense. Sounds like you made the right call for your setup.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,547 of 2,741
  Would the Asgard 2 pair well with the JKenny Ciunas DAC and the Sennheiser HD 650's?  Otherwise what other Schiit headphone amp would you suggest?  I need the passthru for my main system.  Guess that would just leave the Schiit Lyr as another option.  I'm just not so hot on the tube amps, due to mobility for seasonal homes.  Hate to worry about busting those tubes on the plane. 
       Thanks
               Mark

While I have not heard your DAC, the A2 is quite good with the HD650s.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #1,548 of 2,741
  Would the Asgard 2 pair well with the JKenny Ciunas DAC and the Sennheiser HD 650's?  Otherwise what other Schiit headphone amp would you suggest?  I need the passthru for my main system.  Guess that would just leave the Schiit Lyr as another option.  I'm just not so hot on the tube amps, due to mobility for seasonal homes.  Hate to worry about busting those tubes on the plane. 
       Thanks
               Mark

I believe the Asgard 2 and HD650 are very good at balancing each other out.  The Asgard 2 is a bit of a bright amp (less than the Magni, but you catch my drift).  I personally feel it matches well with the darker/more dense sound of the HD650.  However, I find the Asgard 2 paired with brighter headphones to be eventually fatiguing.  

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,549 of 2,741

I believe the Asgard 2 and HD650 are very good at balancing each other out.  The Asgard 2 is a bit of a bright amp (less than the Magni, but you catch my drift).  I personally feel it matches well with the darker/more dense sound of the HD650.  However, I find the Asgard 2 paired with brighter headphones to be eventually fatiguing.  

I have to agree with you but DT880s are considered bright headphones and I would say the Asgard 2 takes some of the edge off. It is very clean sounding and detailed but the good low end bass response and mid warmth gives me the impression it adds slight coloration that goes well with my DT880. This could be the Bifrost Uber though that is connected to my Asgard 2

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,550 of 2,741
I have to agree with you but DT880s are considered bright headphones and I would say the Asgard 2 takes some of the edge off. It is very clean sounding and detailed but the good low end bass response and mid warmth gives me the impression it adds slight coloration that goes well with my DT880. This could be the Bifrost Uber though that is connected to my Asgard 2

I'd have to agree there. My 770s do wonderful with the Asgard 2,but trying the vanilla 770s with a Magni and Modi combo was not pleasant. However, my now sold Grados didn't pair up well as all IMO.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,552 of 2,741
  How does the Asgard 2 sound in the high range compared to the Magni?

A bit more tame.  It's still bright, but not nearly so as the Magni.  I'd say a bit more detailed as well.  That's Asgard 2 vs. Magni (not sure about vanilla/OG Asgard).

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,553 of 2,741

A bit more tame.  It's still bright, but not nearly so as the Magni.  I'd say a bit more detailed as well.  That's Asgard 2 vs. Magni (not sure about vanilla/OG Asgard).

I didn't find the Asgard 2 bright at all.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #1,554 of 2,741
  I didn't find the Asgard 2 bright at all.

I think it heavily relies on DAC and source.  With the Modi it's a bit bright.  Bright headphones don't help it any either.  Grados are definitely a no-no IMO.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #1,555 of 2,741
The Asgard 2 doesn't sound "bright" in my system and I'm using it as a preamp (Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Parasound A21 amp and B&W 805 speakers) and obviously as a headphone amp primarily with the HE-400 and 500's and the B&W P7's. Some brightness "may" be coming either from source media or your source component if one is having that issue. It could be a simple issue of system matching for some...maybe I've just lucked out. I don't find the A2 to be as warm sounding in my system as the Lyr but "possibly" its more neutral in the midrange and treble than the Lyr. I'm not sure...I do know that I haven't heard any harshness/brightness from the A2. Good luck!

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,556 of 2,741
Can't call the A2 bright at all either. Had it paired with Bifrost Uber for a while and after that my current DAC Yulong D100 MKII. Don't know how they both compare to Modi. Personnally I believe that A2 does well with neutral cans and likely even better with slightly bright cans. The Sennheiser 650 combo for example isn't pretty to my ears. The high frequency is just way smoothed out.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #1,557 of 2,741
Definitely going to give an Asgard 2 a shot. Hopefully i will be able to order it tomorrow afternoon.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,559 of 2,741
Has anybody else noticed that there is a little bit of play in the on/off switch? Is this normal? When I flip the switch on mine either up (on) or down (off) I can push it a little further in either direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back