New Sarah McLachlan
Nov 6, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #31 of 45
Well, it is indeed as I expected. Its pleasant, on a few songs, a bit more than that, but a mere shell of the great music from her earlier albums..... sadly. There is almost nothing to be found here that would have even been acceptable unreleased filler on her significant works.
I am and always will be huge fan of Sarah's, but unfortunately, all of her truly inspired, powerful and transcendant music may well be behind her if this is all she can manage after over five years and what has happened in that period.........
I quote the originator and guru of the Sarah McLachlan group that I mentioned earlier regarding this new album "and we thought we were disappointed by Surfacing!"
enough said............this is still Sarah, but a watered down version seemingly made for "adult contemporary" stations.

JC

Nov 6, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #32 of 45
I will not knowingly buy albums that have copy protection on them. ISorry Sarah, guess I'm taking a pass on this one. I did intend to buy it too.

Incidentally, the Hartford Courant's review today was pretty much along the same lines as most of those above-its nice enough but breaks no new ground, it won't win any new fans but won't turn off the existing ones either.

Nov 6, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Thump
I will not knowingly buy albums that have copy protection on them. ISorry Sarah, guess I'm taking a pass on this one. I did intend to buy it too.

Copy protection? What copy protection? I just used EAC to make a perfect copy of the audio tracks and I don't hear anything weird going on. No pops, no skips, no beeps, everything works and sounds fine. It ain't copy protected as far as I can tell.

Nov 6, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

So far it sounds like "Surfacing Lite"

Yeah. Gotta agree with all that has been said here already. I also had very high expections.

I think my fav cuts so far are "Fallen", and "Train Wreck". I admit that I seem to hear more each time I listen to the CD though *shrug*.

Nov 9, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #35 of 45
Got a chance this album today in Tower Records...took me all of 20 seconds in the first 4 tracks to decide to nab it for the $9.99 it costed. This is my first encounter with Sarah McLachlan...main thing that drew me in was her voice. I definitely intend to check out her previous albums. But I'm enjoying this one quite a bit so far.

Quote:

Production is first rate on this album. There are no major gripes over the sound quality of her album. No hissing, cracks, pops, or other faults can be heard.

Just got to the 10th track. There seems to be some slight background distortion between 1:28 - 1:50. Sounds like your typical mic overload type of warble...occuring in the echoes of Sarah's singing. Using Etymotics at the moment...you probably wouldn't hear it as well if at all on full size 'phones.

Nov 9, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
Copy protection? What copy protection? I just used EAC to make a perfect copy of the audio tracks and I don't hear anything weird going on. No pops, no skips, no beeps, everything works and sounds fine. It ain't copy protected as far as I can tell.

It's copy protected with Suncomm's MediaMax / MediaMaxx system (at least the US version is, don't know about the Canadian version). It mentions this in the fine print on the back of the CD, and it also doesn't have the "CD Digital Audio" logo (since it's not a true Redbook CD). Apparently it doesn't rip properly with Windows Media Player on many systems. I can confirm that it rips fine with EAC though.

Nov 9, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Got a chance this album today in Tower Records...took me all of 20 seconds in the first 4 tracks to decide to nab it for the $9.99 it costed. This is my first encounter with Sarah McLachlan...main thing that drew me in was her voice. I definitely intend to check out her previous albums. But I'm enjoying this one quite a bit so far.

eek.gif

Do yourself a favor and try "fumbling towards ecstasy," it's an incredible album.

Nov 10, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #39 of 45
I'm also disappointed by this release. Oh well at least it only cost $10 Cdn. here in Vancouver.

I attended the Cancer benefit show Sarah played in October 2002 with BNL, Chantal Kreviazuk, Bryan Adams, Jann Arden etc...

I was really hoping they'd make a live CD from that show. Although I'm not much of an Adams fan anymore, BNL did a version of Cuts Like a Knife that was really good.

A video of that concert would be nice, it was funny when Sarah's dog ran onto the stage.

Nov 10, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #40 of 45
I don't use MP3s at all-I'm 100% audio cd, SHN or FLAC. My problem with copy protection is not whether I can figure out a way to beat it (that's usually child's play) but, on principle, I will not buy any music album with copy protection on it. My computer is my music source 90% of the time and I don't want the record companies trying to take that away from me.

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #41 of 45
I'm not familiar with Sarah McLachlan, but I'm interested in finding out more about her. For those of you who're familiar with her songs, what do you think her best CD is?

Mar 2, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #42 of 45
For anyone that has iTunes (or rather uses it to buy anything) the Live Acoustic Ep she did for them is *amazing*. Not sure how they got so much quality into a 128K AAC file, but believe it or not it sounds pretty good, quality-wise.

That version of "Angel" is, hands-down, the definitive recording, and I'll fistfight anyone who disagees.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
I'm not familiar with Sarah McLachlan, but I'm interested in finding out more about her. For those of you who're familiar with her songs, what do you think her best CD is?

Either Solace or Fumbling Towards Ecstacy. I have a hard time picking a "best" out of the two since they're quite different, it depends more on my mood than anything else. Most people say "Fumbling" is her best work, but I like "Solace" a bit more these days.

Mar 2, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor

I really like Fumbling, as mentioned by Aerius, and Surfacing.

Mar 2, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #45 of 45
While shopping, I found a DVD called "Sarah McLachlan: Video Collection 1989-1998". Does anyone own it? If so, what do you think?

Edit: Found another one called "Mirrorball", looks like a live concert, wonder which one should I get....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back