New Sansa Clip Zip is out!
Mar 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #198 of 402
No dedicated volume buttons, kinda iffy dial wheel, proprietary USB port.

I agree. The only reason to get the fuze (IMO) is the longer battery life. I prefer the clip+ or clipzip - way better.:cool:

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #199 of 402

Quote:
Never quoted myself before.

I have a Clip+ and considering Fuse to get longer battery life. Any reason not to go with the Fuse?

It's been almost two years since they discontinued the original Fuze, which could have an effect on the battery. And the replacement, the Fuze+, isn't recommended.....although it sounds very nice, the controls are atrocious and frustrating to use. I use mine strictly as a "shuffle all" in sleep mode player for use on my nightstand with a set of computer speakers.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #200 of 402
i just received my clip zip few hours ago with the hf5,it`s smaller then i thought,quite heavy for its size (good thing),about the material is just a bit less then,let`s say a nano 6g,and it sound very nice,hope it will sound better with rockbox.
i am trying many tips for my hf5,but already ,where the fu.. did i putted the triflanges..
salute

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #201 of 402

Quote:

Oh man, that's unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear the news about your laptop's hard drive. :/

Even though I own a Macbook, I almost exclusively use Exact Audio Copy on Windows for the most accurate rips. However, on Mac OS X, I think XLD, xACT, and Rip are decent CD-rippers.

For converters, I use Foobar with LAME MP3 on Windows. On Mac OS X I use either iTunes LAME with a slightly older LAME MP3 encoder or Max.

Just a warning about ALAC files with the Clip Zip, the stock OS doesn't support ALAC (I've tried), and it ends up playing random noises. With Rockbox however, ALAC files play perfectly fine.

Thanks miceblue, no worries about the hard drive. Lesson learnt to always have a back up storage. Do I need to add the Lame MP3 decoder seperately to Foobar or is it pre-installed as standard components? Does Foobar decode FLAC? Correct me if I'm wrong that EAC files takes up more disk space than FLAC file or is it the WAV files that take up more space.
Lastly, does rockbox improves the SQ compared to the OF or is it's only a better ui that we are getting? Many thanks.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #202 of 402

Quote:
Thanks miceblue, no worries about the hard drive. Lesson learnt to always have a back up storage. Do I need to add the Lame MP3 decoder seperately to Foobar or is it pre-installed as standard components? Does Foobar decode FLAC? Correct me if I'm wrong that EAC files takes up more disk space than FLAC file or is it the WAV files that take up more space.
Lastly, does rockbox improves the SQ compared to the OF or is it's only a better ui that we are getting? Many thanks.

WAV takes up the most space. FLAC takes up more space than MP3 does, for sure. 

fb2k does play flac. 

In general rockbox shouldn't change the sound of the device. Potential exceptions are cowon devices with "jet audio" filters and EQs where it can be hard to understand where the "Don't monkey with my music" setting really lies. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #203 of 402

Quote:
WAV takes up the most space. FLAC takes up more space than MP3 does, for sure. 

fb2k does play flac. 

In general rockbox shouldn't change the sound of the device. Potential exceptions are cowon devices with "jet audio" filters and EQs where it can be hard to understand where the "Don't monkey with my music" setting really lies. 

Hi thanks ericj, in that case, I'll just stick to the OF of the zip. Anyway, does the fb2k support ripping of cd to flac? Can fb2k convert alac to flac? Sorry for the noob question but I' really computer challenged. Many thanks.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #204 of 402
there might be other considerations, like gapless playback, but i don't pay enough attention to the sansa OF to know. I just install rockbox on principle. It's possible that i have one of the largest collections of rockboxed DAPs among non-rockbox-committers. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #205 of 402

Quote:
there might be other considerations, like gapless playback, but i don't pay enough attention to the sansa OF to know. I just install rockbox on principle. It's possible that i have one of the largest collections of rockboxed DAPs among non-rockbox-committers. 

Yes, gapless playback, and especially the battery life improvement. The difference in battery life is particularly stunning if one uses FLAC files on a Sansa player.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #206 of 402
Hi all.

long time rockbox user here (mostly on the clip+)

i do a lot of short voice nots via the recorder, and I'm noticing that with the zip (rockboxed of course)  i'm having trouble accessing the "files" folder which i use to access my recordings.
when i click on it, nothing happens.. and i mean nothing.. its as if i did not click on it.  i havent found a sure workaround to make it accessible but every once in a while i manage to get in there.

is this a known bug?
if not, any suggestions on a workaround?

thanks

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #207 of 402

Quote:
Hi all.

i do a lot of short voice nots via the recorder, and I'm noticing that with the zip (rockboxed of course)  i'm having trouble accessing the "files" folder which i use to access my recordings.
when i click on it, nothing happens.. and i mean nothing.. its as if i did not click on it.  i havent found a sure workaround to make it accessible but every once in a while i manage to get in there.

is this a known bug?

thanks

Sorry, no idea......I've never even tried the voice recorder.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #208 of 402

Quote:

Yes, you do need to locate the "lame.exe" file on your computer in order for the encoder to work properly. The latest versions can be downloaded from here. When you right-click on a track on Foobar, go to: Convert, convert, Output Format, MP3 (LAME), Edit, Convert, locate the "lame.exe" file.

Quote:
Hi all.

is this a known bug?

thanks

I just tested the voice recording feature on Rockbox and it works perfectly fine for me. When doing voice recordings, make sure you scroll down to "Filename" and press the center select button so that it says: /R_MIC......
This should start the recording process and the indicated file size should be increasing. Also make sure your recording volume is loud enough to be heard. Press the hold/power button to stop recording.

Then when you plug-in your Clip Zip to your computer, that file should be in the root directory in WAV format. This can be opened via VLC or another media player that supports WAV files.

From my quick test, I don't think the microphone has enough gain to record a class lecture very well even with a 24.0 dB gain. I attempted to record some music playing through my desktop speakers and the end recording is pretty quiet (speakers were about 70cm away and playing at normal listening levels in a quiet environment).

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #209 of 402

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, gapless playback, and especially the battery life improvement. The difference in battery life is particularly stunning if one uses FLAC files on a Sansa player.

Hi, thanks for the input. I was looking solely at the SQ factor and did not think too much into it. Will try to rock box sometime later. Thanks.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #210 of 402

Quote:
Yes, you do need to locate the "lame.exe" file on your computer in order for the encoder to work properly. The latest versions can be downloaded from here. When you right-click on a track on Foobar, go to: Convert, convert, Output Format, MP3 (LAME), Edit, Convert, locate the "lame.exe" file.

I just tested the voice recording feature on Rockbox and it works perfectly fine for me. When doing voice recordings, make sure you scroll down to "Filename" and press the center select button so that it says: /R_MIC......
This should start the recording process and the indicated file size should be increasing. Also make sure your recording volume is loud enough to be heard. Press the hold/power button to stop recording.

Then when you plug-in your Clip Zip to your computer, that file should be in the root directory in WAV format. This can be opened via VLC or another media player that supports WAV files.

From my quick test, I don't think the microphone has enough gain to record a class lecture very well even with a 24.0 dB gain. I attempted to record some music playing through my desktop speakers and the end recording is pretty quiet (speakers were about 70cm away and playing at normal listening levels in a quiet environment).

Hi miceblue, I see a whole list of different "lame exe" files. Which is the one that I should be looking at? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back