New Sansa Clip Zip is out!
Mar 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #182 of 402

Quote:
Are there alternatives to the Clip+ with longer hours of listening and not exceeding $150?

Also about the same size as the Clip+?

What immediately comes to mind: iPod Nano...though it's limited to the stock OS and cannot be Rockboxed at the moment. It's not a bad alternative, especially if you're an iTunes user, but just note that you pay a little more for the brand-name/anodized aluminum chassis.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #183 of 402

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm using stock OF on a normal EQ. Would like to seek some advice on the most favorable settings as stated below.
In setting, Volume: Normal or High ? Replay Gain Mode set to Song: Pre Gain @ what dB?
Also, please kindly enlighten me what these settings does and it's impact on SQ.
Sorry for the noob question and thanks all in advance

Normal should be fine for most headphones. The volume setting is simply a volume limit. The High setting makes it so that you can play your music louder than in Normal mode.

In theory, Replay Gain automatically corrects the loudness of  a song so that it plays at roughly the same volume level. I haven't used Replay Gain enough to tell you first-hand which decibel (dB) is good for Replay Gain, but I would assume you would set it depending on what tracks you plan on listening to. For example, some symphonic poems are loud at certain points, and really quiet at others. In this case, you might want to raise the dB level higher since the volume difference is so dramatic.

Quote:
Thanks for the link. If anything, this should be a great replacement for my lost Clip+ (RIP).

Do they auto-pause the music if I take out my earphones? I find it useful that my phone has that (didn't noticed it before LOL).

No, unfortunately. I don't think you can do that under Rockbox either, though I may be wrong.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #185 of 402
Hi miceblue, thanks for reply. Appreciate that. I just left the replay gain on Song @ 4.5dB which was preset on the zip when I enable the replay gain mode.
Another problem I encounter is that the player will hang when skipping to the next track. This happens twice yesterday and does not response when I click the play button but still can navigate to the other menu. I have to shut down and power up again to get to play again. What could be causing this problem? Anyone can help on this? Thanks in advance.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #186 of 402

Quote:
Hi miceblue, thanks for reply. Appreciate that. I just left the replay gain on Song @ 4.5dB which was preset on the zip when I enable the replay gain mode.
Another problem I encounter is that the player will hang when skipping to the next track. This happens twice yesterday and does not response when I click the play button but still can navigate to the other menu. I have to shut down and power up again to get to play again. What could be causing this problem? Anyone can help on this? Thanks in advance.

Hm, that's interesting.
1. What music file format(s) are you using? I'm using CD-ripped FLAC and 320kbps CBR MP3 files and they work just fine on my Clip Zip.
2. Are those particular tracks associated with any album art? If so, when using a separate file for album art, make sure it's under 100 kB in size.

Actually while playing FLAC files with long metadata tags (album, artist, etc.) and album art, the stock Clip Zip OS does seem to hang a second or two for me.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #189 of 402

Quote:
Hm, that's interesting.
1. What music file format(s) are you using? I'm using CD-ripped FLAC and 320kbps CBR MP3 files and they work just fine on my Clip Zip.
2. Are those particular tracks associated with any album art? If so, when using a separate file for album art, make sure it's under 100 kB in size.

Actually while playing FLAC files with long metadata tags (album, artist, etc.) and album art, the stock Clip Zip OS does seem to hang a second or two for me.

Hi miceblue, I'm using 320kbps CBR MP3 files and did not take notice of those tracks when it occurs. Will monitor for the time being and will made note of it when it does happens again.
All my ALAC/AAC/MP3 files are all gone along with my dead laptop hard drive about 2 weeks back and there was no backup done to any external source and these files I have right now are from my daughter's desktop. I'll will have start from zero to fill them up once my laptop's hard drive is replaced (under warranty).:frowning2:
Anyway, which ripper app would you recommend as I intend to re-rip to FLAC then convert them to ALAC, AAC or MP3.  Many thanks

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #190 of 402

Quote:
Hi miceblue, I'm using 320kbps CBR MP3 files and did not take notice of those tracks when it occurs. Will monitor for the time being and will made note of it when it does happens again.
All my ALAC/AAC/MP3 files are all gone along with my dead laptop hard drive about 2 weeks back and there was no backup done to any external source and these files I have right now are from my daughter's desktop. I'll will have start from zero to fill them up once my laptop's hard drive is replaced (under warranty).:frowning2:
Anyway, which ripper app would you recommend as I intend to re-rip to FLAC then convert them to ALAC, AAC or MP3.  Many thanks

Oh man, that's unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear the news about your laptop's hard drive. :/

Even though I own a Macbook, I almost exclusively use Exact Audio Copy on Windows for the most accurate rips. However, on Mac OS X, I think XLD, xACT, and Rip are decent CD-rippers.

For converters, I use Foobar with LAME MP3 on Windows. On Mac OS X I use either iTunes LAME with a slightly older LAME MP3 encoder or Max.

Just a warning about ALAC files with the Clip Zip, the stock OS doesn't support ALAC (I've tried), and it ends up playing random noises. With Rockbox however, ALAC files play perfectly fine.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #191 of 402

Quote:
Fair enough, considering that the Clip Zip have tactile controls that's easily reachable, compared to a touchscreen smartphone. Oh and considering I'm planning to buy them from ebay, what's the average price for an 8GB one? Don't want to get ripped off now do I?

An 8 GB model usually runs at around $50-$60 USD I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back