New Rio Carbon Firmware..."The Developer's Cut"
Mar 8, 2006 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

stargirl

Head-Fier
Have you guys SEEN this?
I have a Rio Carbon, and I was kind of sad that Rio went down the tube...but I don't have money to get a new player, plus I really love my Carbon. I was just surfing the net a few nights ago and I came across this new firmware!

It's Version 3.02 - The Developer's Cut.
Here's what's new:

"Now Playing" menu when you click the click wheel.

On The Go Playlists. (Picture)

Sleep Timer - pause or stop anywhere between 1 minute and 47 hours. (Picture)

Text (.txt) file viewer. (Picture)

Improved start-up time (was 17seconds with 1.95 firmware now 10seconds)

Faster integrating and finalising after adding new content (seems faster to me)

Choice of what happens when you only select 1 track - either just play that 1 track and stop or start from that track and continue to play the rest of the album.

Choice of what the stop button does - stop or pause.

Choice of pad being a play/stop button when locked.
(copied from brez at riovolution.com)

You have to reload all your music...or, apparently, there is a way around that if you read up on the other forums. I just reloaded some music since I tend to do that once a month anyways.

You can download it here. (right click & save as).
And you can read up on it here or here.

As soon as I saw that no one had said it screwed up their player, I downloaded it and put it right on my player. It makes my Carbon PERFECT. Before, I couldn't wait until it died so I could have a legit reason to ask my parents to get a new player...now I am dreading the day it dies... I mean seriously: syncing with no software, on the go playlists, and quality sound. It's all I need!!

If you have a Rio Carbon and you were sad about Rio closing...well, I highly reccomend this firmware update. It's awesome and it will make you excited about your Rio again!

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 13
This has been around for a while, at least over on the Riovolution board. If it was out about a year earlier I never would have given up my Carbon for a Karma. Though I do enjoy the extra space.

-Jeff

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 13
I also recommend this firmware version for your Carbon. It comes with two options that I have been waiting for: OTF playlist support and a sleep timer. I have been using it for almost two months without any problems.

I did note that after a transfer update, the sleep timer menu shows numeric codes for the functions stop and power off instead of the names of the functions. The menu straightens out after a power cycle.

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 13
Never knew this existed until today. Thanks a million!

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 13
I'm looking for a copy of the 3.02 firmware -- both the link posted in this thread and the one at Riovolution seem to be dead.

I'm a little leery of 3.04 because the Wkipedia page for the Carbon mentioned that MSC (USB mass storage) support is broken in 3.04, so reports to the contray would also be helpful.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 13
I have a Carbon with the 3.04 firmware and it seems to work just fine in MSC mode on Vista. I just deleted and copy/pasted some music onto it and they showed up just fine.

However, I seem to remember having bugs in the past, but now things are fine (oddly enough). That may have been in trying to transfer songs via WMP11, but, like I said, I don't remember exactly.

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who made this, since Rio is dead?
Also: any chance something like this could come out for the Karma?

It was made by a then Rio Developer as a final gift to Carbon owners. I have reason to believe it's the same person now working at TrekStor updating the vibez firmware. (Goes by the name Defector over at Riovolution.org).

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 13
Does anyone (defector?) have a link to the 3.04 Developer's Cut FW for the Forge? The content-type link is dead, and so is my forge!!!
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 512RioLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone (defector?) have a link to the 3.04 Developer's Cut FW for the Forge? The content-type link is dead, and so is my forge!!!
frown.gif

Don't know. You might want to post the question over on Riovolution.org. That's the only board I know he reads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back