New RHA IEMs: The MA750i and MA600i
Sep 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #61 of 542

Oh, believe me, I take manufacturers' claims with a large—or make that a HUGE—grain of salt... but still... you yourself even claimed RHA are (apparently) taking our feedback seriously which would be great if true, so while I take their graph with a pinch of salt, it may still be fairly close to the real thing. What's interesting to me (or more telling, if you like, and not in a good way), though, is the scaling, which makes the MA750 seem pretty flat up to 7.5k, and because of said scaling the HUGE dip above 7.5 Khz doesn't look so severe when, in actual fact, it actually is, hence my concern. The ER4S, as you well know, is much flatter in that region. Do you have issues with the ER4S in that area?

I'm very tempted to order the MA750s (the non-i version), if only because of a personal Scottish / Glasgow connection (great to see a British company, btw, doing something seemingly very, very decent in the world of IEMs), with apparent great build quality, a 3-year warranty and a cable-over-the ear fit for an £80-£90 product.

warrenpchi, never mind what I wrote yesterday (highlighted text above). I've just placed an order for the MA750s, but you should be warned that our cheerful sparrow's sole objective is to make Mr warrenpchi, RHA's shill enthusiast, look pretty bad and lose credibility (not unlike how Mr Currawong looked after his FXZ200 comments) after our ageing sparrow dude posts his impressions. Should you feel the need to retaliate after that, I suggest you mention music_4321's love for the Kings of Incoherence (aka the K3003s) and the "abominations" (aka the Piano Forte IXs) — that should give you plenty of ammunition to hit back.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #62 of 542

warrenpchi, never mind what I wrote yesterday (highlighted text above). I've just placed an order for the MA750s, but you should be warned that our cheerful sparrow's sole objective is to make Mr warrenpchi, RHA's shill enthusiast, look pretty bad and lose credibility (not unlike how Mr Currawong looked after his FXZ200 comments) after our ageing sparrow dude posts his impressions. Should you feel the need to retaliate after that, I suggest you mention music_4321's love for the Kings of Incoherence (aka the K3003s) and the "abominations" (aka the Piano Forte IXs) — that should give you plenty of ammunition to hit back.

^ LoL no one ever "mind" what you writes anyways cuz you're a grumpy old bird.
tongue.gif

LMAO is this what this is all about??? Many people get review samples here ALL the time but still manage to be honest with their opinions. Although some no doubt compromise their integrity by writing positive reviews despite their true feelings in order to satisfy their supplier, they would be eventually exposed once more impressions roll in. And once you are discovered as a tool you are pretty much marked for life and is done for. Warren is a mod here so it's pretty illogical for him to do such a stupid thing cuz the repercussions would be extra harsh if your "lighthearted" shill enthusiast accusation was indeed true.

Again the FXZ200s are good sounding iems and is damn capable/ competitive in their price bracket. Like with most new tech/gears the hype of these FXZ200s was a collective hype, currawong just simply brought attention to them initially cuz he was WOWed by them in an audio show. I even remember he stated somewhere that he was a novice to the iem game and his past interest/ experience was mostly with full size headphones. Therefore i took his impressions with a grain of salt as it should be with all impressions you read. This is the inter-web afterall!!!
deadhorse.gif

See birdie your statement above (twisted sarcasm maybe??? 
blink.gif
) has tainted my feelings toward your future impressions of these RHA iems cuz i now think you might have an ulterior motive here.
rolleyes.gif

edit: shoot i wouldn't mind getting review samples as well so i can hype the crap outta' them. j/k... not really.
very_evil_smiley.gif
But yeah if the gears does not sound great i wouldn't even give them the time of day listening to it, let alone waste time writing about them. That's just me though, stuff needs to be troll worthy in order to get my interest and you sparrow might just be semi-worthy. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #63 of 542

Originally Posted by warrenpchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(Just to point something out, Currawong may have raised interest about the FXZ phones, but it was the hype king Dsnuts who made them out to be unbelievably good.)

See, now it all makes sense! 
biggrin.gif

Oh, I get it now..... finally!........ Currawong & Dsnuts are one and the same person!  :wink:

Lol, no, that can't be.  Dsnuts is on a whole other level.  If he's right, then everyone here should just get $18 DACs and $7 IEMs and call it a day. 
rolleyes.gif

I'm very tempted to order the MA750s (the non-i version), if only because of a personal Scottish / Glasgow connection (great to see a British company, btw, doing something seemingly very, very decent in the world of IEMs), with apparent great build quality, a 3-year warranty and a cable-over-the ear fit for an £80-£90 product.

Ha!  I'm actually pretty curious as to what you think of them.  So far, I'm the only guy I know that has them, so I haven't been able to compare impressions with anybody. 
frown.gif
  I like what I'm hearing, which is enough for me I guess.  But I'm definitely missing out on the community aspect with this unit right now.  If you end up posting your impressions outside this thread, please shoot me a link so I don't miss it.

BTW, I think that if you were ever to talk to RHA, they'd tell you that I've been pretty hard to please with respect to their units.  I'd probably be one of worst people they could find if they were ever to look for a shill. 
biggrin.gif

Oh, before I forget, definitely let me know how your unit does with regards to driver flex.  I'm getting some flex, particularly with the right side, fairly regularly.  There's no impact on the sound so far, but I do get a bit of crinkle with every other insertion or so.  Curious as to whether you get the same.  Thanks! 
smile.gif

^ LoL no one ever "mind" what you writes anyways cuz you're a grumpy old bird.
tongue.gif

LMAO is this what this is all about??? Many people get review samples here ALL the time but still manage to be honest with their opinions. Although some no doubt compromise their integrity by writing positive reviews despite their true feelings in order to satisfy their supplier, they would be eventually exposed once more impressions roll in. And once you are discovered as a tool you are pretty much marked for life and is done for. Warren is a mod here so it's pretty illogical for him to do such a stupid thing cuz the repercussions would be extra harsh if your "lighthearted" shill enthusiast accusation was indeed true.

LOL, I have no idea, but I think it's a good thing that he's vigilant with me - or with anyone for that matter.  I don't mind it in the least.  I'm not very into hype myself.  And shilling (or essentially selling out) is pretty much something I just don't do.  As music gets to know me better, he'll find that out about me. 
smile.gif

See birdie your statement above (twisted sarcasm maybe??? 
blink.gif
) has tainted my feelings toward your future impressions of these RHA iems cuz i now think you might have an ulterior motive here.
rolleyes.gif

Oh I'm sure he's gonna be straight up with his impressions, so no worries there.  Besides, all the outliers get thrown out anyway when building a consensus.  So both the ultra-fanboy and the hater-gonna-hate impressions essentially do nothing to move the needle in the big picture.

edit: shoot i wouldn't mind getting review samples as well so i can hype the crap outta' them. j/k... not really.
very_evil_smiley.gif
But yeah if the gears does not sound great i wouldn't even give them the time of day listening to it, let alone waste time writing about them. That's just me though, stuff needs to be troll worthy in order to get my interest and you sparrow might just be semi-worthy. 
tongue_smile.gif

LOL, believe me, getting review units isn't always a good thing.  Sometimes, there isn't enough time in the day to cover everything that comes in, at least not in detail.  In the case of RHA though, I do like that they are very interested in heading in the right direction.  Each iteration winds up being better than the one before (i.e closer to what I like, and what I think other Head-Fiers would like, except for bassheads).

One of these days, they are gonna come out with something that absolutely floors me... and I'll have to tell them "stop right there, don't change a thing!"  Until that day comes, I'm more than happy to chronicle their steps up that ladder.  Maybe it's just me, but companies that make the effort should be rewarded over companies that just pump out the same ol' muddy crap generation after generation.  I'm not naming any names, but y'all know who you are!

BTW, as long as we're on this track, I might as well recap what RHA review units I've gotten thus far.  It's all in my post history anyway, but here's a concise summary:

1. MA350
  2. MA450i
  3. SA950i
  4. MA150 rev 1
  5. MA150 rev 2
  6. MA600i
  7. MA750i

Out of all those units, I have reviewed exactly NONE of them so far, lol. 
biggrin.gif
  The upcoming MA750i review will be the first one.

I've also purchased some RHA stuff separately at retail.  I bought an SA950i for a friend, and I bought some replacement tips because I like their tips (they seem to fit/isolate particularly well for me).

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #65 of 542
Now into hour 20 with the MA750i.  The bass response seems to have loosened up a bit, and it sounds warmer from mid-bass to through the lower mids.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #66 of 542
beerchug.gif
 on those MA750s. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #67 of 542
I am right..All the time..$18 dacs and $7 iems saves you money to buy more expensier things like cars and houses. I am doing my duty for the community. No?.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #69 of 542
I auditioned both. I really liked the 750i. Here's a picture I took:

I am too lazy to read through the whole thread, so sorry if I repeat what has been said before.

First off, the build quality is very good! I think they used stainless steel instead of aluminum. But it doesn't affect weight too much and proves to be very solid anyway. The cable is a bit too long for my taste but has a nice rubbery feel.

Second, comfort is very good too! I really like the over-ear design. The cable part over the ear is very flexible and basically just the normal extension without hardening. It's interesting how RHA managed the preform.

Finally, the sound is laid-back and smooth; very inoffensive and mostly linear. There is a bit sub-bass lacking and the highs take a dive. It doesn't bother too much but violins will definitely sound too dark. Soundstage is good for the price. You have all of the action presented in front of you with decent width and some space.
However, if you are expecting similar resolution to RE400 or GR07 then you will be very disappointed! It's all kinda blurry und clouded in comparison. If you're in for bang-for-buck only, these are not for you.

The mic and controls worked perfectly with my BlackBerry.

Now, the 600i is a different story. To be honest, I hardly gave it any chance. From the very first second I was bothered by some very bloated and muddy bass. I cannot recommend the 600 for this reason alone. For the price asked you can get two to three Sony MH1 - or a whole collection of better sounding budget IEMs.

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #71 of 542
  I am right..All the time.

LOL, OKAY! 
biggrin.gif

I auditioned both. I really liked the 750i. Here's a picture I took:

First off, the build quality is very good! I think they used stainless steel instead of aluminum. But it doesn't affect weight too much and proves to be very solid anyway. The cable is a bit too long for my taste but has a nice rubbery feel.

Second, comfort is very good too! I really like the over-ear design. The cable part over the ear is very flexible and basically just the normal extension without hardening. It's interesting how RHA managed the preform.

Finally, the sound is laid-back and smooth; very inoffensive and mostly linear. There is a bit sub-bass lacking and the highs take a dive. It doesn't bother too much but violins will definitely sound too dark. Soundstage is good for the price. You have all of the action presented in front of you with decent width and some space.
However, if you are expecting similar resolution to RE400 or GR07 then you will be very disappointed! It's all kinda blurry und clouded in comparison. If you're in for bang-for-buck only, these are not for you.

The mic and controls worked perfectly with my BlackBerry.

Thanks for adding your impressions Ultrazino! 
smile.gif
  I was beginning to think no one else was going to audition them anytime soon... especially considering that music_4321 went off and got himself banned somehow.

I'm definitely with you on the "smooth" and "inoffensive" impressions there.  It seems to be a generalist no?  Probably not the most optimal pair for specific genres, but I like that I can just throw these on and have it present a wide variety of genres generally well.

Regarding the pre-form, I think they used a different material for the "ear hook" portions of the cable.  On my pair, there's some sort of junction on each side, where the formed cable meets the normal cable.

Also, are you experiencing any driver flex with either unit? 

Now, the 600i is a different story. To be honest, I hardly gave it any chance. From the very first second I was bothered by some very bloated and muddy bass. I cannot recommend the 600 for this reason alone. For the price asked you can get two to three Sony MH1 - or a whole collection of better sounding budget IEMs.

Yeah, that one came out much bassier than I thought it would. 
frown.gif
  Still, reserving any judgment until after burn-in just to be safe.

Not very high resolution, dark treble? Soundstage only decent? That sounds kind of different from what other impressions had led me to think. 

Well, that's not exactly what he said, but some of that makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm not sure I agree with Ultrazino about how resolving or unresolving these are.  It's not a detail monster in the sense that it won't bombard you with all kinds of micro detail (like an RE-400 would).  But there are layers of detail behind some of the more forward elements - especially in the mids.  For example, I listen to a bit of Bluegrass/Newgrass now and then.  And the MA750i tends to present all of the various supplemental detail (string picking, sympathetic vibrations, etc.) of mandolins and banjos in just the right amount for me... which is to say not front and center, but as accompaniment.  I was surprised that it picked something I hadn't heard before in that Pet Shop Boys track though, that was quite unexpected.

The staging is highly source dependent, and continues to be somewhat of a mystery to me.  On some tracks, it is wide open.  On others, rather intimate.  For example, on live recordings, there's quite a bit a space along both axes.  But for electronic tracks, it's pretty closed-in.  So I'm getting a strange situation where It's not very consistent across all tracks in aggregate, but it is roughly consistent with individual tracks as I know them (or think they should be).  I believe the word I used was clairvoyant, but you get the idea.

I definitely agree with Ultrazino's impressions about the highs not being very prominent.  I myself said that they are "not groundbreaking in any way."  However, I really do like they way they roll off, which is to say gradually and not suddenly (which can be annoying as heck).

Keep the impressions coming guys! 
smile.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #72 of 542
I love the RE-400's but the cable noise with them has been driving me nuts. I'd like to find something for on the go use that's, in a similar price category and out of the same vein sonically with a somewhat laid back treble, decent mids and maybe even a bit more punchy bass. It sounds like the MA750i might be a contender but I haven't had any luck finding it anywhere in Canada as yet.

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #74 of 542
  Well, that's not exactly what he said, but some of that makes a lot of sense to me.

Not what I meant to say, anyway. 
biggrin.gif

Do not mistake, I think the 750i is a very good headset! It's a complete package with exceptional build and comfort. I also forgot to mention that RHA gives 3 years warranty - cable included.
I did not mean to say that (sub-bass and) highs are absent, I was just trying to give you an idea of the tonality. It is a decently linear sounding IEM.

All in all, the price is very competitive and I don't think this would have been possible a few years ago. We would be probably looking at an MSRP similar to HJE900 or Klipsch X1.

Still, I know there are some hifi-enthusiasts out there that run a 30 € headphone through a DIY amp that can rival some very expensive set-ups. Just to make sure, if you are one of those and detail retrieval is just as important as uncolored sound, you can find some better alternatives.
Personally, if I wouldn't own the RE400 already, I would have picked the 750 instead.

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #75 of 542
My MA750 finally came in today. The packaging is wonderful. I'll give some first-impressions a little later. I have big expectations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back