New RHA IEMs: The MA750i and MA600i
Sep 24, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #46 of 542
  But let's not talk about the K3K3 here...
redface.gif

You're such a killjoy.  :wink:

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #47 of 542
  Nice impressions Warren. Been lurking this thread since this morning.

Althought I'd probably not like their sound, these are aluminum. I do have quite a bit of an aluminum fetish. Just ask around.

Thanks! 
smile.gif
  What is it with you guys and metal?  You and a_recording both... or was it titanium that he was a big fan of?  Still, metal.

The 600 doesn't look nearly as nice as the 750 but I guess that's why we have to pay the big bucks. Aluminum + clear tips = great aesthetics (within the pic)

I do like the clear tips, but I'm terribly afraid of getting them dirty.  I have yet to meet translucent silicone that doesn't yellow with time.  I think I'll switch to some different tips soon, like the RHA dual-density tips.

Hehe, a tried and true method for auditioning stuff eh? 
tongue.gif

^ Man i am hurt that you see me in that light, welp not really but i don't buy things from retail stores just to audition them then return it. I BUY FROM THE SALES FORUMS HERE AND FLIP THEM DURRR!!!
wink.gif
Now THAT's a tried and true method. hoho Anywho the sales forum here is an amazing resource indeed and has save my butt many times. I just see it as helping out your fellow head-fier buying used and sticking it to The Man, or i am just a cheap person, you done decide. :)

Hey, we've all done it at one time or another!  Who are you that you're better than the rest of us! 
biggrin.gif
  C'mon now, you can't tell me you've been perfectly satisfied with ever online purchase you;ve ever made... some things should definitely be returned.  I don't think the MA750i will be one of them, but you know what I mean in principle.

Of course!  Well, I could always use more IEM experience (MUCH MUCH MORE) if you know what I mean. 
wink.gif
  But I think he's on the right track there.  I just wish he'd go into more detail - especially if that is his full review. 

Welp that noob iem birdie was the one who hyped those JVC FXZ200s and gave them that prestigious show award which got the hype train started on them. I am not saying these FXZ200s doesn't deserve the hype, but the initial hype was just too crazy. These are good basshead audiophile grade iems for sure but i wouldn't say they are as mind blowing amazing like others has claimed that's for sure. Anyway bad birdie bad for hyping these. haha

Wait, which IEM birdie are we talking about?  I thought we were talking about that Tuaw review that was posted?  Lemme know if I'm mistaken.

If we are talking about that review, then I have no idea what his level of experience is.  Can't say anything one way or the other about that.  But I can tell you that someone over there can't Photoshop to save their own life:

Don't get me wrong, I still like my UE900 in many ways.  But in the end, I would not be surprised at all if these ended getting more ear time with me. 
smile.gif

That's reassuring to hear that you would pick these RHA over the UE900s, though i have never heard anything from UE they sure ain't cheap and is highly regarded in the audiophile world so.... good to know where you stand.

Well the Triple.Fi - while generally well regarded - took some heat for being U or V shaped (depending on who was asked).  The UE900 was better, noticeably better, but there was something about it that didn't resonate with me as well as I thought it would.  I could easily chalk it up to unrealistic expectations, as I still enjoy the UE900 from time-to-time.

But IMO, these MA750i are hard to match because they are so well positioned.  One could say that they perform far above their price point, and I would concur.  Alternatively, one could say that these compete with units costing twice as much, for far less money.  And I'd agree with that as well.  Either way, on a very practical level, I imagine that I would be recommending these to more than a few people - assuming it met their needs and sound signature preferences.

Oh nos, the full review is gonna be flowery prose OVA' LOAD!!!
triportsad.gif
j/k..... not really.   I might steal some of your writing style for future write-ups, MAYBE.
tongue.gif
Can't wait for the full review, but do take your time with it though, no need to rush a good thang.

Lol, I'm sure that I'll be much more technical and restrained there.  But it will definitely be longer I can promise you that.

Yeppp i currently own RHA MA350s and they sound great indeed esp. for their low price. Their sound is easily on the upper $80s in value and is a lot better sounding than a lot of the budget-fi gears i have tried that's for sure. Oh that note since you have heard RHAs lower end models, how would you describe that timbre of these MA750s??? Cuz the MA350 tend to have a colder and artificial/ analytical-esque sound signature. Despite their pretty big and deep bass presence the MA350 does not sound all that natural to me in their presentation that's for sure.

Yeah, I would definitely agree with that on the MA350.  I was instantly a fan, not because it was some pinnacle of fidelity, but because it was just so damn fun to listen to.  In many ways, it was a guilty pleasure for me.

In many ways, the MA750i's tone - especially in the mids - remains relatively unchanged.  The main exception to that being that they are much smoother and more refined.  And that resulting smoothness, combined with the tighter low-end response, balances everything out better.  In other words, I think that the relative coolness in the MA350's mids~highs might have stood out more because they were in such contrast to the low-end's warmth.

For example, in listening to Lingering Still by She & Him, I don't find Deschanel's vocal cool or impersonal in the slightest.  In fact, I would say that she almost borders on being sultry at times.

SO how does the sound signature of these MA750s compare to the MA350s???

I happen to have one of the earlier MA350s... before they started adding the same filter that the MA450i came with.  So my pair might be a bit more aggressive and strident than yours.

Having said that, I would say this.  Tighten up the MA350's bass response so as to make it taut.  Then lessen it just enough so that it no longer bleeds into the lower mids.  Remove that grain and occasional harshness in the MA350's upper mids.  Soften the MA350's highs ever so slightly so as not to be splashy on certain tracks.  Now put a little fairy inside each housing to automatically tweak the soundstage to an optimal depth and width for each track.  And finally, improve the detail and separation so as to lessen congestion.  That's about it, in a nutshell.

Hehe, a tried and true method for auditioning stuff eh? 
tongue.gif
  I think that $129 for the MA750i is a steal.  An IEM with machined aluminum throughout, even in the y-splits and plugs, should cost way more than this.

It's actually stainless steel, which is even better ("the MA750i is constructed from individually machined stainless steel components").

Oops!  Sorry about that guys.  Thanks for the correction music! 
smile.gif

Very nice, concise and clear impressions.

Thank you Sir! 
smile.gif

My only concern, though, is the 25dB dip (!) from 7.5k all the way to ~15K. I think that may be a bit too polite.

Wait, what are we talking about?  Do you mean the manufacturer supplied graph?  I always take those with a grain of salt for obvious reasons, so much so that I tend to ignore them now.  I can say this though... if that was how they chose to avoid sibilance, it worked.

BTW guys, before I forget to mention this... both the MA600i and the MA750i have largely addressed the microphonics issue.  Those of you who have owned/tried previous RHA units know what I'm talking about.  Whereas the older models were some of the most microphonic units I've ever encountered, these new models are no better or worse in that department than what one would expect from competing units.  IOW, I no longer consider microphonics to be an issue.  Cheers!

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #49 of 542

Welp that noob iem birdie was the one who hyped those JVC FXZ200s and gave them that prestigious show award which got the hype train started on them. I am not saying these FXZ200s doesn't deserve the hype, but the initial hype was just too crazy. These are good basshead audiophile grade iems for sure but i wouldn't say they are as mind blowing amazing like others has claimed that's for sure. Anyway bad birdie bad for hyping these. haha

Wait, which IEM birdie are we talking about?  I thought we were talking about that Tuaw review that was posted?  Lemme know if I'm mistaken.

I believe Mr sfwalcer is referring to Mr Currawong, whose FXZ200 comments had a lot to do with some of the worst hype I've ever seen in my 5 years as a HF'er.

My only concern, though, is the 25dB dip (!) from 7.5k all the way to ~15K. I think that may be a bit too polite

Wait, what are we talking about?  Do you mean the manufacturer supplied graph?  I always take those with a grain of salt for obvious reasons, so much so that I tend to ignore them now.  I can say this though... if that was how they chose to avoid sibilance, it worked.

Oh, believe me, I take manufacturers' claims with a large—or make that a HUGE—grain of salt... but still... you yourself even claimed RHA are (apparently) taking our feedback seriously which would be great if true, so while I take their graph with a pinch of salt, it may still be fairly close to the real thing. What's interesting to me (or more telling, if you like, and not in a good way), though, is the scaling, which makes the MA750 seem pretty flat up to 7.5k, and because of said scaling the HUGE dip above 7.5 Khz doesn't look so severe when, in actual fact, it actually is, hence my concern. The ER4S, as you well know, is much flatter in that region. Do you have issues with the ER4S in that area?

I'm very tempted to order the MA750s (the non-i version), if only because of a personal Scottish / Glasgow connection (great to see a British company, btw, doing something seemingly very, very decent in the world of IEMs), with apparent great build quality, a 3-year warranty and a cable-over-the ear fit for an £80-£90 product.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #50 of 542

:)

Gotta love all those FR charts — pick your favourite K3003 graph (note not only where the dips and peaks 'appear to be' in each one but the dB differences):

^ Saweee this troll don't read doodle art graphs.
tongue.gif

... i have my massive sexy ears for a reason ya' know, and intend to make good use of them. Graphs are only one part of the story cuz it can only tell you so much so.......

I believe Mr sfwalcer is referring to Mr Currawong, whose FXZ200 comments had a lot to do with some of the worst hype I've ever seen in my 5 years as a HF'er.

Oh, believe me, I take manufacturers' claims with a large—or make that a HUGE—grain of salt... but still... you yourself even claimed RHA are (apparently) taking our feedback seriously which would be great if true, so while I take their graph with a pinch of salt, it may still be fairly close to the real thing. What's interesting to me (or more telling, if you like, and not in a good way), though, is the scaling, which makes the MA750 seem pretty flat up to 7.5k, and because of said scaling the HUGE dip above 7.5 Khz doesn't look so severe when, in actual fact, it actually is, hence my concern. The ER4S, as you well know, is much flatter in that region. Do you have issues with the ER4S in that area?

I'm very tempted to order the MA750s (the non-i version), if only because of a personal Scottish / Glasgow connection (great to see a British company, btw, doing something seemingly very, very decent in the world of IEMs), with apparent great build quality, a 3-year warranty and a cable-over-the ear fit for an £80-£90 product.

^ LMAO yeah i was referring to that birdie but the hype wasn't THAT bad. I mean it was over blown at the beginning as with most major/ new tech releases no doubt but i wouldn't say it's "some of the worst hype I've ever seen in my 5 years as a HF'er." The JVC FXZ200s are very competent and technically capable IEMs esp. if you are a sub bass lover, but i do agree that they did not live up to the crazy initial impressions posted by some. I still very much enjoy their very beefy, natural and powerful sound but it does get fatiguing for prolong listening sessions sadly. :/

@Warren

Thanks for the RHA comparos meng, so judging by those impressions is it safe to say that the MA350 and the MA750 both share a very similar "house sound"???

edit: speaking of hype: http://www.head-fi.org/t/683007/the-hype-appreciation-thread#post_9831515 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #51 of 542

I can't help it if people get unreasonably crazy about stuff I think is good, or very good. In the end, I bought a pair (from a regular store) and found they had too much bass for the music I liked and sold them. I'm pretty sure I pointed out that they have a LOT of bass and that their sound signature is very JVC in that manner. I ended up spending the next year trying to understand why it was some recent IEMs had impressed me so much. The answer was: They don't have the bad phase issues a lot of IEMs have that make especially percussion sound dead. I didn't realise this was the issue until Jerry Harvey explained it to me. More manufacturers are paying attention to this so it isn't so bad. 

The new Shures are similar in that they sound excellent, but I wouldn't buy them, as without hearing the other filters, they have too much bass for my tastes. However, if I go to the show this year and, yet again, I listen to some headphones or IEMs which impress me so much that everything afterwards sounds awful, even Stax gear, then there has to be a reason for that. If the technology in them is impressive (ie: not just a bunch of regular drivers shoved in yet another generic IEM) and the company sends the actual engineers to the show (like Sony and unlike another extremely famous manufacturer who sends only their junior sales staff) then that will only add to the positive impressions.

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #53 of 542

I can't help it if people get unreasonably crazy about stuff I think is good, or very good. In the end, I bought a pair (from a regular store) and found they had too much bass for the music I liked and sold them. I'm pretty sure I pointed out that they have a LOT of bass and that their sound signature is very JVC in that manner. I ended up spending the next year trying to understand why it was some recent IEMs had impressed me so much. The answer was: They don't have the bad phase issues a lot of IEMs have that make especially percussion sound dead. I didn't realise this was the issue until Jerry Harvey explained it to me. More manufacturers are paying attention to this so it isn't so bad. 

The new Shures are similar in that they sound excellent, but I wouldn't buy them, as without hearing the other filters, they have too much bass for my tastes. However, if I go to the show this year and, yet again, I listen to some headphones or IEMs which impress me so much that everything afterwards sounds awful, even Stax gear, then there has to be a reason for that. If the technology in them is impressive (ie: not just a bunch of regular drivers shoved in yet another generic IEM) and the company sends the actual engineers to the show (like Sony and unlike another extremely famous manufacturer who sends only their junior sales staff) then that will only add to the positive impressions.

^
... LoL

Yeppp a public show environment vs. the personal home one is a completely different experience that's for sure, so i completely understand where you are coming from. Like I said these FXZ200s are not bad sounding iems by any means, it was just that their initial hype was almost boarding insanity cuz of all that carbon nanotube/ carbon/ 3X triple dynamic driver hoopla, etc, etc. All this excitement for the new tech was then compounded by that grand show prize that was given which further hyped these up that's all. There was going to be a hype train for them regardless, since JVC fan bois like me were drooling over the mere thought of a 3X triple dynamic CNT iem. haha

But it does seem that JVC might be a one trick ponysadly, cuz just look at that SZ2000/1000 hype train. Folks were soooo hyped by it before their release but went completely dead afterwards. That was one of the strangest phenomenons i have experienced here at head-fi that's for sure. Like you stated, maybe it's cuz of the case of just have too much bass and people are kinda tired of bass cannons and what something a little bit more refined.

Anywho enough of this OT stuff, lets just hope that these RHAs really are as great as warren says they are so this hype train will blast off to mars. :)

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #54 of 542
Can you compare the 600 with the 350/450? Is the 600 bassier?

I'll try to do that in the next day or two... maybe I'll do one of those big charts again, but featuring the entire RHA line this time.  I've got my nose to the grindstone right now preparing stuff for CanJam.  But as a quick answer to your question - and from the best of my recollection - yes.  Decidedly so.

Lol, just goes to show what I know... I'm completely oblivious to that! 
biggrin.gif

My only concern, though, is the 25dB dip (!) from 7.5k all the way to ~15K. I think that may be a bit too polite

Okay, I see what you mean.  In that case, yes I can see how some would find it overly polite or somewhat laid back in that region.  Or to put it another way, I would not be surprised if people indicated that they heard a slight veil or lack of immediacy in that region.  I'm rather fine with it - which is rather surprising to me given what a fan of the GR8 and UE700 I am.  To put it in comparative terms, I would say that Beyer (DT880) fans should find it too dark for their tastes, while HD 650 fans would balk at the treble response.  I'm running Shigeto's new album through it right now - which tends to be more airy and atmospheric as far as electronic fare goes - and I'm not offended by the presentation.

RHA does seem to care quite a bit about what we think though.  I remember receiving a pair of MA150s, and immediately thinking "OMG DAT BASS" when I heard it.  That's what I ended up reporting here, and they seemed quite discontent with that assessment.  Hey, I gotta call it like I hear it.  That prompted them to refine it and introduce a running line change, which I then documented here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/671817/update-rha-has-released-a-new-revision-of-their-ma150-iem

I wouldn't say that I have any major issues with the ER-4 series in that region, no.  Though, I must admit, I do excuse much of the ER-4 simply because it is such a unique signature, and the unit does what it intends to do so well.  When I don either the ER-4S or ER-4PT, I more or less mentally prepare myself for the flatness to come. 
wink.gif

If you're at all curious, I'd give them a spin.  Outside of the RE-400, which is not everyone's cup of tea even if it is fantastic in it's own way, I'm hard pressed to pick out another unit around this price point that is as good an overall value.  Actually, now that I think about it, the result of a sordid and unholy union between an MA750i and RE-400 (for just under $200) would be a KILLER product.  I'd wrap my ears around that in a heartbeat.

I'm highly encouraged to see that such an effort from across the pond as well.  They are definitely on a steady march of continual improvement, which stands as a marked contrast to many manufacturers that like to handle development in a vacuum.  I don't think most companies realize what a valuable resource Head-Fi members can be.  We offer detailed feedback borne of experience that can only help them.  Thank God RHA realizes this, and capitalizes on it.

And since they're exhibiting at CanJam this year, I think more than a few Head-Fiers will finally get a chance to hear their units and report back with more impressions - always a good thing towards reaching a subjective consensus.

@Warren

Thanks for the RHA comparos meng, so judging by those impressions is it safe to say that the MA350 and the MA750 both share a very similar "house sound"???

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say very similar, but there's definitely a sense of lineage there.  It wouldn't take a stretch of one's imagination to see how the MA750i is a more highly-evolved MA350/MA450.  The MA600i on the other hand, seems to be a cousin, with the MA150 as an ancestor at some point.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #56 of 542

OH SNAP!  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by warrenpchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif 

But I can tell you that someone over there can't Photoshop to save their own life:

What are you talking about? I couldn't have done it better myself!
wink.gif

Lol! 
biggrin.gif

Hey, if anyone from Tuaw is reading this right now, it's called isolation and it's not rocket science.  Here's the original with a white backdrop.

And here is it isolated and placed against a black backdrop.

It only takes a few minutes, you can even write an action to help you do it efficiently.  It's called Photoshop fellas... learn it.

Anywho enough of this OT stuff, lets just hope that these RHAs really are as great as warren says they are so this hype train will blast off to mars. :)

Oh no please, let's not.  If this winds up being a rampant hype fest, I might have to lock this thread. 
tongue.gif

Actually, now that I think about it, the result of a sordid and unholy union between an MA750i and RE-400 (for just under $200) would be a KILLER product. I'd wrap my ears around that in a heartbeat.

Or, a "value pack" of both for $200 would make a great stocking stuffer!

Ha!  Fang would NEVER let that happen! 
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #58 of 542

Okay, I see what you mean.  In that case, yes I can see how some would find it overly polite or somewhat laid back in that region.  Or to put it another way, I would not be surprised if people indicated that they heard a slight veil or lack of immediacy in that region.  I'm rather fine with it - which is rather surprising to me given what a fan of the GR8 and UE700 I am.  To put it in comparative terms, I would say that Beyer (DT880) fans should find it too dark for their tastes, while HD 650 fans would balk at the treble response.  I'm running Shigeto's new album through it right now - which tends to be more airy and atmospheric as far as electronic fare goes - and I'm not offended by the presentation.

RHA does seem to care quite a bit about what we think though.  I remember receiving a pair of MA150s, and immediately thinking "OMG DAT BASS" when I heard it.  That's what I ended up reporting here, and they seemed quite discontent with that assessment.  Hey, I gotta call it like I hear it.  That prompted them to refine it and introduce a running line change, which I then documented here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/671817/update-rha-has-released-a-new-revision-of-their-ma150-iem

I wouldn't say that I have any major issues with the ER-4 series in that region, no.  Though, I must admit, I do excuse much of the ER-4 simply because it is such a unique signature, and the unit does what it intends to do so well.  When I don either the ER-4S or ER-4PT, I more or less mentally prepare myself for the flatness to come. 
wink.gif

Thanks for the clarification!

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #59 of 542
Sep 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #60 of 542
  (Just to point something out, Currawong may have raised interest about the FXZ phones, but it was the hype king Dsnuts who made them out to be unbelievably good.)

See, now it all makes sense! 
biggrin.gif

Oh, I get it now..... finally!........ Currawong & Dsnuts are one and the same person!  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back