New RHA IEMs: The MA750i and MA600i
Jul 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #467 of 542
Hey guys,
Been on the market for some new IEMs for EDM music, mainly dnb, tech-house, psy, techno. I've made my research and I've narrowed down the list to Yamaha EPH-100 , shure se215, beyerdinamic DX 160ie and rha ma750. Maybe there are better options, sadly these are the only ones for which I could find recommendations for edm music. Perhaps you could help me choose one of these, not really sure which one would deliver the best sound. Thanks

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #469 of 542
Hey guys,
Been on the market for some new IEMs for EDM music, mainly dnb, tech-house, psy, techno. I've made my research and I've narrowed down the list to Yamaha EPH-100 , shure se215, beyerdinamic DX 160ie and rha ma750. Maybe there are better options, sadly these are the only ones for which I could find recommendations for edm music. Perhaps you could help me choose one of these, not really sure which one would deliver the best sound. Thanks

Out of your list, I've got MA750 and EPH100. I much prefer the ergonomics of the EPH100. They're light, easy to insert, and stay in place well. However, I prefer the sound of the MA750. It's a much fuller, organic sound with nice bass extension and impact. The EPH100 sound a bit too flat to me - lacking in mids and without the nice bass extension and impact of the MA750. MA750 downside for me is the obligatory over ear fitment. I have small ears and the over ear section doesn't fit me well - have to keep adjusting it as it slides off my ears. Probably need to heat it up and remold for my ears.

I listen to a lot of electronic music myself (Autechre, Boards of Canada, Pan Sonic, etc.) and think you might also look into IEMs like Havi B3 Pro I or hybrids like Dunu DN1000 or the new T-PEOS Altone200. The B3 has nice, linear sound with good details and soundstage, but it's also obligatory over ear. DN1000 has a fun sound with fast bass, good mids, and sparkly highs with nice soundstage. Haven't heard the Altone200 yet (pre-ordered), but early impressions indicate similarities to DN1000 but with improved bass and a tad more aggressive highs.

The MA750 will be darker than the B3 and DN1000, with slower bass but more bass impact and smooth high end. I do enjoy the MA750 with electronic but find it's really in its element when I listen to something like Black Sabbath. That's a killer fit for the MA750 IMHO.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #471 of 542
Love 'em!
Super comfortable(stock tips fit just fine seal is great), no problem with my glasses. Rich full sound, can't wait to walk with them tomorrow and try a ton of different music.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #473 of 542
Just got my MA750i's, and I must say, compared to my old MH1's and UE500, they are definitely a step up. Much greater clarity and soundstage without sounding too clinical, a huge recommend from me. Several things so far (some nitpicking involved, so bear with me):

1. Don't know if it's just that my ears are abnormally shaped, but I can't get a very deep insertion with these. Don't get me wrong, they isolate great right now, especially with the large double-flanges, but it's not quite as deep as my MH1 or especially my UE500. Guess I just need to get used to it.

2. Would it kill to make the tips slightly easier to insert? I mean, if I'm given a tossup between ease but easy-to-fall-out (like my UE500), or stiff, then of course I'll choose stiff, but maybe don't go that overkill?

3. There's a slight hiss from my sources when I plug it into any source except a Fiio DAC (don't remember which, borrowed someone's). Again, just nitpicking, but if I really concentrate on it, I could somewhat hear it.

4. It's heavy. Not gonna lie, but I love it because it looks like I could beat someone to death with it, or if I have to choke them with the cables, again, pretty sure it's gonna hold. But it also means that, since I was spoiled with uber-light headphones for years, it's gonna take some getting used to.

5. I wear glasses, and it fits fine. I actually prefer to have it with my glasses on, as I can tuck the cable inbetween my head and frame, and 'lock' it even more securely on my ear.

6. Since my phone uses OMTP standard (as opposed to CTIA which the world now uses), I have to use a OMTP/CTIA adapter which flips the ground and mic around. I use this for my UE500, but when I use the adapter for my MA750, my phone doesn't detect the headset. Can you guys think of any reason why?

7. Case. Looks nice, but functionally not as great as a dedicated hard case. Strange why the MA600 would have a hard case, but this wouldn't. Still, if this looks as tough as I think it is, I don't think that'll be too big a problem, since cable shearing is gone when you have a case.

8. Tips were covered in lint when I opened the box. No big issue, just cleaned them out when I saw it, but you guys should really see why the hell that's happening.

9. Sound quality. I'm not the most descriptive person in the world, nor do I have the knowledge to describe the sound with some justice. The best I could come up with, is that the soundstage is much improved compared to my old earphones. I can hear minute details when my other earphones couldn't. Sibilance is there, but it's so damn minute with there's no EQ, it's a non-issue TBH. Mids are a bit repressed, but that's a given. Bass is there, a tad slow IMO, and it's obviously nothing like my mate's Beats Tours, but then again, I can hear vocals on my earphones.

One thing I've noticed with these, is that it's a bit of a mixed bag with crappy recordings: watching TV series, with their dreadful audio sampling, actually didn't sound dreadful at all. On the other hand, some Youtube music sounds as though it's off-phased (not quite, but you get what I mean).

10. Personally, I use an EQ to tidy up the bass a bit, and get rid of some of the bloat. However, compared to my older canalphones, the changes are much less drastic.

Since this is my first 'expensive' purchase, I don't really have a frame of reference to compare to. However, I would say, that listening to it for an entire day, then going back to my older canalphones, I can appreciate the attributes of it.

I would recommend that to anyone, but since all of my friends buy either Beats or generic $10 earphones, can't really recommend them to a friend (if anything, they'll scoff at me).

One thing, and this is directed at RHA: are there any places where I could grab your hard case in Australia? I'm considering grabbing one just in case I go nuts with it.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #475 of 542
for people having trouble with the tips, give the foam ones a try, they're really dreadful at the beginning, hard and uncomfortable, but they become really soft and mould to your ear well after a while.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #480 of 542
  Just got my MA750i's, and I must say, compared to my old MH1's and UE500, they are definitely a step up. Much greater clarity and soundstage without sounding too clinical, a huge recommend from me. Several things so far (some nitpicking involved, so bear with me):

One thing, and this is directed at RHA: are there any places where I could grab your hard case in Australia? I'm considering grabbing one just in case I go nuts with it.

Hey dazzerfong, thanks for the (detailed!) feedback. We've addressed a few things below.

2. The ear tip tightness is something we've had a lot of feedback on, both previously before we introduced dual density tips and since we started including them. The dual density construction tips were created to combat the issue of ear tips falling off, as well as ensure noise isolation, and though they can be tricky to change hopefully you'll get the knack for it and it won't be too much of an issue.

6. The adapter issue isn't one we've come across, we're going to fire you a PM to collect some more info and then check in with our engineers to see if they can offer any insight. Keep an eye on your inbox.

7. The premium case that accompanies the MA750/MA750i should be durable enough to protect the headphone, but we appreciate the feedback and will pass it on to the design team (along with some of your other notes).

8. We've recently received another report of a product arriving in less-than-pristine condition and we're currently investigating why this is. 

In regards to picking up a hard case, they should be available via http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/, but it's definitely worth using the case supplied to see how you get on with it.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back