New RHA IEMs: The MA750i and MA600i
Feb 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #376 of 542
Hi guys, first post be gentle...

I just brought the 750 and it arrived today, very impressed by package and build quality. Out of the box it sounds a little underwhelming but I give them some EQ and tried various type of music and I quite like them. Quick impression - Bass is the highlight, mids needs EQ, high needs EQ. The metal casing is little big for my ears, so they rub against my ears causing minor discomfort.( I am willing to put up with this as I like to sound overall and the design)

Issue 1: The clip for the cable was so tight in the packing was in so tight that it got damaged while trying to take it out. Even then I tried to put it on the cable and it just broke the bit that suppose to go round the cable... I was taking my time with it as well, i was going to forget about it but after walking around with the phones on I decided it was too heavy to not have a clip on cable ( I emailed RHA today via their customer services on their website and waiting for a response)

Issue 2: I seem to get a lot of driver flex on my left side, a little on my right but the left one just by touching it a little to readjust insert is making so much clicking sounds! I tried foam the came with it and 1 pair of silicon but no change. I then tried some Comply tips and just as bad. It was doing my head in and decided to see what the issue is and then came across "Driver Flex" which is exactly what I am experiencing and its driving me insane!! Surely I should request to get a replacement? ( I haven't Emailed RHA yet)

So the main question is should I get a replacement or just return it? I would hate to get a return and refund because I brought these after reading this thread and doing the research and the company is British. Plus the only one I would consider having instead is the DUNU 1000 that people here are raving about.

Just a little on what I have and use:

Fostex HP-A3 DAC and AMP
Denon D2000
Denon D7100
Denon D-M39DAB
Soundmagic E10 (Left side died, Hence the RHA)
Sony MDR-V700 (3 pairs, don't ask...) 

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #377 of 542
  Hi guys, first post be gentle...

I just brought the 750 and it arrived today, very impressed by package and build quality. Out of the box it sounds a little underwhelming but I give them some EQ and tried various type of music and I quite like them. Quick impression - Bass is the highlight, mids needs EQ, high needs EQ. The metal casing is little big for my ears, so they rub against my ears causing minor discomfort.( I am willing to put up with this as I like to sound overall and the design)

Issue 1: The clip for the cable was so tight in the packing was in so tight that it got damaged while trying to take it out. Even then I tried to put it on the cable and it just broke the bit that suppose to go round the cable... I was taking my time with it as well, i was going to forget about it but after walking around with the phones on I decided it was too heavy to not have a clip on cable ( I emailed RHA today via their customer services on their website and waiting for a response)

Issue 2: I seem to get a lot of driver flex on my left side, a little on my right but the left one just by touching it a little to readjust insert is making so much clicking sounds! I tried foam the came with it and 1 pair of silicon but no change. I then tried some Comply tips and just as bad. It was doing my head in and decided to see what the issue is and then came across "Driver Flex" which is exactly what I am experiencing and its driving me insane!! Surely I should request to get a replacement? ( I haven't Emailed RHA yet)

So the main question is should I get a replacement or just return it? I would hate to get a return and refund because I brought these after reading this thread and doing the research and the company is British. Plus the only one I would consider having instead is the DUNU 1000 that people here are raving about.

Just a little on what I have and use:

Fostex HP-A3 DAC and AMP
Denon D2000
Denon D7100
Denon D-M39DAB
Soundmagic E10 (Left side died, Hence the RHA)
Sony MDR-V700 (3 pairs, don't ask...) 

Hey Angry Egg, welcome to Head-Fi!

Glad you're enjoying the MA750i overall, sorry you've had a couple of little annoyances with them. If you've contacted our team about the cable clip - please do mention driver flex when they get back to you - it shouldn't be happening and we'd happily get a replacement out to you asap.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Kind Regards,

RHA

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #378 of 542
Just thought I would share a finding on tips with the MA750s. I know RHA gives us a great many tips but I had a pair of Sennheiser Bi-Flange tips from some older IE-80s laying around. These tips fit perfectly and have a larger opening that any of the tips in the RHA selections. They also position the nozzle closer to the edge of the tip. All of this leads to a more sparkly top end and better details for me. I have always been a Comply user but they seem to kill any of the magic I hear with these IEMs. When I was looking for something that would seal similar to the Complys I knew I would have to move toward the bi or Tri Flange area but the RHA versions just didn't fit. When I stumbled on these, they fit very well but also improved the overall sound IMO.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #379 of 542
These are my new work-out earphones.  

For years I've used the Ety4s (and the ER6 before that) at the gym with great satisfaction .  They have great isolation (saved me from listening to the grunting in the free weights area) and the cord is tough (salt/sweat is surprisingly corrosive over time).  

Two major drawbacks.  One, the microphonics drove me mad.  I tried various clips, etc. but the up and down of aerobic exercise and the rubbing on weight machines made the noise awful at times. Two, while I like the overall Ety sound, it lacked a bit with rock and roll (works great for classical/jazz, but I don't listen to that at the gym).  Various fixes included the Headstage amp with a bass boost and the FiiO X3 with the bass bumped up a couple of steps.  Still, the Rolling Stones always sounded a bit too polite.

The RHA bump up the bass and are just a generally fun sounding earphone.  Also, the build seems tough enough for the gym.  The cord is thick and doesn't tangle easily.  The over the ear mold works better then any other over the set-up that I've used.  All this eliminates any microphonics.  Surprisingly, isolation is on par with the Ety's, always known for being the best isolation earphone on the market.

I'm liking comply tips over the silicone tip provided.  This deadens the treble a bit (as is usually the case with Comply tips) but a two step bump up on the Fiio X3 solves this problem.  Fit is good with the Comply eartips. 

One of my tests for a good earphone is whether it is distracting while listening to music I've heard a thousand times before.  Yesterday, while listening to Steely Dan's Katy Lied, I found myself closing my eyes and just listening.  Looking forward to future use!

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #380 of 542
I got my 750s yesterday and am pleasantly surprised by the amount of isolation I'm getting with the earphone, particularly the foam tips.  I was expecting average isolation at best but they isolate even better than the SE215 and the sound quality is miles ahead.   I haven't really tried many earphones in this price range since getting my SE215 a few years ago so I'm amazed by what this much money gets you nowadays.  Nice job RHA.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #381 of 542
I'll start off by saying I love my RHA MA750i's - I love the sound quality and the noise isolation. But it seems like whenever I'm changing my sitting position at work the left driver (only the left, never the right) makes a popping noise or it feels like it's kind of shocking me.  The funny thing is that I can't replicate it when I try to make it occur, it's only when I'm just casually moving around not trying to cause it to happen. It's also not when I first insert the earphone so I'm not certain it's driver flex ( but I could just be misinterpreting what it really means and it's effect ).  Any suggestions? I definitely don't want to return these bad boys as they're the first IEM that I truly can bear to listen to after I've had the pleasure of listening to my LCD-2s and HD650s.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #382 of 542
  I'll start off by saying I love my RHA MA750i's - I love the sound quality and the noise isolation. But it seems like whenever I'm changing my sitting position at work the left driver (only the left, never the right) makes a popping noise or it feels like it's kind of shocking me.  The funny thing is that I can't replicate it when I try to make it occur, it's only when I'm just casually moving around not trying to cause it to happen. It's also not when I first insert the earphone so I'm not certain it's driver flex ( but I could just be misinterpreting what it really means and it's effect ).  Any suggestions? I definitely don't want to return these bad boys as they're the first IEM that I truly can bear to listen to after I've had the pleasure of listening to my LCD-2s and HD650s.

Do the mic/controls run up the left hand side? It might be causing some interference briefly.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #384 of 542

Hey eostoich,

That's an interesting situation - one we've not encountered before with any of our products. If you drop the team a message they'd like to find out a bit more about the issue.

Thanks,

RHA

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #385 of 542
After using it for a week, I continue to be impressed by the earphone but I'm not liking the cable so much and it's my only real complaint.  It's flexible and has a premium (for want of a better word) feel to it but the grippy nature of it can be problematic.  If the cable is slightly tangled (but not knotted) gently pulling it apart doesn't work because it won't become undone and it drags on whatever surface it's on.  The advantages of such a texture aren't clear to me and I'm sure they have their reasons but perhaps RHA can take some of this into consideration for future models.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #386 of 542
I agree about the cord, it is a bit grippy.  I run it through a belt holster and need to pull it a bit when using the DAP, and it isn't smooth.  However, this is a minor complaint.  The surface is similar to the handles on many aerobic machines at the gym, so there must be some reason relating to durability.  The lack of microphonics is tremendous, esp. compared to my Ety4s.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #387 of 542
Thanks for the feedback guys - the cable on the MA750i was chosen for a number of reasons, both aesthetic and structural, but we appreciate that it might not be to everyone's tastes. I've passed these comments back to our product development team - we really appreciate getting constructive feedback on our products and are always looking at new technologies and materials that we might be able to use to improve existing products, or use in future products.

Thanks again!

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #388 of 542
  we really appreciate getting constructive feedback on our products and are always looking at new technologies and materials that we might be able to use to improve existing products, or use in future products.

This is true. 
smile.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #390 of 542
I gave these a listen again the other day too (gave them to my girlfriend, even though she doesn't appreciate the quality hehe) and am still impressed with the sound. Clearer than I remember with great body to the sound, yet subtle details still audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back