New releases from Meelec: HT-21 Portables, CC51 Ceramic IEMs, A151 Armatures
Nov 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 89
Quote:
The CC is definitely a bit of a sonic departure for Meelec being a more consumer-friendly sound than the light-on-mids, heavy-on-treble M9/M6. It's an interesting earphone and one that should compete fairly well at the higher price. Based on what I heard out of it, it should be a lot less polarizing than MEE's other models.

Thanks ljokerl.  That sounds quite promising!  Did you get a chance to try out the HT-21?

Quote:
The multi-tier quoting is a new feature and it's actually pretty annoying. I'm not sure why they changed it.

Agreed.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 89
The addiem was the first earphone that popped into mind when I saw their new earphone :p I thought the M6 and M9 had plenty of bass?

The multi quote feature used to be there when we were using the older forum but it's back and pretty annoying when people starting quoting a post that already has quotes.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #18 of 89

Quote:
Thanks ljokerl.  That sounds quite promising!  Did you get a chance to try out the HT-21?

Yes, I tried the HT-21. Considering it's a closed supraaural in the $40 range it doesn't really have that much competition (Denon AH-P372, Soundmagic P20, a few Philips sets...). It's pretty strong at the low end but with good mids and highs. Warm, smooth, etc. Impressive sense of space, too, but the real selling point for me is the user-friendliness - reminds me of the Panasonic Slimz which sounded mediocre but were so portable and comfortable that I loved them anyway. Definitely a good closed alternative to the PortaPro/PX100 crop.

Quote:
The addiem was the first earphone that popped into mind when I saw their new earphone 

Indeed - they are roughly the same size and shape. Major difference is that the dual armatures of the ADDIEM sit deep inside the earphone and it has a skinny nozzle. With the CC51 the 6-mm driver is right at the end of the earphone so those with smaller ear canals might have some trouble with fit. They are much nicer to the touch than the plastic apples, though.

Quote:
I thought the M6 and M9 had plenty of bass?

Yeah but that's unchanged with the CC51 so not really a departure.

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 89
Quote:
Yes, I tried the HT-21. Considering it's a closed supraaural in the $40 range it doesn't really have that much competition (Denon AH-P372, Soundmagic P20, a few Philips sets...). It's pretty strong at the low end but with good mids and highs. Warm, smooth, etc. Impressive sense of space, too, but the real selling point for me is the user-friendliness - reminds me of the Panasonic Slimz which sounded mediocre but were so portable and comfortable that I loved them anyway. Definitely a good closed alternative to the PortaPro/PX100 crop.

I may have to give those a listen (after your review, of course!).  I've recently had a reawakening when it comes to portable headphones; ever since I snatched a cheap pair of refurbished HD218s, it has garnered most of my head time, along with the extended listening of my old favorites like the KSC75 and PX100.  While I'm pretty sure I won't find something that I'll like as much as my CALs (which are decidedly less portable), I'm still determined on finding my go-to portable for times when my ears are tired of canalphones and IEMs.

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #22 of 89
@ljokerl
 I am in the market for new portables under $50. I went through your review thread but couldn't find any cans that really suited me. Should I wait for these meelec HT-21, get the Senn HD218, or another that you recommend??

I listen to electro, dubstep, some hip-hop, and regional mexican music, much of which is similiar to country. Thanks for your help bud.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #24 of 89

Quote:
@ljokerl
 I am in the market for new portables under $50. I went through your review thread but couldn't find any cans that really suited me. Should I wait for these meelec HT-21, get the Senn HD218, or another that you recommend??

I listen to electro, dubstep, some hip-hop, and regional mexican music, much of which is similiar to country. Thanks for your help bud.

I've never heard the HD218 but I think the HT-21 is about on-par with the HD228 in terms of sound-quality. It does isolate more and seems to be built a little better so I'd pick the Meelec set any day. The HT-21s are bass-heavy phones but overall balance is still good. Plus they don't clamp very hard so a bit of the bass is lost (same story with HD228 actually). I think their strongest selling point is the soundstage which is quite decent for a close and generally aggressive-sounding portable. I've only compared them directly to the ATH-FC700 so far and they make the Audio-Technicas sound muddy and congested. I've got some more serious comparisons lined up against things like the AKG K430 and dbLogic SPL2. Hoping to have the full review added to my review thread next Monday.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #25 of 89

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
The addiem was the first earphone that popped into mind when I saw their new earphone 

Indeed - they are roughly the same size and shape. Major difference is that the dual armatures of the ADDIEM sit deep inside the earphone and it has a skinny nozzle. With the CC51 the 6-mm driver is right at the end of the earphone so those with smaller ear canals might have some trouble with fit. They are much nicer to the touch than the plastic apples, though.

Quote:
I thought the M6 and M9 had plenty of bass?

Yeah but that's unchanged with the CC51 so not really a departure.

I just got my M6s and while I get it, too much bass for me. Merry Xmas
bigsmile_face.gif
 Stocking stuffer to a niece or nephew.  Nice shot of the cc, you can see the vent.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #26 of 89

Quote:
Quote:
@ljokerl

I've never heard the HD218 but I think the HT-21 is about on-par with the HD228 in terms of sound-quality. It does isolate more and seems to be built a little better so I'd pick the Meelec set any day. The HT-21s are bass-heavy phones but overall balance is still good. Plus they don't clamp very hard so a bit of the bass is lost (same story with HD228 actually). I think their strongest selling point is the soundstage which is quite decent for a close and generally aggressive-sounding portable. I've only compared them directly to the ATH-FC700 so far and they make the Audio-Technicas sound muddy and congested. I've got some more serious comparisons lined up against things like the AKG K430 and dbLogic SPL2. Hoping to have the full review added to my review thread next Monday.

Sweet. Thanks dude, I'll be waiting to see that review. I'm sure it'll be as good as all the other ones you do. Can't wait for these now!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #27 of 89
Quote:
I just got my M6s and while I get it, too much bass for me. Merry Xmas
bigsmile_face.gif
 Stocking stuffer to a niece or nephew.  Nice shot of the cc, you can see the vent.

The vent actually poses a bit of a problem - when using long bi-flange tips it is possible to pull them back over the vent which is not a good idea. Not sure if bi-flanges will be included with these though.

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #29 of 89
hey, ljokerl. is that review for the ht 21's comin' out tomorrow? I've been anxiously awaiting it
tongue_smile.gif
 I need a pair of portables, so hopefully they turn out to be great... :D

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #30 of 89

Quote:
hey, ljokerl. is that review for the ht 21's comin' out tomorrow? I've been anxiously awaiting it
tongue_smile.gif
 I need a pair of portables, so hopefully they turn out to be great... :D

Working on it but no guarantees - might have to push it back to Tuesday. I've got code that refuses to run, which has taken up 85% of my weekend thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back