New Releases 2012 - No Records Released Before 2012
Jul 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #46 of 102
Another "new" Rolling Stones live album is being released today:

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #47 of 102
Well, here is yet another new 2012 release to add to the mix. I've just discovered the new release by Monolake called Ghosts. This is my first experience listening to anything by Monolake, and it is really blowing my mind! The album is available for download in various formats including FLAC and .mp3 here at Linn Records. You can also find it on Spotify and tracks are circulating on YouTube. On the Linn Records website, it refers to this album as "paranormal electro-beats," and that's a pretty good description. This album is so experimental and out there, it barely qualifies as music.

If you think Pink Floyd captured the feeling of traveling to the moon or another planet with Wish You Were Here or The Dark Side Of The Moon, well this record takes it to a whole different level!  Pink Floyd is more like songs about traveling to the moon. This record is like what it might sound like if you were actually standing on the surface of another planet just listening! If you want to try some space travel, just strap on your headphones and take this one for a ride!

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #49 of 102

Awesome Punjabi Song related to sad genre.

Themoviesdatabase.com

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #50 of 102

Swans - The Seer

Absolutely amazing album. I am floored by how creepy and full of emotion the entire thing is. 2 hours of fantastic music. The title track is 32 minutes long (!!). I bought the 3 LP set and 3 songs take up 3 entire sides. I wouldn't suggest listening to it in the dark with your back to anything but a wall though. I did early this morning and kept turning around. Scared there was something behind me. Second favorite album to come out this year, easily.

Quote:
I haven't listened to the new Norah Jones album yet. I'll make sure to check that one out.

I actually own the LP but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Hopefully soon.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #51 of 102
Quote:

Swans - The Seer

Absolutely amazing album. I am floored by how creepy and full of emotion the entire thing is. 2 hours of fantastic music. The title track is 32 minutes long (!!). I bought the 3 LP set and 3 songs take up 3 entire sides. I wouldn't suggest listening to it in the dark with your back to anything but a wall though. I did early this morning and kept turning around. Scared there was something behind me. Second favorite album to come out this year, easily.

I actually own the LP but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Hopefully soon.

I saw your other post in the "What Are You Listening To Right Now?" thread earlier this morning. I started listening to Swans - The Seer on Spotify after you answered the question about what the picture was. I'm finding it very interesting so far and liking it. I'm definitely going to spend some time with it. I'm already getting into it!

By the way, Norah Jones' "Little Broken Hearts" is my favorite record of the year so far, and I'm the last person I thought would ever like Norah Jones. I only found it because of this thread and now I think it's great! I like it so much I went and bought the 24-bit version from HD Tracks.

Thanks for the tip on "The Seer." 
smile.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #52 of 102
Quote:

As always - we seem to share similar taste :)  Have been really enjoying DTTD also.  Didn't know about the Joe Walsh release.  Listened to a couple of tracks tonight.  Will be buying off HD Tracks the next time they have a promo.  thanks!

And here's one in return - released Feb 2012 I think:

Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

Interesting mix of bluesy rock - intertwined with Lanegan's 'rough and edgy' vocals - I really like it - particularly with the Grados.

I'm realizing I have neglected to maintain my own thread. I'm not sure if it was from your post, but I ended up buying The Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral awhile ago and that is my other "top two" pick of the year so far. I really like it! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #53 of 102
It's a very strange album, but I was really floored the first time I listened all he way through. It's just so wonderfully dark. Also, just a heads up. If you buy direct from the record label (Young Gods) all the physical copies of this and their other albums come signed, and at same as Amazon prices.

I a little upset that I didn't realize this before I bought the Amazon LP copy. I think I'll get the CD signed sometime down the road. 

Nice to hear high praise for the new Norah album. I loved Come Away WIth Me. I have the SACD, regular CD (it was a gift), and the 24/192 download. 

Quote:
I saw your other post in the "What Are You Listening To Right Now?" thread earlier this morning. I started listening to Swans - The Seer on Spotify after you answered the question about what the picture was. I'm finding it very interesting so far and liking it. I'm definitely going to spend some time with it. I'm already getting into it!

By the way, Norah Jones' "Little Broken Hearts" is my favorite record of the year so far, and I'm the last person I thought would ever like Norah Jones. I only found it because of this thread and now I think it's great! I like it so much I went and bought the 24-bit version from HD Tracks.

Thanks for the tip on "The Seer." 
smile.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #54 of 102
Quote:
It's a very strange album, but I was really floored the first time I listened all he way through. It's just so wonderfully dark. Also, just a heads up. If you buy direct from the record label (Young Gods) all the physical copies of this and their other albums come signed, and at same as Amazon prices.

I a little upset that I didn't realize this before I bought the Amazon LP copy. I think I'll get the CD signed sometime down the road. 

Nice to hear high praise for the new Norah album. I loved Come Away WIth Me. I have the SACD, regular CD (it was a gift), and the 24/192 download. 

I'm loving this album, thanks. It doesn't creep me out so much as make me uncomfortable (completely based on the key/drone elements, two ways to make most humans nervous in horror movies too!) but the amount of craftsmanship in this album is apparent even on the first couple tracks.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, they definitely have an avant garde feel on this album, reminiscient of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (or SGM of them).

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #55 of 102
Yeah I guess a better way to describe it is definitely uncomfortable rather than 'scary'. 

As for the style...Swans has been around since the 80s but only got back together into the band they are now in 2010. I'm getting more and more into what I'd call 'light' drone music like this.

Quote:

I'm loving this album, thanks. It doesn't creep me out so much as make me uncomfortable (completely based on the key/drone elements, two ways to make most humans nervous in horror movies too!) but the amount of craftsmanship in this album is apparent even on the first couple tracks.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, they definitely have an avant garde feel on this album, reminiscient of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (or SGM of them).

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #56 of 102
Well, the 2012 New Releases just keep rolling in. One brand new album released yesterday is definitely hitting my playlist.

Guitar demi-God J. Mascis and company return with Dinosaur Jr.'s brand new one:

Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet On Sky

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #57 of 102
Just realised I hadn't posted in this thread for a while, but have definitely acquired some more great albums released in 2012.  I don't think these have been mentioned yet .......

• Train - "California 37"

S
    aw that the reviews were pretty mixed - but bought it anyway, and I actually find it upbeat and pretty catchy.  Perfect for the car - largely upbeat, kind of poppy - but enjoyable.  I'm a Pat Monahan fan (genuinely enjoy his voice and quirky lyrics) - so no regrets for the purchase.  No real standout tracks, and will never rise to the heights of "Drops Of Jupiter" - but good enough for travelling music.

• Portico Quartet - "Portico Quartet"

One of my favourite purchases in 2012.  Portico Quartet is a fusion of electronica and experimental jazz that is ethereal, bewitching, and just so easy to get lost in.  Standout track for me - and there are no bad ones on the album IMO - is "Ruins".  For a quick listen - try this link ...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQH0GPL33uc

• Beth Orton  - Sugaring Season

Actually found out about this one in the "What are you listening to right now" thread (many thanks to the Wuss for posting it).  Searched on youtube and found a couple of tracks from the album - and was instantly hooked.  Would probably be classified as folk or maybe alternative as far as genres go.  Beth's voice to me is both haunting, yet powerfully compelling.  I'm still getting used to the album, but becoming more impressed every time I listen to it.  Here's the track that hooked me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acR9cz8ZOKw

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #58 of 102
Well, it's time to add another album to this list:

Iris DeMent - Sing the Delta

I had never heard of Iris DeMent, but I checked this one out just because it was on a list of new releases. Apparently, it is her first new release in 16 years! It's only been out since October 2nd, but I'm hooked on this record. It should appeal to fans of American roots music, traditional country, or Americana. She reminds me of Lucinda Williams, Loretta Lynn, or maybe The Band if they had had a female singer. The album contains excellent original songs and Iris is accompanied by what is obviously a top-notch band. It would not surprise me at all if this record gets a Grammy nomination somewhere down the line.

Listen to it on Spotify here:
Iris DeMent – Sing the Delta

Listen to it on MOG here:
Iris DeMent - Sing the Delta

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #60 of 102
A lot of great releases this year,. I have a couple more to add to the list but I'll start with this one, dueling guitars ala the Allman Brothers Band from Devon Allman and Mike Zito. Some percussion from Cyril Neville. All three providing some vocals, Derek Trucks alum Yonrico Scott on drums and Charlie Wooton rounding out the rhythm section on bass. This is a really good record. I'm going to need to see these guys live.

Royal Southern Brotherhod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back