New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
May 17, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #361 of 625

That sounds pretty cool although there is a lot more bass than I expected but I have a good seal as is. I think if I do get these pads it will be after a long while so it can be like getting a new set of cans again and be an exciting upgrade. Im trying out one of those pink noise burn in videos on youtube now while I go out and do some stuff. These are pretty good but I would be mad if I spent $300 on them.

May 18, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #362 of 625
Finally have mine at work and I've been A/Bing against my old-school MTH-A50s.  (Not even the new hotness.)

Bass doesn't hit nearly as hard as the M50s.  Brighter, and bigger soundstage as expected. My partner loves his pair (he listens to mostly classical and jazz) - huge upgrade for him.  I'm not sure I'd call these an upgrade against the ATH-M50s.  More like two great pairs of cans with different signatures.

May 18, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #363 of 625
  Finally have mine at work and I've been A/Bing against my old-school MTH-A50s.  (Not even the new hotness.)

Bass doesn't hit nearly as hard as the M50s.  Brighter, and bigger soundstage as expected. My partner loves his pair (he listens to mostly classical and jazz) - huge upgrade for him.  I'm not sure I'd call these an upgrade against the ATH-M50s.  More like two great pairs of cans with different signatures.

After some burn in I'm liking them a lot more now which is what I thought might happen. Going to do some more still but like what I hear so far. Using some 8 hour burn in videos on youtube.

May 18, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #365 of 625
Just curious - what changes are you hearing?

I'm not the best to ask this kind of question. But I feel like it has toned down the harshness in treble like I hoped it would. Over all smoother and maybe more soundstage. I know they are closed so I shouldn't expect too much soundstage but at first I wasn't hearing what others were saying, now I'm starting to hear it. I did a search and it seems that at least one other person felt the same about the treble. Only done about 16 hours of burn in with 2 different 8 hour tracks, one pink noise and the other sweeps. And probably a few hours of listening.

This morning I tested with this and was pretty blown away. Free and 24 bit: https://laurendesberg.bandcamp.com/album/sideways

May 18, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #367 of 625
Do you find the bass pops out a bit more now that the treble is smoothed out? I thought they were pretty bass light at first but was surprised after a couple nights of burnin to find them thumpin'
L3000.gif

Mine were thumping right out of the box so that was another thing people said I couldn't figure out. Maybe different heads are just getting different seal or distance from drivers. First thing I thought was "Neutral? Highs are killing me and there is plenty of bass!". But its quality bass, not just a thudding vibration but actual bass sound.

May 18, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #371 of 625
No one can answer?
frown.gif

Akg Pro website still says "USA only". I have a feeling that the only way you are going to see them in europe/abroad is from a third party (aka non-authorized dealer).

May 19, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #372 of 625
  Akg Pro website still says "USA only". I have a feeling that the only way you are going to see them in europe/abroad is from a third party (aka non-authorized dealer).

That isn't really true because the Massdrop was available all over.

May 19, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #373 of 625
That isn't really true because the Massdrop was available all over.

No it wasn't. Read the details again.

"Because of strict distribution agreements, Massdrop cannot sell-or-ship this product outside the United States. Understanding that there is demand for this product outside of the US, we have negotiated exclusive pricing with a freight forwarding service to help certain individuals join this drop. If you join, please understand that you are purchasing this product and it will be delivered to a US address. It will then be processed for international shipping by a third-party forwarding company. Tracking will be provided."

May 19, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #374 of 625
Yeah but you are still buying it from an authorized retailer, just not in Europe and not directly. :) Doing  a 3rd wave of burn in now with 8 hours of 150 hz static.

Because I know there are so many different methods and files and such, I was lazy and went with one of the first things I found so Im using this set of 3 and following the guidelines roughly. Last night I did the first 2 almost back to back while it says do one a night.

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=3337204&hl=

Tried this out and it sounds cool to me.

https://youtu.be/qqSeaaa9m5s?t=2m28s

May 19, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #375 of 625

I hope so.  Because comparing them to my M50s I'm wanting moar bass.

I'm no audiophile, but from reading here and there don't the m50s have more bass than most headphones people would rate really high here? That's what the impression I've always had. Coming from HD555s these have plenty of bass for me and I like to listen to a lot of hip-hop and EDM.

I'm still debating on purchasing the Alpha pads for these. Either that or wait for Massdrop to have the K7XX back again. My damn phone updated and stopped giving me email notifications so I missed the last 200 sold :frowning2: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back