NEW! Redesigned 2013 Beats by Dre Studio v2 in RED & WHITE unboxing. #NewBeatsStudio
Jul 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #92 of 102
  I wonder how these compare against the yamaha pro 500 and polk audio ultrafocus 8000

I found the pro 500's to be on the uncomfortable side and a little too V shaped for my tastes. The new beats studios are much more comfortable, isolate better and are not as V shaped in their response.
I agree with hifiguy that the yamaha mt220 is a much better headphone than the pro500 interms of sound quality and comfort. Compared to the beats studios i find the mt220's more neutral and laid back but the soundstage is much bigger. The beats isolate better but sound a bit congested in comparison.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #93 of 102
Just snagged a pair of these. Does anyone know if the ear cups are replaceable? I haven't found any definitive proof, but I'm thinking not. Thanks for any insight!

I had a quick look at the pads and for what i can tell they are not replaceable. I'm not too surprised as it doesnt look like the internal battery is easily replaceable and i imagine the pads will last about as long as that.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #94 of 102
Finally got a chance to check these out in store today and i was a bit shocked at first, i had to take them off to verify that they were in fact beats lol. My instore impressions were good so i grabbed a set to take home and test out. Currently got them hooked up to my ibasso dx50 and they sound pretty darn good so far with a bit of The Roots, Tom Petty and some modern day pop. Only slight irritation is the constant hiss in the background, on certain songs its very noticeable and annoying. I guess i'll see how things with some burn in.

Update: Well after a couple of days of burn in and listening i have mixed feelings about this headphone. Initial impressions were good and by itself its not too bad sounding imo. However when i start to compare it with my Yamaha MT220's it just can't match up. Its hard to describe exactly whats wrong with it but to me it just sounds out of balance and unnatural. The balance and tonality of the yamahas just sounds amazing and real. As a portable can i think the beats would do a pretty good job with decent sound, great comfort and isolation. However for home listening there are much better alternatives.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #95 of 102
  Finally got a chance to check these out in store today and i was a bit shocked at first, i had to take them off to verify that they were in fact beats lol. My instore impressions were good so i grabbed a set to take home and test out. Currently got them hooked up to my ibasso dx50 and they sound pretty darn good so far with a bit of The Roots, Tom Petty and some modern day pop. Only slight irritation is the constant hiss in the background, on certain songs its very noticeable and annoying. I guess i'll see how things with some burn in.

Update: Well after a couple of days of burn in and listening i have mixed feelings about this headphone. Initial impressions were good and by itself its not too bad sounding imo. However when i start to compare it with my Yamaha MT220's it just can't match up. Its hard to describe exactly whats wrong with it but to me it just sounds out of balance and unnatural. The balance and tonality of the yamahas just sounds amazing and real. As a portable can i think the beats would do a pretty good job with decent sound, great comfort and isolation. However for home listening there are much better alternatives.

I too picked up a pair and after a few days of listening and comparing (maybe it wasn't a good idea to do A/B comparisons with B&W P7s) I came away with the impression that the soundstage and maybe the instrument separation on the Sudio v2 is jut not as good. I feel the same way as you do chailee80, there is something missing and the staging is what I am able to come up with. This is even after I compared them to some IEMs (NAD Viso HP20s and some B&W C5 S2). Its a bit weird, the Studios have good enough clarity and a good punch in the low end, but when I listen to certain kinds of music I don't feel them to be as open as the P7s. I expected this going in, but not quite the level I am able to discern. Although, I am being a just a tad bit analytical, these are fun sounding headphones and I've used them at work since I've had them. They are super comfortable and hold up well on my long work days. I'm still trying them out, getting used to the constant hiss of the NC. I hope I don't think my way out of them and return them. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #96 of 102
I too picked up a pair and after a few days of listening and comparing (maybe it wasn't a good idea to do A/B comparisons with B&W P7s) I came away with the impression that the soundstage and maybe the instrument separation on the Sudio v2 is jut not as good. I feel the same way as you do chailee80, there is something missing and the staging is what I am able to come up with. This is even after I compared them to some IEMs (NAD Viso HP20s and some B&W C5 S2). Its a bit weird, the Studios have good enough clarity and a good punch in the low end, but when I listen to certain kinds of music I don't feel them to be as open as the P7s. I expected this going in, but not quite the level I am able to discern. Although, I am being a just a tad bit analytical, these are fun sounding headphones and I've used them at work since I've had them. They are super comfortable and hold up well on my long work days. I'm still trying them out, getting used to the constant hiss of the NC. I hope I don't think my way out of them and return them. 

Yeh I ended up selling my ones to a friend. They look good, they're comfortable but I just didn't find myself reaching for them and they just couldn't compare to my yamaha mt220s for my home listening or my beyerdynamic t51s for portable listening. I really wanted to like them but poor sound and poor noise cancelling not to mention the horrible hiss just killed them for them.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #97 of 102
I still hear zero hiss in mine. I must have lucked out. I can hear the difference when on or off but no hiss. I like mine. Meets all my needs. Good case. Detachable cable. Sound good. Comfy.

May 7, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #102 of 102
Anyone heard the newer (I think) grey colored beats studio in Best Buy. It is the over ear version and should be the first from the left side of any Best Buy store display.
Before I get yelled at, I must say that it is so comfortable that every time I go back I don't concentrate on the sound:grimacing:
I saw them for open box $99 and I am wondering is it worth it:innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back