New Questyle CMA400i
Feb 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #361 of 1,014
That's pretty much my understanding too. Tomorrow should be interesting.
My Grace Design puts out just over 100mW and the Sennheisers are rated at a maximum of 500mW for a short burst, so to be honest, 100mW isn't bad at all. I'm not expecting a huge difference but you never know.
My main problem is that I occasionally run out of volume so I'm thinking
  1. more control in the bass where the impedance rises to 500ohms
  2. balanced cable benefit and
  3. additional volume

might make a new amp worthwhile when all added together.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #363 of 1,014
FWIW, there's more to the situation than just the wattage output. My Deckard was more powerful but the CMA400i's circuitry design is such that it (according to them) pushes more actual power despite a lower wattage. I can definitely vouch that the 400i's knob would be lower with my LCD-3 than the Deckard even though the Deckard is significantly more powerful.

I'd also argue that synergy matters. It's more than just the amp itself, it's what they're feeding.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #364 of 1,014
FWIW, there's more to the situation than just the wattage output. My Deckard was more powerful but the CMA400i's circuitry design is such that it (according to them) pushes more actual power despite a lower wattage. I can definitely vouch that the 400i's knob would be lower with my LCD-3 than the Deckard even though the Deckard is significantly more powerful.

I'd also argue that synergy matters. It's more than just the amp itself, it's what they're feeding.

Yes, agreed and understood

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #366 of 1,014
I was kinda amazed at how well the Clears worked with the 400i. I could have gone either way between the 3 and the Clear, both just paired gorgeously with it.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #367 of 1,014
I was kinda amazed at how well the Clears worked with the 400i. I could have gone either way between the 3 and the Clear, both just paired gorgeously with it.
man, synergy is the name of the game for sure... Its really nice when a piece of gear and headphone meet and sparks fly. Well.... Maybe bad example.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #368 of 1,014
man, synergy is the name of the game for sure... Its really nice when a piece of gear and headphone meet and sparks fly. Well.... Maybe bad example.

Sparks don't have wings so can't fly, I would rather say "... when a piece of gear and headphone meet and sparks sing" ... :rolling_eyes: ...

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #369 of 1,014
Sparks don't have wings so can't fly, I would rather say "... when a piece of gear and headphone meet and sparks sing" ... :rolling_eyes: ...

Speaking as someone who has accidentally plugged the wrong voltage adapter into devices in the past, sparks absolutely can fly.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #370 of 1,014
Please share with us your impressions! :)
OK, now I've compared the following:
  1. Grace Design m9xx- Single ended
  2. Questyle 400i - Single ended
  3. Questyle 400i - Balanced
I couldn't hear any noticeable difference, other than the ability to go louder using balanced, so i believe I've saved myself a few quid.
While I was there I also had a listen to MrSpeakers Aeons, Westone W80s, Audeze LDC4s and Focal Utopia. I'm really pleased to say that the only combo that was a noticeable improvement on my Senheiser HD6xx was the Utopia, but then it really ought to be at that price.
Feeling contended (until I listen to the LCD-i4 next week probably) :)

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #371 of 1,014
had to reluctantly conclude that I couldn't detect a significant difference
The biggest change I noticed from my previous setup (TEAC DAC+ifi iCan) was the liveliness of it all. To me on a pair of LCD2s, overall the instruments have a more dynamic presence and everything else has slightly less "grain" for lack of a better word. This thing can seriously startle me when a loud track comes on even at lower volumes. Nothing else I know ever did that to me, though my experience is limited to only a few basic amps. I'll keep in mind schiit stacks for their excellent performance if you couldn't find much difference! :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #372 of 1,014
OK, now I've compared the following:
  1. Grace Design m9xx- Single ended
  2. Questyle 400i - Single ended
  3. Questyle 400i - Balanced
I couldn't hear any noticeable difference, other than the ability to go louder using balanced, so i believe I've saved myself a few quid.
While I was there I also had a listen to MrSpeakers Aeons, Westone W80s, Audeze LDC4s and Focal Utopia. I'm really pleased to say that the only combo that was a noticeable improvement on my Senheiser HD6xx was the Utopia, but then it really ought to be at that price.
Feeling contended (until I listen to the LCD-i4 next week probably) :)

I've noticed that people who really like Sennheiser's mid-grade offerings never upgrade. I had a pair of 600 and 650, and while I liked them, I wasn't in love with them, however I realize that there's really nothing else on the market that can scratch that same itch.

That's how I am with Audeze. I'll take the LCD-2 (normal 2, haven't heard the 2C) over most anything aside from Audeze's higher-end stuff.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #373 of 1,014
I've noticed that people who really like Sennheiser's mid-grade offerings never upgrade. I had a pair of 600 and 650, and while I liked them, I wasn't in love with them, however I realize that there's really nothing else on the market that can scratch that same itch.

That's how I am with Audeze. I'll take the LCD-2 (normal 2, haven't heard the 2C) over most anything aside from Audeze's higher-end stuff.

Funnily enough, although I loved the LCD-2s sound and couldn't see the attraction of the 3 or 4, I sold them last year as I couldn't get on with the weight and clamping force. Did a fir bit of testing with them and the iSine 20s and eventually settled on the iSines.
These days, slightly prefer the HD6xx, especially using SonarWorks True-Fi app, which improves bass extension and soundstage.

Still keeping my eyes open for other stuff of course :wink:

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #374 of 1,014
Funnily enough, although I loved the LCD-2s sound and couldn't see the attraction of the 3 or 4, I sold them last year as I couldn't get on with the weight and clamping force. Did a fir bit of testing with them and the iSine 20s and eventually settled on the iSines.
These days, slightly prefer the HD6xx, especially using SonarWorks True-Fi app, which improves bass extension and soundstage.

Still keeping my eyes open for other stuff of course :wink:

I 'm actually jealous haha. I have a set of HD650 sitting over here, and while I like them, they don't hit me nearly like the LCD line, and that's a massive budgetary swing. Talking $200 versus $2000, literally an order of magnitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back