New project from AMB Labs announced: Gamma 1.5
Aug 23, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 25
Has anyone besides its creators had a chance to listen to this? Any thoughts or impressions?

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #19 of 25
Ok, I finally finished mine last night. Initial build didn't have sound in the right channel, because of a solder bridge between two components as well as a bad soldering job on one of the little metal film caps. After those two fixes.... WOW. This thing is really quite impressive. I'm stunned at how black the background is, even at full volume with IEHs I don't hear anything in the background.

I'm also stunned at the gain. I went for low gain because I plan on mostly using it as a DAC and with IEHs... But even less sensitive IEHs are at a comfortable volume by 9 or 10 o'clock. Even my HD600 hit a good volume level around 11-1 o'clock depending on the song. This thing puts out volume.

Kudos, amb and misterX. Very impressed so far. Next up: comparisons with the dual-ES9013 iBasso DX90 in DAC mode...

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #20 of 25
Following up on this several months later, but the y1.5 smokes the DX90, better clarity in the midrange and in treble extension. I feel that the DX90 is just a hair dark/warm, whereas the y1.5 is neutral.

Also, it's really impressive what this thing can do with the HD600, it's surprisingly dynamic. Kudos, AMB.

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #23 of 25
Yes, I built one. It is fun little project with big reward at the end. If you have moderate soldering skills then it shouldn't be a problem to solder chips in SSOP package. Proper soldering technique and magnifying glass will definitely help here. Through hole parts (resistors and capacitors) are no problem to solder at all. This was small inexpensive project for me that took me only one weekend to finish. I have to say, that γ1.5 won't beat proper size DAC due to power supply compromises and limitations since all is being powered through USB. However, The sound produced by this small package was beyond expectation. 20180107_093537.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back