New PPA w/Diamond Buffers & STEPS (pics)
Apr 1, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 116
something about coarse texture on the amplifier facet makes it more attractive than a smooth polished finish...

Gorgeous...absolutely spanking!!

it would look eveb better with a wood top/sides and bottom...

very_evil_smiley.gif

rsaavedr - lemme know as soon as you get your PPA and post pics!!
ipodstudio - need pics from you as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #17 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Excellent. One big thing with this amp is how darn quiet it is. With HD650's, source and cables connected, I can crank the volume and can't hear anything, nada, zero, zip. Absolutely black background.

Well, the amplifier itself doesn’t have any more noise with the volume cranked up as it does at a normal setting. With the volume all the way up is how you test noise of the source and input cables.

Likely, any noise is below the threshold of hearing (by 10db?). IF there were audible noise, I think that the HD650s at 300 ohms are less sensitive to noise than something like Sony headphones (at ~30 ohms). Roughly speaking. And I would guess that PPA and Sony owners will also say “no noise”. So, I’m not trying to pick a noise fight : ). BTW: I chose HD650s too.

*EDIT* Looks like the Sony CD2000 have a higher sensitivity than the Sennheiser HD650. So, noise would be slightly more appearant (IF there is any) with the Sonys.

JF

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 116
You should also try the ad8610 opamp now that you've got the diamond buffer. This buffer removes any harshness you may have experience and gives it a nice sparkle. It also improved everything else throughout the entire sound spectrum. Adding the buffer gave the amp the same kind of improvement that the Zu cable gave the hd650s.

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #21 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnFerrier
Well, the amplifier itself doesn’t have any more noise with the volume cranked up as it does at a normal setting. With the volume all the way up is how you test noise of the source and input cables.

Yeah, I kind of wondered if I was really making much sense there. All I know is with other amps and the same cables/source I could hear at least something but now I hear nothing at all. My source is battery powered and we are talking HD650's, as you said, so it's expected what I'm hearing but bottom line is the amp is unbelievably quiet with the music.

iamdone- I do plan to give the 8610's a try. BTW, I keep forgetting to ask Mark where to get them, where can one buy them? And, do they need to be mounted on an adapter or are they ready to go?

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #22 of 116
Sean, do you feel this PPA has fuller/punchier bass for the 650's compared to the Perreaux? I got the impression the Perreaux drove the bass of the Senn's with some degree of politeness, not sure if appropriate to call it weakness. It had a bit of lack of punch and snappiness. Wonder how the PPA does in comparison for you.

Guru, I will check with Larry about it just in case, but certainly I'd be glad to post pics as soon as I get the LaRocco.

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #23 of 116
Nice words guys...
redface.gif

thanks!

Couple points I wanted to comment on.
One was the noise floor. I tested the amp extensively with both Grado 225s and also Shure E2s, for the low Z impression. The Shures are really good at picking up any noise, what with the low impedance and the isolation.

Other thing was the volume placement. The leads are to make it easier to install the stepped attenuator later on without desoldering from the PPA board. As for the actual placement, it was a duplicate of Phil Downing's PPA, which was laid out so that when placed on top of the Music Hall CD player, the knob is centered over the data window on the Music Hall. FWIW.

Glad you are enjoying the amp, Sean!

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #24 of 116
Quote:

I do plan to give the 8610's a try. BTW, I keep forgetting to ask Mark where to get them, where can one buy them? And, do they need to be mounted on an adapter or are they ready to go?

You can get them from Tangent, either mounted on the adapter or the chip and adapter separately.

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/shop/

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #26 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by Voodoochile
Other thing was the volume placement. The leads are to make it easier to install the stepped attenuator later on without desoldering from the PPA board. As for the actual placement, it was a duplicate of Phil Downing's PPA, which was laid out so that when placed on top of the Music Hall CD player, the knob is centered over the data window on the Music Hall. FWIW.

Hi Mark- You're kidding! Heh, heh! You mentioned once you really liked the asymmetrical style and I agreed! I'll have to flip Phil some crap for this! I've always liked off-set volume knobs, CD drawers, etc.

rsaavedr- The bass is more "there" with the PPA compared to the Perreaux. It's more detailed, tighter, deeper. World's of difference? Night and day? Is the PPA a bass monster? No. It's better in most ways though in this regard, but it should be! Definitely well balanced in the spectrum, never sounds under presented or over presented, and very detailed/tight.

Thanks, fiddler!

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #27 of 116
Just based on spec sheets, I'd stick with the OPA627s. That would be my preference... Besides do you really want to be monkeying around with your equipment or enjoy the music? Nice amp and nice work Mark : ).

JF

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #28 of 116
Quote:

rsaavedr- The bass is more "there" with the PPA compared to the Perreaux. It's more detailed, tighter, deeper. World's of difference? Night and day? Is the PPA a bass monster? No. It's better in most ways though in this regard, but it should be! Definitely well balanced in the spectrum, never sounds under presented or over presented, and very detailed/tight.

That's good news then. No I'm not after a bass monster at all, it's just that I feel with the 650's the Perreaux left something in the bass to be desired. Great the PPA has better synergy with the 650's on that respect, to say the least.

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #29 of 116
Quote:

ipodstudio - need pics from you as well
600smile.gif

gsferarri, you bet!! I'm guessing mine will be another 4 weeks in the making, but as soon as she arrives, images will abound
very_evil_smiley.gif
BTW, I had Larry replace the Bass Boost on mine with a gain switch, as per your suggestion. Thought it would be more useful to me than the BB and it worked out much easier for Larry to do.

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #30 of 116
yeah of the opamps to try are the LT1122, AD8065, 8610, OPA637, yes i have the 637 working for me ok, with 627 or 8610 in ground ground channel, i also like the 8610 in ground with the LT1122.

LT1122 is ultra smooth and detailed, has nice midrange, great for vocals, grados will love these. So do my senns. i seem to dig this one the most with the hp1k.

opa637, more detailed version of the 627. - all Grado likes these - also all senns.

8065 - smoother darker version of the 8610 - very detailed -
ok with grado hp1, great with mspros, sr225s and senns

8610 - unforgivingly detailed, sparkles with every note, super speed, i swap to this one occasionally for classical pieces. doesnt like the hp1ks as they are a smooth phone, but loves grado mspros and sr225, and senns.

steeleblayde occasionally drops by and we have listening tests, so he brings his hp1k and mspros.

I have senn hd580s, eric343s hd600, and Grado sr225.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back