New Portable Headphones Around 40 bucks
Dec 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sjaudio

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I will shortly introduce myself, I am a young (23 years old) hifi lover and formally I only listened to floorstanding/monitor speakers with good results. Price tag was very different, from 100 bucks to around 6000 bucks which was the most expensive kit I had. I live in The Netherlands, and I'm searching for a new portable headphone for around 40 dollars.

It's just because I want to enjoy my music without spending lots of money on new loudspeakers/amplifiers and so, I just don't have enough money to buy it. This seems the best opportunity for me to listen @ high quality sound without breaking the bank.

I did order some JVC HA-S160's also know as "flats" yesterday, but I don't know if they will satisfy me enough. They are only 13 euro's, and I have a little more to spend if there is a much better choice. 

I also looked at the AKG K420/K430's and the Sennheiser PX100II's, which are about 3 times the price of the JVC's ( around 37 euro's a piece ). Does the AKG's or Sennheisers just sound so much better?

Maybe there are more nice portable headphones which you guys can suggest in my budget?

Please keep in mind, I'm quite new in this market of headphones, but I know a lot about speakers/amplifiers and so on.

Kind regards,

Sjaudio

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 14
I just received an e-mail, I also can buy the AKG K99 second hand (3 times used and not even burn in yet) with guarantee and box, for 35 euro's including shipping. But they aren't very portable through. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 14
The Sennheiser PX100II is much better than the Portapro. Both are open and have plenty of bass, however the bass on the PX100II is better controlled and it has better treble. Both of these are very warm sounding though. If you want a bright sounding headphone with plenty of detail, then get the new JVC HA-S400. It is around $30 in the US. The JVC HA-S160 is excellent though for the price.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
The Sennheiser PX100II is much better than the Portapro. Both are open and have plenty of bass, however the bass on the PX100II is better controlled and it has better treble. Both of these are very warm sounding though. If you want a bright sounding headphone with plenty of detail, then get the new JVC HA-S400. It is around $30 in the US. The JVC HA-S160 is excellent though for the price.

Yes, the HA-S400 is a great headphone:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-30mm-carbon-nanotubes

And if you want more bass (and an overall incredible sound) for approx $70 shipped, the HA-S500 is awesome:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-get-your-pic-idea-ready-for-the-21st-ha-s500-pic-for-cheapo-gear-day

If I had to choose between the Portapro or the PX100II, I would go for the Koss KSC75's on a Parts express headband. I still marvel at the SQ coming out of that combo.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 14
First of all, thank you guys for the reply's.

I know have a full list of headphones which I do like:

JVC HA-S160 - 19 euro
JVC HA-S400 - 37 euro
AKG K420 - 37 euro
AKG K430 - 36 euro
AKG K99 - 36.75 euro
Sennheiser PX100II 34 euro
Sennheiser HD202II 30 euro
Koss Portapro 36,50 euro
Audio-Technica ATH-WM55 35 euro

All prices are including shipment. 

I'm just wondering, which one do you think is the best? I probably going to use them in various conditions, I often travel by bus and that's very noisy, I don't like to hear others when I'm listening to music. I don't want to bother other people to. So I guess a closed one would be better? 

Music I mostly listen to is: hiphop/rapp, electro/house, top40/pop, some smooth jazz with nice vocals. I never listen to rock, metal, alternative or classic genres. 

Which one do you guys think is worth the money over the HA-S160 which is the cheapest, all the other ones are 2 times the price... 

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
First of all, thank you guys for the reply's.

I know have a full list of headphones which I do like:

JVC HA-S160 - 19 euro
JVC HA-S400 - 37 euro
AKG K420 - 37 euro
AKG K430 - 36 euro
AKG K99 - 36.75 euro
Sennheiser PX100II 34 euro
Sennheiser HD202II 30 euro
Koss Portapro 36,50 euro
Audio-Technica ATH-WM55 35 euro

All prices are including shipment. 

I'm just wondering, which one do you think is the best? I probably going to use them in various conditions, I often travel by bus and that's very noisy, I don't like to hear others when I'm listening to music. I don't want to bother other people to. So I guess a closed one would be better? 

Music I mostly listen to is: hiphop/rapp, electro/house, top40/pop, some smooth jazz with nice vocals. I never listen to rock, metal, alternative or classic genres. 

Which one do you guys think is worth the money over the HA-S160 which is the cheapest, all the other ones are 2 times the price... 

If you need isolation, then for sure the SA160's, PX100II and Portapro's won't provide you with any. Out of the others, the only ones that I am familar with are the S400's, and they are fairly good at isolating (I have the S500's, and I can't hear anything that's going around me). If you feel like it, you should post your above list in the S400 thread. A lot of people there have had a lot of different headphones (including most likely the ones that you listed above), so you will get some good feedback I'm sure.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 14
Cool. You may want to do it here also:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 14
I did order the JVC HA-S160 Flats already, so I will not cancel that order. I gonna give them a try first and of cource I will share my opinion right here.
If they really suprise me, maybe I wouldn't look further at all. 
cool.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 14
To give you guys an update:

I did receive the JVC HA-S160 past week, and they are just ridiculous good for the price! I've got the chance to listen more portable and in-ear phones, and the only one which was better for me personally was the Sennheiser HD25II, but that's 10 times the price of this tiny little JVC.

I tested the following phones and the JVC was clearly the winner for me, without the Sennheiser HD25II through:

-Sennheiser PX100 (old version)
-Sennheiser HD25 II
-Sony MDR-XB300 
-Koss KCS-75
-Sennheiser CX200 street II (in-ear) 
-Sony MDR-EX50 (in-ear)

Because of these tests I decided to order the many spoken JVC HA-RX700 also. So probably I will use the JVC HA-S160 on the go, and de HA-RX700 at home.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 14
You should order the new JVC HA-S400 headphone. The carbon nanotube technology gives great detail. I don't have the HA-S400 yet, but do have the JVC HA-FX40 carbon nanotube IEM. The HA-FX40 has great detail, but is also very bright sounding. The HA-S400 is said to sound similar to it. At under $30, the HA-S400 seems like it is also a great deal. The HA-FX40 is only around $18. Get one of those as well.

The JVC HA-S650 is great for those who like a warmer headphone. It is basically a closed version of the Sennheiser PX100 but imo even better than the PX100. Since you weren't that crazy about the px100 though, you might prefer a brighter headphone rather than a warmer one, so the JVC HA-S400 seems like it might be great for you.

For better isolation than the HA-S160, use an IEM(in the ear isolating earphone). The JVC HA-FX40 and Panasonic RPHJE355 IEMs are each under $20. The HA-FX40 is brighter and has slightly more detail, while the HJE355 has better midrange and a more normal amount of treble. I like both though.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
To give you guys an update:

I did receive the JVC HA-S160 past week, and they are just ridiculous good for the price! I've got the chance to listen more portable and in-ear phones, and the only one which was better for me personally was the Sennheiser HD25II, but that's 10 times the price of this tiny little JVC.

I tested the following phones and the JVC was clearly the winner for me, without the Sennheiser HD25II through:

-Sennheiser PX100 (old version)
-Sennheiser HD25 II
-Sony MDR-XB300 
-Koss KCS-75
-Sennheiser CX200 street II (in-ear) 
-Sony MDR-EX50 (in-ear)

Because of these tests I decided to order the many spoken JVC HA-RX700 also. So probably I will use the JVC HA-S160 on the go, and de HA-RX700 at home.

I auditioned the ksc75's (on headband) and the ha160 at the same time, and for me, the ksc75's had much more detail, especially in the mids. If you ever get the chance to throw the ksc75's on a headband, I think that you will be impressed. I actually hadn't listened to my ksc75's for a while (too many knew phones - blame it on head-fi), but I just threw them now on due to your post, and wow - I am still blown away by them. They actually make me wonder why I ever went on buying other headphones - they are that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back