New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 28, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #631 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by nv88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could some nice soul do a step by step with pictures of switching the OP amps? I'm sure a lot of us noobs would be greatful. I would also like the source and parts numbers to make sure I'm buying the right things.

That would really be great.

I am waiting for a D1 as well and all this op amp rolling stuff is really intriguing but I'm a total noob in this regard.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #633 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD8397 are surface mount devices (smd) in a soic form of chip. They have to be either soldered directly to a printed circuit board (pcb) or to an adapter that will go into a socket on the pcb. The socket takes chips that are in a larger package called a dual in-line package (DIP), but the 8397 only comes in the soic form so you have to solder it to the adapter but they are small and experience in soldering is needed. Brown Dog makes adapters for this purpose.

I'm in the UK and I just did a check on the availability of the AD8397 and I see that it is available in two versions - 'SOIC' and 'SOIC-Epad'. Does anyone know what's the difference?

I was looking at the close-up pics in post #281 of this thread (3rd pic from top). Are the three op amps I see there all soldered in, the buffers on the left (NE5532Ps) and the amplifying op amp on the right (AD823)?

Am I right in thinking that to change the buffers one can de-solder the NE5532Ps, replace them with Brown Dog adapters, and then plug the new op amps (eg AD8397s) into the adapters?

Thank you for any advice and help.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #634 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have sonic impressions with Grados? I have (generally) found HD650-synnergetic amps to sound terrible with the RS1.

What is the amp gain? Is it low enough for low impedance IEMs?

thanks in advance
rs1smile.gif

The amp gain is 6dB

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #635 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD8397 are surface mount devices (smd) in a soic form of chip. They have to be either soldered directly to a printed circuit board (pcb) or to an adapter that will go into a socket on the pcb. The socket takes chips that are in a larger package called a dual in-line package (DIP), but the 8397 only comes in the soic form so you have to solder it to the adapter but they are small and experience in soldering is needed. Brown Dog makes adapters for this purpose.

So with the Brown Dog adapters, no soldering is required?

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #636 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cause I only want a decent DAC right now
cool.gif

I can see you WTB a MOVE, maybe its time for you to reconsider after reading this thread
wink.gif
With some easy opamp rolling, you got yourself a MOVE + a better DAC

I am leaning towards the MOVE because many have explained to me in full detail the sound signature of the two (stock), and the D1 DAC seems to have a back row type of soundstage which I am not looking for, and the MOVE's DAC provides a much smoother midrange. All this opamp rolling will not change how the DAC will sound. Also I won't be running this directly off of my USB port, but with an AC adapter. Of course I haven't heard either myself, but this is the chance I have to take when money is of consequence.

Of course I'm still teetering back and forth. This choice is so hard. I'm sure whichever one I get, I'll be happy with.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #637 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So with the Brown Dog adapters, no soldering is required?

Yes you have to solder the chip onto the adapter

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #638 of 2,626
I have 1 hour of burn-in on my D1, and it is not as smooth as my Tomahawk yet, and the bass isn't filled out yet.

Gain doesn't seem to be a problem - It will play as loud as the Tomahawk. But, the D1 starts to sound a little-bit fuzzier than the Tomahawk past 50% volume on the iPod nano, while the Tomahawk doesn't get fuzzy till 90% on the iPod. I typically don't listen with the ipod past 40-50%, but sometimes with certain live recordings I'll go up to 80% with the Tomahawk and it "feels" live. I never listen louder than that anyways.

Doing volume matching, the iPod nano at 90% of full volume direct to headphones without amp sounds very similar to the D1 with the nano plugged in at 50% in terms of quality and volume, so the D1 is NOT making the source sound worse. I only tried this with the Sennheiser PX100 as I was in a rush to get out the door today. I really need to try it with the E500 and Ultrasone HFI700's later.

I haven't tried a line out or DAC input yet. I plan to check the sound once a day and leave it running while I enjoy the Tomahawk... When my link cables arrive, I'll be using Dock connector line-out from that day on, not headphone out.

So far, I am NOT unhappy I bought this amp. It does push the boundaries of portable vs the Tomahawk, but I sling a fanny pack over my shoulder to hold my toys and guns, so it'll fit there if needed
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #639 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 1 hour of burn-in on my D1, and it is not as smooth as my Tomahawk yet, and the bass isn't filled out yet.

Gain doesn't seem to be a problem - It will play as loud as the Tomahawk. But, the D1 starts to sound a little-bit fuzzier than the Tomahawk past 50% volume on the iPod nano, while the Tomahawk doesn't get fuzzy till 90% on the iPod. I typically don't listen with the ipod past 40-50%, but sometimes with certain live recordings I'll go up to 80% with the Tomahawk and it "feels" live. I never listen louder than that anyways.

Do you amplify the headphone out?

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #640 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it really hard to tell the difference between the 2 DACs, as it is not possible to run the Move DAC thru the D1 whereas one can route the D1 DAC output thru the Move.

The differences between them, therefore, are more between amps sections than DAC outputs.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed in the DAC in either amp.

eek.gif
eek.gif
I expected the D1's DAC to be MUCH better than the one in the MOVE...

Dont tell me the difference between these two are subtle:
1. MOVE DAC -> MOVE AMP -> headphone
2. D1 DAC -> D1 AMP(with opamp rolling) -> headphone

Cause if it is, then I think it means that the D1's DAC arent as good as I expected it to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am leaning towards the MOVE because many have explained to me in full detail the sound signature of the two (stock), and the D1 DAC seems to have a back row type of soundstage which I am not looking for, and the MOVE's DAC provides a much smoother midrange. All this opamp rolling will not change how the DAC will sound. Also I won't be running this directly off of my USB port, but with an AC adapter. Of course I haven't heard either myself, but this is the chance I have to take when money is of consequence.

Of course I'm still teetering back and forth. This choice is so hard. I'm sure whichever one I get, I'll be happy with.

If the difference between the two setup I mentioned above IS subtle, then I guess its just the matter of preference.(which maybe the MOVE suits you better)

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #641 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp gain is 6dB

OK cool thanks...

Does it employ some kind of Voltage step-up power supply circuit? +/-1.2V by itself hardly seems like enough to drive the HD650 to appreciable dynamic levels. I'm surprised it runs for 40 hours... thats pretty good, although I think some AA cells are up to 3000+ mah capacity.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #642 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes you have to solder the chip onto the adapter

Now I am confused. AD8066 is also SOIC. Does this mean that it has to be soldered into SOIC8 to DIP8 adaptor first, before it can be inserted into LR opamp slot or DIP sockets are only used for buffers? Can it be just inserted into Brown Dog adaptor without soldering?

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #643 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
I expected the D1's DAC to be MUCH better than the one in the MOVE...

Dont tell me the difference between these two are subtle:
1. MOVE DAC -> MOVE AMP -> headphone
2. D1 DAC -> D1 AMP(with opamp rolling) -> headphone

Cause if it is, then I think it means that the D1's DAC arent as good as I expected it to be.

If the difference between the two setup I mentioned above IS subtle, then I guess its just the matter of preference.(which maybe the MOVE suits you better)

The difference between the move and stock d1 *amp* is not subtle. The move is much more musical, fluid. I find the D1's bass end to be a little too pronounced. I like bass but it can't overpower the mids/highs. The D1 bass overpowers the midrange. For that matter, the move is more musical/fluid than the Hornet M too to give you a frame of reference.

Actually, the D1 DAC is very nice for some genres (jazz) but I don't like how it puts you back in the 5th row on rock tracks vs the move. The move has you right up front and coupled with its fluidity, it just sounds better to my ears.

Now if you claim the D1 amp sounds the best after opamp rolling, please tell us what opamps you are plugging in that specifically outperform move and in what areas. I assume you are a move owner and not making baseless statements, no?

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #644 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the UK and I just did a check on the availability of the AD8397 and I see that it is available in two versions - 'SOIC' and 'SOIC-Epad'. Does anyone know what's the difference?

I was looking at the close-up pics in post #281 of this thread (3rd pic from top). Are the three op amps I see there all soldered in, the buffers on the left (NE5532Ps) and the amplifying op amp on the right (AD823)?

Am I right in thinking that to change the buffers one can de-solder the NE5532Ps, replace them with Brown Dog adapters, and then plug the new op amps (eg AD8397s) into the adapters?

Thank you for any advice and help.

Hi,

I'm in the UK too and interested in a D1 for use at work. From the pics you mention the opamps are all socketed as far as I can see so the only soldering would be to adapt any new opamps into the 8pin dip style.

Will have to check what opamps I have left over from my Xin Supermacro opamp rolling days.

Have you received one yet or still waiting, was delivery cost reasonable?

Steve

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #645 of 2,626
""Am I right in thinking that to change the buffers one can de-solder the NE5532Ps, replace them with Brown Dog adapters, and then plug the new op amps (eg AD8397s) into the adapters?""

The 5532's are dip chips, they are not on an adapter they just pull out of the socket. The 8397 is a smd in a soic package (they are smaller) and need to be soldered onto the Brown Dog or like adapter so they can go into the same sockets that the 5532 were pulled out of.

Look at the first page of this thread and you can study the images of the internal structure of the D1 to get an idea of the chip appearances and the 8616 on an adapter and the 5532's which are in the same type of socket but they are in a dip package (chip form).

Until you have a few hundred hours on the D1 it is hard to judge the sound of the dac or the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back