New Player in town : Meze 99 Classics
Nov 3, 2015 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

dan.gheorghe

1000+ Head-Fier
I've recently discovered these headphones and I must say that I love them. I can't think of another closed headphone that brought me so much joy with classical / instrumental music. It has a wonderful stage, but also very good details and transient response.

It's my favorite portable closed headphone at the moment and one of my favorite headphones of any type. 

You can read my review here.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 44
I had a pair of Meze 99 classics years ago. Hated them.
That pair had distorted bass and lacked high end. They sounded like cheap $20 headphones, but looked great.

But from your link it looks as if they have been upgraded as they look different from what I had. Hopefully the sound is improved as well.
Cheers.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 44
That pair had distorted bass and lacked high end. They sounded like cheap $20 headphones, but looked great.

But from your link it looks as if they have been upgraded as they look different from what I had. Hopefully the sound is improved as well.
Cheers.

@Carlsan The headphone model you had years ago could have been the 66 or the 88. Those models have been discontinued a while back. 

We are aware of the shortcomings of our previous Meze models and have worked hard over the last two years to raise standards to a higher levels.

The first results of this effort is the 99 Classics.
This closed back headphone is a new generation model that is being launched to the market as we speak (November 2015) and it marks the beginning of a new era for Meze in terms of build and sound quality. 
We will be attending CanJam events and will be at CES2016 where you can check them out  yourself.

@dan.gheorghe Thanks you for the first headfier review of the 99Classics. It is great feedback for us. Glad you liked them!

Thank you all,

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Nov 4, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 44

Cheers.

Like Meze said, these are new headphones, they sound like nothing you described with the old ones.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 44
  Looks nice. To me, unfortunately the review reads like an ad.
Nice review, colour me interested

I assure you it is not an ad.  I always write my honest impressions. HeadMania is my website and it is a hobby of mine. I don't make any profit from it. I actually spend money to keep it going and to remove the ads from wordpress. What you read there are my honest impressions. I've got nothing to hide and nothing to promote and I only write reviews of products that I appreciate. I don't have time to spend on negative reviews as I do have a real job of course to support my family, myself and this hobby of course :p.

I try to be as objective as I can but I always advise people to listen for themselves, as sometimes you cannot be 100% objective in the sound description, but  I do try my best to achieve that.

I found out about these headphones recently. I've seen the classics 99 this year at the ifi audio stand but didn't have time to listen to them. I actually didn't know anything about them. When I came back to Romania, I was surprised to see that the founders of Meze are fellow Romanians. 

I was actually a little anxious before hearing them. I wanted them to sound good, but as I told Meze, I wouldn't hide anything from the audience and that I first need to hear them to see if they deserve a review. I must be honest and admit that I was really glad to see them largely exceeding my expectations.

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 44
I just got my hands on the Meze 99 Classics and all I can say is..... WOW! 

My full review should be coming in a few days, but these are special headphones. 

Soundstage and instrument separation are wonderful.  Great clear sound as well.  I'm really liking these.

Not from my photoshoot, but just a quick picture of the 99:

--

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 44

I assure you it is not an ad.  I always write my honest impressions. HeadMania is my website and it is a hobby of mine. I don't make any profit from it. I actually spend money to keep it going and to remove the ads from wordpress. What you read there are my honest impressions. I've got nothing to hide and nothing to promote and I only write reviews of products that I appreciate. I don't have time to spend on negative reviews as I do have a real job of course to support my family, myself and this hobby of course :p.

I try to be as objective as I can but I always advise people to listen for themselves, as sometimes you cannot be 100% objective in the sound description, but  I do try my best to achieve that.

I found out about these headphones recently. I've seen the classics 99 them this year at the ifi audio stand but didn't have time to listen to them. I actually didn't know anything about them. When I came back to Romania, I was surprised to see that the founders of Meze are fellow Romanians. 

I was actually a little anxious before hearing them. I wanted them to sound good, but as I told Meze, I wouldn't hide anything from the audience and that I first need to hear them to see if they deserve a review. I must be honest and admit that I was really glad to see them largely exceeding my expectations.

Hey,
Glad to hear that. These headphones sound very interesting, to say the least. Any headphone eliciting a comparison with HD800 is bound to be a good one.
Saw the site, and these are on my radar.
Waiting for a black friday deal or something on them.

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #11 of 44
Hi Guys, I didnt heard those headphones but I just wanted to jump in and congratulate to the designers that made those beauties. They really look great and seems to be made for last and with love. I really like when new guys jump in to the market and show old dinosaurs how to do a decent fresh design. Keep up the good work. Nice smooth shape of the cups and I really like the plug hole, bit like in Dharma but Dharma also looks great. Price also seems to be fair. Nice one

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 44
  Hi Guys, I didnt heard those headphones but I just wanted to jump in and congratulate to the designers that made those beauties. They really look great and seems to be made for last and with love. I really like when new guys jump in to the market and show old dinosaurs how to do a decent fresh design. Keep up the good work. Nice smooth shape of the cups and I really like the plug hole, bit like in Dharma but Dharma also looks great. Price also seems to be fair. Nice one

A lot of time and effort has been put into these headphones, thank you for your honest appreciation! 

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 44
So after some lengthy organizing and conducting my inventory, I realized I currently own 50 headphones.

Funny thing is every time I reach out to listen to music, I end up with the 99 Classics in my hand.  It is such a great sounding headphone.

- Justin

--

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #14 of 44
  So after some lengthy organizing and conducting my inventory, I realized I currently own 50 headphones.

Funny thing is every time I reach out to listen to music, I end up with the 99 Classics in my hand.  It is such a great sounding headphone.

- Justin

--

Justin,

The whole team is very happy that you liked them so much. 

By the way, congrats for your headphone collection! The passion you have for them is quite obvious. 

Thank you for your appreciation! May I ask what choice of music you went for? 

- Lorand

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #15 of 44
Originally Posted by LorandCz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

May I ask what choice of music you went for?

To be honest, I'm very lucky to have a decent size music collection [FLAC].  So I just put my TEAC HA-P90SD on random and let the 99 Classic play everything I throw at it, as it handles all genres so well.

The files that play are pretty much every type of music style you can think of.  I like it all.

-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back