New phones for work
Aug 16, 2002 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

2 channel

500+ Head-Fier
OK, heres a tough one. I'm losing my office do to a transfer, and since my Tivoli Model Two won't work in a cubicle environment, I need new phones for work. I will have to take them on and off frequently so Ettys (or any other earplugs wont work). I also will need to hear of the phone rings etc, so isolation is out of the question, and they can't leak much so open phones are not practicle. Am I asking too much? What I'm looking for is something that looks like typical stock headphones that come w/ a cd player, but with much better sound. Oh yea, and I don't want to spend more than about $60

Any suggestions?

Aug 16, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 12
You might be okay with closed phones that don't isolate so well. Even with the HD280s, I could hear the phone ring. I imagine it would be even easier with the Sony V6s.

However, it sounds to me that the Koss Portapros would be good for you.

Aug 16, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 12
MX500s? They don't over-leak.

Aug 16, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 12
I have been using the Koss PortaPro's for a while and they do a pretty good job. No complaints and I hear the phone most times. I have it set fairly low so I do miss a few.

When I do not want to hear anything out come the Etys.

Aug 16, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 12
I'm using Grado 60's (& Koss KSC-35's when the 60's get too warm or uncomfortable). I can hear my phone and yank the cans off pretty quick. I guess it depends on the noise level of your environment, but I have no problem with leakage. And they're definitely within your budget.

Aug 16, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 12
How come no one has suggested the Denon AHD-950's?!? Those are closed headphones that don't block a whole lot of outside noise, but that don't leak.... why not get those???

Aug 16, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
How come no one has suggested the Denon AHD-950's?!? Those are closed headphones that don't block a whole lot of outside noise, but that don't leak.... why not get those???

Aren't those like $200? Mad expensive.

Aug 16, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel
What I'm looking for is something that looks like typical stock headphones that come w/ a cd player, but with much better sound. Oh yea, and I don't want to spend more than about $60

Typical stock headphones but with much better sound == Koss PortaPro.

Right now they're half-price from Koss if you use the coupon in the thread hokie linked to!

Aug 16, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks guys,
Just ordered the PortaPros for $25.00 direct from Koss with the coupon code!

Aug 17, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Sorry to jump in, but I'm also looking for office (cubicle) phones - do the portapros leak less than the KSC-35? The leakage is the only thing that's stopped me from bringing the 35s in to work, but if I can get close to that sound with a good bit less leakage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back